Possible to turn a harem fic into a VN or dating sim game?

FortySixtyFour

This was just a random thought that popped into my head last year—my guesses were that it'd probably take a ton of time and money and be a big hassle. So, I set aside 40% of my Patreon income last April and decided to give a try, investing $1,000 every month into game development.

For starters, I figured I'd go with Ren'py over VN maker or RPG maker, as it seemed easiest to tinker around with while throwing together a game with low resources. Games like these need a ton of assets, so for starters, I'd need to hire some artists. R/hungryartists was a prime hunting ground last April because the onset of quarantine meant many artists were unable to work their day jobs (but still obviously needed money). I managed to find a guy with a style I like who works for $100 per character sheet (nude base + two outfits & three expressions) and started hiring him. Because I wanted to chase a "late eighties/early nineties cartoon" aesthetic I then needed a background artist who could create painted backdrops for me, which I found after searching Fiverr. From there, I was all set!

Well, not exactly. The harem webfic I wanted to adapt had character descriptions and a handful of cover art I'd hired back in the day, but we still needed to hammer out the exact appearance (body, face, hairstyle, posture, clothing, cosplay) of each character!

Huh, and they all look completely terrible. This was within expectations, though, and after many many late night back-and-forths with the artist we got them to shape up a bit!

These are... well, they're better than they were. These designs were about the hard limit for how many extensive changes and redraws I could ask for what I was paying, since no artist has patience for endless changes in perpetuity. So, naturally since I'm still within my budget, I just recommissioned him to keep working on them until they most closely matched how the characters should look.

Much better! Although it might seem like there's not many differences, each change you see here turned out to be the product of long, in-depth discussion with my patrons, who helped correct and visually define the characters they love as they were meant to be seen. However, in our early Ren'py tests, we realized there was a problem. A BIG problem. All of the characters are facing forward! While that's traditional for many visual novels, in those sort of visual novels the sprites are facing the unseen player. My story being multi-protagonist and featuring many scenes where there's multiple characters interacting, all of the characters in a scene NEEDED to be on screen.

In the above comparison, the forward-facing characters don't look like they're interacting whatsoever, while the bottom comparison they do. Thus, at cost we needed to commission each of the main cast all over again, from side view. It was a setback—but, ultimately worth it in my eyes. The forward-facing sprites are still useable for various situations in game, so now we just had that much more variety to choose from when rigging sprites in Ren'py for scenes.

Like so! Each of the "side-facing" (actually 3/4 view but you get the idea) designs can just be flipped left or right to face another character on screen as necessary. In addition, the contrast between forward and side facing sprites helps set up the dialogue images (bust-up profile of a character to help indicate who in the scene is speaking) better.

Now, the other major assets I need! Background illustrations, because each scene needs set up with an environment to create a context. Just like working with the character artist, not everything will go smoothly here, either. Quite a few scenes seemed fine enough at the time of commissioning them but then didn't work out in the game tests at all. These locations were then adjusted, most of the time expanded upon or had their POV angle corrected or patrons found that the references used were too simple or not to how they imagined the scene.

Also, my story—AnimeCon Harem—is set at a cosplay convention, so in addition to hiring one artist to paint the scenes, I had to hire an another one to populate them with crowds where necessary. The scenes just don't come to life as a big event without the attendees and cosplayers filling a lot of the backgrounds.

Having the backdrops to pair with the characters also helps give you an idea of the "late eighties/early nineties cartoon" aesthetic I was aiming for.

The scene above is one of many "special illustrations" that's currently eating up my budget. While normally the special illustrations would just be sex scenes, I really wanted a lot of the things they do in-story to appear on screen. Rather than describing Emily handing Brian the harem charm in a text box while the character sprites actually just stand across from each other staring like soulless puppets, you see it visually represented on screen. Whenever the poll for a month's illustration goes up I try to balance the options so that they're either all mundane illustrations or all intimate options so as not to skew the results.

To sum up—it's now been exactly one year, and I have 12 character design sheets (multiple outfits, expressions, minor pose variations), 13 illustrations (all either two characters interacting or a two-parter illustration of one character performing an action), six theme music tracks (I don't know how to share these in a SH post just yet, plz help), and 33 backgrounds (many with major day / night lighting variations for maximum utility). I've spent an enormous amount of money and acquired a reasonable number of game assets, but don't have quite enough just yet to put together a game release.

Consider the topic question still being explored, and I'll revisit this thread to update now and then with my experiences.

