people who won't shut up about the people/stuff they hate

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
Recently, I have a reader (if I can even call him that) who kept on posting negative comments on one of the novels that I write. One of the more recent comments that he wrote goes somewhere along the line of "will this be the novel everyone hates? guess we'll find out". I've stopped reading his comments even though he posted some new one just a few minutes ago.

I don't get it. If you dislike my work so much, why are you still here? This isn't Facebook or Twitter. Writing hate comments won't give you more clouts. He's exactly like my father who refuse to shut up about his former boss that he hates a lot. If you hate someone or something, just stop thinking about it. No one cares!

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Recently, I have a reader (if I can even call him that) who kept on posting negative comments on one of the novels that I write. One of the more recent comments that he wrote goes somewhere along the line of "will this be the novel everyone hates? guess we'll find out". I've stopped reading his comments even though he posted some new one just a few minutes ago.

I don't get it. If you dislike my work so much, why are you still here? This isn't Facebook or Twitter. Writing hate comments won't give you more clouts. He's exactly like my father who refuse to shut up about his former boss that he hates a lot. If you hate someone or something, just stop thinking about it. No one cares!
Have you tried to report and block him?

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford

he probably thinks that he is doing you a favour by shitting all over your work . Giving his valuable critism. I recommend telling him to fuck off.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
*Patiently waits for a hate comment on my novel such that I argue for a few time and pretend to lose that I'll drop my novel and forget I'm a writer*

Bernie1117

There are people who:

1). Thinks their opinion matters.
2). Goes out there to spite others.
3). Tries to give criticism but doesn't know how.
4). From other sites and sowing discord for fun. (Or trying to defend the site where they came from)
5). Thinks the world revolves around them, and so everyone should follow their preferences.

In any case, only #3 can be reasoned out with. Best course of action is never to feed wood to the fire. Those people are just man-children. 😁

Razmatazz

Dungeon Cultist
I've found the best way to deal with things like this is to politely, but professionally confront them about their feelings. That's not to say to attack or criticize them, even if you may be justified. Try to understand people's feelings and maybe you can turn the situation around into something productive.

Maybe the reader is just a jerk and that's all there is to it. But maybe they're like a kid on the playground who hits their crush because they don't know how to express themselves in any other fashion. You won't find out though unless you stand there and take the hit to the gut like a champ.

Tl;dr - Read Dale Carnegies 'How to win friends and influence people', good stuff

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

If i wanna bitch about something, i will do so. You have the right to tell me to shut the fuck up. And yes i will admit i sometimes tell other people to shut the fuck up if THEY bitch about something.

Am i a hypocrite? Sure, but i dont say they dont have the RIGHT to bitch the same as me.

Just continue to not read the comments like you are now. I mean what can you even do to stop him? Either tell him to fuck off or do what you have been

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator

You're kinda doing the same thing when you can just block them. Don't let them stay in your head rent free

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
You're kinda doing the same thing when you can just block them. Don't let them stay in your head rent free
man would i love that ability. Just being able to never think of people i don't like

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
I guess you're right. I'll just ignore him

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
man would i love that ability. Just being able to never think of people i don't like
I mean, it's up to you how you'd choose to handle it, but you really can just block them - on this site, at least. Afaik they would be barred from commenting on your story or from harassing you.
I guess you're right. I'll just ignore him
Yeah, I think that's for the best. You only lose when you start paying them attention, and you gain peace by keeping them out of mind.