Opinion that is Unpopular

Ace_Arriande

To continue the trend of unpopular opinion posting because I think it's funny and want to contribute to the shitposting but while actually keeping things relevant to the forum: what is an unpopular reader-related opinion that you have?

For example:
What is an unpopular trope that you love?
What is an unpopular story that you love?
Who is an unpopular character that you love?
Sure, I guess you could also be all negative and basic and talk about how your unpopular opinion is something that you don't like that other people do like, but let's try to be wholesome and positive instead in our unpopularity because that's the best.

My unpopular as-a-reader-related opinion: more authors should experiment with non-standard text formatting. Part of what appeals to me regarding LitRPGs is that they bring something new to how books are formatted. Sure, it might just be something as simple as in-text windows and tables and all that, but I love it. Pages don't only need to have text on them. And, even when there is only text, that text doesn't have to be the same standard text formatting that everybody is used to. Just look at something like how the House of Leaves has formatted some of its pages. Or another book I read - when it came to the narrator realizing that they were surrounded in the forest by clones of something, it was basically just three pages of a single repeating, bolded phrase to really drive in just being surrounded by overwhelming repetition. Personally, I love that sort of stuff. Or in my copy of Alice in Wonderland, there's one part where the character is telling a story to Alice, but his entire story is formatted like a tornado on the page where the lines of text start off wide at the top and get thinner and thinner until the bottom of the page to represent Alice's attention sort of drifting away and paying less attention to the rambling story. As for why I think it's unpopular, I've seen a good share of people complain about such formatting as it makes things more difficult to read and understand, and it's also just extremely rare to see in general. So, that's my unpopular opinion. As a reader, I love seeing unique formatting and authors actually making full use of the format that they have to work with.

atgongumerki

Comment:
I think if more authors were to create these things, it would gain more goodwill.
But doing these things is work, and it is a high risk, so ...

My unpopularity:
Sometimes I hate the mc so much that I am secretly rooting for the villain!
Then when I find myself doing so, my enjoyment of the story vanishes.
The villain never wins. Which is quite sad.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
people often feel surprised when i tell them I write more than I read, or that I don't really have an inspiration besides some references to set me straight on track. i don't like reading another guy's book while I'm in the middle of a writing process. it ruins my writing style and winds up fucking with me for half a week. i even had instances where i'd actively change my plot because I thought the book was good and that I want to copy its story. it was only when the fad faded when I realized it didn't fit my story at all and retroactively fucks with all the worldbuilding and tonality of the previous chapters.

i guess you could call this less of an unpopular opinion and more of a personal problem. it;s just that I see people say READ LOTS and I find the people who writes those sorts of advice tend to be really, really amateur (eh fuck it they're bad, okay? they're straight up bad with a capital B) with no more than 20k words under their belt.

also I hate unpopular opinions as a thing. it's less of a fresh angle or perspective of a popular topic and more of a look at me I think differently does that make me special over the hundred other contrarians on this fucking planet kind of thing at this point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29316

Hmm...

I think one of the unpopular stories that I read is that one social justice book about a guy who gets exposed to the corruption of the government around him and he kills himself in the end. It's pretty depressing. I only read that book because it was recommended to me...

Also, I don't like the author of that story. He's dividing our country by playing politics, and now we're suffering because of people like him.

Oh yeah, he's popular coz he's a National Artist.

D

Deleted member 29316

people often feel surprised when i tell them I write more than I read, or that I don't really have an inspiration besides some references to set me straight on track. i don't like reading another guy's book while I'm in the middle of a writing process. it ruins my writing style and winds up fucking with me for half a week. i even had instances where i'd actively change my plot because I thought the book was good and that I want to copy it's story. it was when the fad faded when I realized it didn't fit my story at all and retroactively fucks with all the worldbuilding and tonality of the previous chapters.
One of the reasons why I don't read while I'm in the middle of writing my work.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
To continue the trend of unpopular opinion posting because I think it's funny and want to contribute to the shitposting but while actually keeping things relevant to the forum: what is an unpopular reader-related opinion that you have?

For example:
What is an unpopular trope that you love?
What is an unpopular story that you love?
Who is an unpopular character that you love?
Sure, I guess you could also be all negative and basic and talk about how your unpopular opinion is something that you don't like that other people do like, but let's try to be wholesome and positive instead in our unpopularity because that's the best.