Nymus

not sure what exactly your question is. but yes i think it´s possible. seeing what you have until now gives the possible a slightly better probably, so to speak.
is it worth to try? it´s one of your dreams, it´s always wort to try.
is it risky? of course it is. nothing is certain in life ... ok, taxes and death are.

Reisinling

ad. crowds- notice that in many dating sims, instead of real people they used fake "people"/"cutouts", which then can be reused through game, or a line art of sudo crowds.

ad backgrounds- i suspect if you want to save money but increase diversity, it might be worth it to just use one of those AI anime filters on places that are only going to be used for a few throwaway scenes

all in all I'm a professional Software engineer with like 6 years of experience now? so if you need some help dm me, it might be amusing xD

EDIT: additional note- man, don't take it wrong, but you can't be too much of a perfectionist, that shit killed most of my projects. At some point, the best solution is to divide resources into tasks, and then just go with- whatever I have when resources run out, is what I get. Nothing more, nothing less- otherwise you will never have enough money

Last edited:

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Dating sims are basically harem fics, aren't they? The idea of making a dating sim is super easy in something like RMMV or RMVX Ace if you know how to go about the system. (Played around in it for years.) But in the end, you can have all the resources and time but keeping yourself motivated is the key to actually completing it.

I don't know if that answers the question but yeah...that's pretty much it.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
I have some experience with VN dev so... Here's my take on it from what I learned in my 2 years in the industry. (I was Proj. Manager / Lead writer for a fan-made game studio that ended up failing)

First things first, focus on modular resources. Have different facial expressions all using the same body (Just as face overlays you can slap whenever needed). Those are much cheaper than having individual drawings and with 5 poses + 5 expressions you end up with 25 final images.
Of course, all must have the character facing forward.
Remember SPRITES ARE NOT THE ART FOR THE VN.
You need simplified sprites for having enough to illustrate the whole novel, but each route should have at least one or two actual full blown scenes. Same goes for clothes, if you already have the poses you need, it's simpler to slap a paste-up clothing then re-drawing the whole art. That's how you keep costs down by not hiring thousands of commissions.

Second. Have reusable backgrounds for all scenes. Rather than drawing the characters onto the scene, just paste the pre-made sprites side by side and make the character that is speaking at that point in time larger than others. Aside from keeping costs down, this makes the scene easier to read for the player and gives a better result in the end.

Third. NEVER have a sprite for the player/mc. Always make it as impersonal and POV as possible, this is what makes a VN immersive. Having an actual character drawn generally backfires one way or another. Or because you need to have a character creation menu, or because the art is rigid, anyhow... It's better to avoid it unless you know what you are doing very well.

Oh, and I forgot. FILTERS! those are your best friends on backgrounds. Always have the same BG as: Night-time dark, Night-time well lit, Day w/ light's off, day full illumination. You will end up needing to use them one way or the other and if the artist does all lighting at once it becomes way cheaper/more consistent.

FortySixtyFour

not sure what exactly your question is. but yes i think it´s possible. seeing what you have until now gives the possible a slightly better probably, so to speak.
is it worth to try? it´s one of your dreams, it´s always wort to try.
is it risky? of course it is. nothing is certain in life ... ok, taxes and death are.
I'm definitely feeling the taxes atm. My 2020 federal tax ran up to $5k and my state was almost $1k. On top of that I now have to pay estimated taxes for 2021, which is $5k and almost $1k all over again. It's pretty oof.

ad. crowds- notice that in many dating sims, instead of real people they used fake "people"/"cutouts", which then can be reused through game, or a line art of sudo crowds.

ad backgrounds- i suspect if you want to save money but increase diversity, it might be worth it to just use one of those AI anime filters on places that are only going to be used for a few throwaway scenes

all in all I'm a professional Software engineer with like 6 years of experience now? so if you need some help dm me, it might be amusing xD

EDIT: additional note- man, don't take it wrong, but you can't be too much of a perfectionist, that shit killed most of my projects. At some point, the best solution is to divide resources into tasks, and then just go with- whatever I have when resources run out, is what I get. Nothing more, nothing less- otherwise you will never have enough money

I was concerned that the game would feel low-budget if I went with fake people / pseudo / shadow crowds, and setting aside $1k for the project every month meant I didn't have to cut those corners. I feel like having painted backdrops and hand-drawn crowds catered to each scene helps give the game a better atmosphere and will make it more competitive when stacked up against other similar games.

Dating sims are basically harem fics, aren't they? The idea of making a dating sim is super easy in something like RMMV or RMVX Ace if you know how to go about the system. (Played around in it for years.) But in the end, you can have all the resources and time but keeping yourself motivated is the key to actually completing it.

