Onee chan goes mooooooo~~~

Agentt

Thighs
So, I noticed something.

The onee san figures in anime say "mou" a lot.
It's almost like their sigh.

If an onee san asks for a hug, and get refused, she would most like say,
"Mou~~ you are making me sad."

Or on a hot day, she is likely to say,
"Onee san is sweating here, mou."

I tried to look for a clip on youtube, but the only onee san related stuff was an "Ara Ara compilation"

So, am I hallucinating?

Like, I distinctly remember many saying, "mou". Bu-but I don't think I have ever seen anything like that in a manga or even subtitles of any any anime.

I don't know what to believe now....

BlackKnightX

So, I noticed something.

I tried to look for a clip on youtube, but the only onee san related stuff was an "Ara Ara compilation"

So, am I hallucinating?

Like, I distinctly remember many saying, "mou". Bu-but I don't think I have ever seen anything like that in a manga or even subtitles of any any anime.

I think it means something like “Geez“ or “Boo” or something like that?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

Ellen_Dunkel

So, I noticed something.

So, am I hallucinating?

Mou means something like a pout if I recall correctly. It's not specific to oneesans, just a cutesy noise

SkippyForfex

So, I noticed something.

So, am I hallucinating?

Mou has two meaning, if I'm correct. One is used to like express frustration or like a sigh or 'Jeez'.
And the other means 'Already', probably. Like "Mou Owatta?', which means 'Is it over already?'
I hear these all the time in anime.

Jemini

Of course you don't see it in manga or subtitles. They're translated to English.

The only way you're going to catch the people saying "mou" is, in descending order of accessibility, if...
1. You catch a lucky example where the translator does not translate the phrase.
2. You have a sharp ear and happen to catch an anime character saying it, even though the subtitles don't translate it.
3. You understand enough Japanese to at least sort of understand what characters are saying (in which case you are going to really start catching this phrase all the time.)
4. You understand enough Japanese to read untranslated manga.

FYI: I'm at #3 on this list. So, yes. I notice it just about every time a character says this in an anime.

Agentt

Thighs
Of course you don't see it in manga or subtitles. They're translated to English.

The only way you're going to catch the people saying "mou" is, in descending order of accessibility, if...
1. You catch a lucky example where the translator does not translate the phrase.
2. You have a sharp ear and happen to catch an anime character saying it, even though the subtitles don't translate it.
3. You understand enough Japanese to at least sort of understand what characters are saying (in which case you are going to really start catching this phrase all the time.)
4. You understand enough Japanese to read untranslated manga.

FYI: I'm at #3 on this list. So, yes. I notice it just about every time a character says this in an anime.
Ah, I should be #2 then.

What a convenient list for gauging one's weeb level, hm