My unpopular as-a-reader-related opinion: more authors should experiment with non-standard text formatting. Part of what appeals to me regarding LitRPGs is that they bring something new to how books are formatted. Sure, it might just be something as simple as in-text windows and tables and all that, but I love it. Pages don't only need to have text on them. And, even when there is only text, that text doesn't have to be the same standard text formatting that everybody is used to. Just look at something like how the House of Leaves has formatted some of its pages. Or another book I read - when it came to the narrator realizing that they were surrounded in the forest by clones of something, it was basically just three pages of a single repeating, bolded phrase to really drive in just being surrounded by overwhelming repetition. Personally, I love that sort of stuff. Or in my copy of Alice in Wonderland, there's one part where the character is telling a story to Alice, but his entire story is formatted like a tornado on the page where the lines of text start off wide at the top and get thinner and thinner until the bottom of the page to represent Alice's attention sort of drifting away and paying less attention to the rambling story. As for why I think it's unpopular, I've seen a good share of people complain about such formatting as it makes things more difficult to read and understand, and it's also just extremely rare to see in general. So, that's my unpopular opinion. As a reader, I love seeing unique formatting and authors actually making full use of the format that they have to work with.

As should be known, I have a hate LitRPG. Not because I actually dislike the system - which I do partially due to implications that you need to use an excel sheet to get most out of it, but no character thought about using math and instead gets abilities conveniently handled to them - , but because in many stories the LitRPG tag is there for no other purpose than to bandwagon. <.<

to me, those blue litrpg tables are fucking ugly

it's much better to just list it in text

seeing an actual table in the middle of a story look really jarring.

also, I FUCKING HATE HUGE WALL OF TEXTS. those who publish their first chapter without any spacing or paragraphs shouldn't bother posting in the first place.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I dislike gender-bender. I don't understand the appeal of it. All it is, is a thinly veiled excuse by most male writers to write from a male perspective while still having a female MC and engage in yuri escapades. Usually, because the writer is incapable of actually writing from a genuine female perspective.

I dislike the Japanese MC for the most part. Their insistence of "purity" or whatever and their male Mc's being submissive annoys me to no end. No man, unless he is gay, is going to let a beautiful woman practically gyrate all over him and NOT do anything. Bullshit. They might get nervous and run out of shyness, but after the fourth and fifth time? Nah. unrealistic. That and their insistence of White-Knighting for justice. Maybe I'm cynical, but I find their concept of Justice unrealistic in practice and execution. I've been loving some of the newer works that are basically insulting and exposing the darker sides of white knight-ism and "heroic'" characters. Though even those tend to fall into the pitfalls that Anti-Hero MC's normally do. Its why I mostly read Korean Manwha's only. Chinese-written is another mess that would need a separate post since I have the most gripe with them.

Tsundere's. I don't understand that either. It's not cute. If a real woman beat you because she liked you, I'm pretty sure that 'relationship' you have wouldn't get far. So her hitting me, would be the last time she would do it. One way or the other.

Though I suppose my biggest unpopular opinion is when people use the "show dont tell advice". That is such crap. I wish people would stop saying it. It is archaic and faulty as useful advice. Even the word "show" is used incorrectly. It is called story-telling. Not "show-telling". By the very act of writing a story that others will read, you are TELLING the story. It has always been called Story-Telling. I honestly never heard that shit advice until the past 5-6 years, and now everyone is spouting it like its some kind of profound statement. As if it imparts wisdom. It isn't and it doesn't.

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
I hate very absurd "shounenish" characters when most MC's will always tell "You must believe it! Your success will be in no time!" or "I want to be God so that I will be recognized from not being underdog for the rest of life" Hahahaa... talking about Naruto or Fairy Tail around here. Like seriously? Shut the fuck up before villains will go right bust into your asses despite being a "good person". I also hate black-and-white morality where villains should do bad things for the sake of bad things while heroes should do good things for the sake of good things. Like if you want your story to be relatable, you could mix the gray morality and distort the facts all you want if you want to write a fantasy.

Also, Korean drama shows (most especially the romance) are really absurd and unnecessary context of fanservice as always except most Korean manhwa with distinct themes and fascinating storytelling as they don't copy every romance cliches (especially the first meeting is bumping each other's shoulder) for every time... every show. I also want something that hasn't been motivated by the financial urge instead of artistic urge.

Ace_Arriande

my popular opinion is that y'all suck at being wholesome and giving praise to things instead of hating on things. smh. You know that some positivity every now and then is good for you, right? You don't have to always go on hate rants, right? You can go on happy positive rants praising the stuff you like?

