Pirates or Demon Lords

Which?

• Total voters

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Last edited:

LilRora

Mostly formless
Personally, I think pirate (at least by the regular definition, and Jack Sparrow isn't a pirate by your regular definition of scum looting ships for profit) is a glorified failure, and Demon Lord is so overdone people started accepting it as something way more ordinary than it should really be.

A lot of the cool pirates from stories and movies are something way more, and they are cool not because they're a pirate, but because of the other thing they're doing while being a pirate. Not that there's no proper good cool pirates, but still, there's not all that much of them.

Demon Lord though, this started to feel like FTL, I think. It was such a cool concept when it appeared, but now it's sort of a given, and most stories don't even spare it a thought, instead slapping the hyperdrive or any other generic label and calling it a day. The Demon Lord's similar nowadays. You want an evil guy whose armies are threatening to destroy the world? Bam, Demon Lord. Huge guy, horns, thorny armor. Can't for the life of him win against the hero despite being stronger. What else can it be?

SailusGebel

Personally, I think pirate (at least by the regular definition, and Jack Sparrow isn't a pirate by your regular definition of scum looting ships for profit) is a glorified failure, and Demon Lord is so overdone people started accepting it as something way more ordinary than it should really be.

A lot of the cool pirates from stories and movies are something way more, and they are cool not because they're a pirate, but because of the other thing they're doing while being a pirate. Not that there's no proper good cool pirates, but still, there's not all that much of them.

Demon Lord though, this started to feel like FTL, I think. It was such a cool concept when it appeared, but now it's sort of a given, and most stories don't even spare it a thought, instead slapping the hyperdrive or any other generic label and calling it a day. The Demon Lord's similar nowadays. You want an evil guy whose armies are threatening to destroy the world? Bam, Demon Lord. What else can it be?
Pirates are cool though?

LilRora

Mostly formless
Pirates are cool though?
That's very debatable. To me, they're not.

Also pirates basically have an entire genre of music dedicated to them that everyone loves
Aaargh another one.

The point I'm trying to make is you won't be vibing to a scene of a number of rough smelly men boarding a ship, killing people, cursing a lot, stealing shit, and likely doing a lot of less savory things.

What you're vibing to is the cool part that doesn't involve the bad part of what being a pirate is, and that worse part is the very definition of what a proper lore-accurate pirate is. Does that make sense?

SailusGebel

That's very debatable. To me, they're not.

Aaargh another one.

The point I'm trying to make is you won't be vibing to a scene of a number of rough smelly men boarding a ship, killing people, cursing a lot, stealing shit, and likely doing a lot of less savory things.

What you're vibing to is the cool part that doesn't involve the bad part of what being a pirate is, and that worse part is the very definition of what a proper lore-accurate pirate is. Does that make sense?
If we are doing it, what is a lore accurate demon lord?

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
Aaargh another one.

The culture twisted pirates into something extremely weird.