Jamminrabbit

[Unpopular Opinion] I rather like the current trending system, as I'm more often seeing newer novels have a chance up there. Seeing fresh authors dabbling in writing for the first time jump for joy that people are enjoying their stories is exciting, and I hope it continues to encourage them to write more.

The system isn't perfect. No trending system is perfect unless your novel is up there. Maybe if those of you that spend so much time complaining about trending spent that time writing more instead, you'd actually be up there. :blob_uwu:

forli

It feels like I might be the only one, but I actually like long titles for stories. They let me get an idea of what the story is about even when I only see it in a list such as 'latest updates' or 'similar series', and they can even be funny by themselves some times.

When I see a story with a title like 'protagonist name' or 'random word' I usually won't even get interested enough to check the synopsis because there are just too many stories around to check them all out.

BenJepheneT

my popular opinion is that y'all suck at being wholesome and giving praise to things instead of hating on things. smh. You know that some positivity every now and then is good for you, right? You don't have to always go on hate rants, right? You can go on happy positive rants praising the stuff you like?
But doing that is infinitely more boring than actually going to enjoy the stuff you like instead. Why go on positive tangents when you can just go ahead and enjoy that thing? We rant because we DON'T WANT the bad shit happening around us, and thus we vent. Why do I wanna vent about good shit? I wanna keep it in, baby.

Ace_Arriande

But doing that is infinitely more boring than actually going to enjoy the stuff you like instead. Why go on positive tangents when you can just go ahead and enjoy that thing? We rant because we DON'T WANT the bad shit happening around us, and thus we vent. Why do I wanna vent about good shit? I wanna keep it in, baby.
You get to spread the joy to other people and, if you really love something, wouldn't you want it to succeed even more by spreading its name and what's so great about it? Show that shit off, fam. Not to mention that being positive makes other people feel more positive and basically creates a feedback loop of positivity, and I personally prefer to see people happy and positive rather than negative and constantly upset at everything. You be negative, you create negativity. You be positive, you create positivity. Not to mention that it's backed by scientific research that being outwardly happy and expressing that sort of kindness makes you even happier. But I mean, if people don't want to be happy, I can't exactly force them to smile.

BenJepheneT

You get to spread the joy to other people and, if you really love something, wouldn't you want it to succeed even more by spreading its name and what's so great about it?
Nah, because too many things went under public or mainstream eye and either caught or became complete and utter shit. Fallout, for example. 4 and 76. Then it's DnD, where they're considering removing fucking Orcs and variants of Elves because they don't want "evil races" anymore due to racism (??????)

It's easy to say that I want my favourite thing to be popular and liked by many, but this is real life we're talking about here. Not everyone has the same taste, and just as I could find a guy that likes it as much as I do, I could also find another guy that wants to burn it to the ground and stomp on its charred corpse like it's a pinata from Cinco de Mayo.

So no, I'll keep enjoying my stuff in secret, and probably join the fandom because ironically enough, the echo chamber does more to let me enjoy stuff than sharing it to the world like gospel. When has Jehovah's Witnesses ever convinced you anything anyway?

Not to mention that being positive makes other people feel more positive and basically creates a feedback loop of positivity
@AliceShiki is the most positive person around here, only seconded by @Nahrenne and I still feel like the same shit after being irradiated by their positivity.

Most of the things you say I really can't relate. Maybe it's just me. I don't know.

I personally prefer to see people happy and positive rather than negative and constantly upset at everything.
I find solace with a generally negative guy. It makes the positive moments standout even more and memorable. In a way, the guy doesn't shy away from the fact that the world we live in fucking sucks, which makes all the good stuff he decides to talk about all the more comfy. It's through all the bad stuff that we, or at least I, can find comfort within the sparingly found good shit. I'd rather not live in a world blanketed by sunshine and rainbows, but to live the world as shitty as it is, and enjoy the truly great things that come along once in a while.

Not to mention that it's backed by scientific research that being outwardly happy and expressing that sort of kindness makes you even happier.
Those guys? Who keep on a happy face all the time and wants you to be as happy as them? Fuck off, mate. All I want to do is sock 'em under the chin. If there's any troupe I hate in this world more than self-righteous Christians and social activists, it's positive people who actively pursue mopey looking people like me to be happy with. You're not helping. All you're doing is making the contrast look more apparent.

Like I said, the world is filled with different manners of people. I'm one of those people who are perfectly okay with being generally negative and enjoying good stuff by themselves. That doesn't mean I wish bad upon everyone. If it's the rant posting you take issue with, then you're always welcomed to just ignore me and scroll past.

Ace_Arriande

Those guys? Who keep on a happy face all the time and wants you to be as happy as them? Fuck off, mate. All I want to do is sock 'em under the chin. If there's any troupe I hate in this world more than self-righteous Christians and social activists, it's positive people who actively pursue mopey looking people like me to be happy with. You're not helping. All you're doing is making the contrast look more apparent.

Like I said, the world is filled with different manners of people. I'm one of those people who are perfectly okay with being generally negative and enjoying good stuff by themselves. That doesn't mean I wish bad upon everyone. If it's the rant posting you take issue with, then you're always welcomed to just ignore me and scroll past.
Pfftt, don't worry. I'm not trying to say you should change who you are. I was just giving some reasons for why people would want to be wholesome and positive since you asked. Personally, I can't stand the self-righteous people who make it their selfish purpose in life to feel like they need to make everybody happy, either. I was more just referencing being positive in general builds a positive environment, not purposely going out seeking every person with a frown to annoy them until they smile. Personally, I used to be extremely negative. Then I started faking being positive all the time. Then it worked. Fake it till you make it and all that. Now I'm happier and more content than ever. But like you said, all sorts of different people. I was just giving the potential reasons for being positive over being negative since you asked. And I don't necessarily have an issue with the rant posting either. I just thought it was amusing that I tried suggesting to be at least a little positive and then most replies were negative as if purposely trying to do the opposite of what I suggested = P

BenJepheneT

Personally, I used to be extremely negative. Then I started faking being positive all the time. Then it worked. Fake it till you make it and all that. Now I'm happier and more content than ever. But like you said, all sorts of different people. I was just giving the potential reasons for being positive over being negative since you asked. And I don't necessarily have an issue with the rant posting either. I just thought it was amusing that I tried suggesting to be at least a little positive and then most replies were negative as if purposely tr
Well, I did try that. For 6 straight years of my teenage years until I realized all its doing is making me feel sad and empty. Then I started revealing what I truly felt and all of the sudden, I felt comfortable with the world I inhabit. Not content, mind you. Comfortable. But that's really all I needed.

And if you truly wanted a positive, unpopular opinion from at least one of us, here, have one from me.

I personally think the Call of Duty franchise gets way less credit than the milestone it created during its run in the golden years of the 360. It's reliance of set-piece and excellent pacing in its single player, coupled with engaging map design and player progression in multiplayer truly set a template for linear shooters multiplayer experiences for any game, not just for FPSes. It's a shame whenever COD is mentioned people immediately jump to "oh that's just a shallow sweaty racist gamer dude bro game where everyone says n****r in the voice chat"

Ace_Arriande

I personally think the Call of Duty franchise gets way less credit than the milestone it created during its run in the golden years of the 360. It's reliance of set-piece and excellent pacing in its single player, coupled with engaging map design and player progression in multiplayer truly set a template for linear shooters multiplayer experiences for any game, not just for FPSes. It's a shame whenever COD is mentioned people immediately jump to "oh that's just a shallow sweaty racist gamer dude bro game where everyone says n****r in the voice chat"
It's definitely a franchise that deserves more recognition than what it gets. Only ever played 2, WaW, and MW2, and they were all excellent games that I never had a single issue with, and I liked the stories (even if they all are basically military recruitment propaganda - they're damn entertaining propaganda). Also watched the entire story of Infinite Warfare on YouTube and that story damn made me tear up a few times even without playing it. And I probably wouldn't have the thick skin I've got today for random little shits on the internet if it wasn't for WaW/MW2 and Halo 3 lobbies.

BenJepheneT

It's definitely a franchise that deserves more recognition than what it gets. Only ever played 2, WaW, and MW2, and they were all excellent games that I never had a single issue with, and I liked the stories (even if they all are basically military recruitment propaganda - they're damn entertaining propaganda). Also watched the entire story of Infinite Warfare on YouTube and that story damn made me tear up a few times even without playing it. And I probably wouldn't have the thick skin I've got today for random little shits on the internet if it wasn't for WaW/MW2 and Halo 3 lobbies.
Try Black Ops 2. It's generally regarded as the darkest and best of the CoD storylines, second to only Reznov's part of WaW and it's prequel.

If you're looking to play the single player only without touching on the multiplayer for a very, very low price, hit me up in the DMs. I can send you a link.