I don't know if that answers the question but yeah...that's pretty much it.

The motivation is there! RMMV and RMVX Ace, are those versions of RPG maker?

I have some experience with VN dev so... Here's my take on it from what I learned in my 2 years in the industry. (I was Proj. Manager / Lead writer for a fan-made game studio that ended up failing)

First things first, focus on modular resources. Have different facial expressions all using the same body (Just as face overlays you can slap whenever needed). Those are much cheaper than having individual drawings and with 5 poses + 5 expressions you end up with 25 final images.
Of course, all must have the character facing forward.
Remember SPRITES ARE NOT THE ART FOR THE VN.
You need simplified sprites for having enough to illustrate the whole novel, but each route should have at least one or two actual full blown scenes. Same goes for clothes, if you already have the poses you need, it's simpler to slap a paste-up clothing then re-drawing the whole art. That's how you keep costs down by not hiring thousands of commissions.

Second. Have reusable backgrounds for all scenes. Rather than drawing the characters onto the scene, just paste the pre-made sprites side by side and make the character that is speaking at that point in time larger than others. Aside from keeping costs down, this makes the scene easier to read for the player and gives a better result in the end.

Third. NEVER have a sprite for the player/mc. Always make it as impersonal and POV as possible, this is what makes a VN immersive. Having an actual character drawn generally backfires one way or another. Or because you need to have a character creation menu, or because the art is rigid, anyhow... It's better to avoid it unless you know what you are doing very well.

Oh, and I forgot. FILTERS! those are your best friends on backgrounds. Always have the same BG as: Night-time dark, Night-time well lit, Day w/ light's off, day full illumination. You will end up needing to use them one way or the other and if the artist does all lighting at once it becomes way cheaper/more consistent.
What games did your team produce? Most of your tips can't work for my project, as it's an adaptation of an existing story so it needs to be multiple-POV. There's no way to not have a sprite for a multiple-POV game like this, that'd be almost every single character, lol. I've definitely prioritized art assets that are useable in more than one instance throughout the story, but honestly there isn't much of a need to keep costs down. Often there's months where the character artist can't keep up with the orders I have for him and I wind up with excess budget of the $1k a month, I've just been funneling that excess into hiring a girl who composes custom character motif tracks for us.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
@FortySixtyFour

RMMV is the system you'd want to make your vn in if you go that route. HOWEVER there is a newer version of RPG MAKER that is similar to RMVX ACE and is much more user friendly compared to MV. I suggest you look into that one. The name escapes me but it's the newest rpg maker right now.

Little to no scripting like Reynpa or other programs. Use of pictures is painfully easy too. Once you get the idea down you can make all kinds of VNs in it.

But like I said, it takes time and dedication to finish. My last project in there was a VN that spanned nearly 50k words. Only then I realized how taxing it'll be to make the routes system like in Little Busters and such.

So, if you're going for this project, ask yourself are you truly ready for all the uphill it will be with likely little reward or is it better to just write a story instead?

Feather

As a CS i would say you are overburdening yourself with goals you can't achieve.
If you make a game, don't turn it into an anime.
- game features should be decided beforehand
- art should be static or state-animation based
- you may used bone-rig animation for short "animated" scenes, but don't overuse it, it takes a lot of work to make them

Adapt to a development model for your needs.

Don't overspend alone and always talk to others about your ideas, even if they aren't well-versed at the subject. It helps to discover your mistakes.

FortySixtyFour

@FortySixtyFour

RMMV is the system you'd want to make your vn in if you go that route. HOWEVER there is a newer version of RPG MAKER that is similar to RMVX ACE and is much more user friendly compared to MV. I suggest you look into that one. The name escapes me but it's the newest rpg maker right now.

Little to no scripting like Reynpa or other programs. Use of pictures is painfully easy too. Once you get the idea down you can make all kinds of VNs in it.

But like I said, it takes time and dedication to finish. My last project in there was a VN that spanned nearly 50k words. Only then I realized how taxing it'll be to make the routes system like in Little Busters and such.

So, if you're going for this project, ask yourself are you truly ready for all the uphill it will be with likely little reward or is it better to just write a story instead?
One of the dev teams I keep in touch with uses RPG maker, I'll have to ask them if RMMV is what they've been using. I was aiming to use Ren'py in the first place both for ease of use and also because Ren'py beta can just open in browser. I already have thousands of readers invested in my fic, I figure if when it concludes I can link a demo to play in browser that doesn't need any downloads or unzipping I'll hook a lot more initial interest.

I can comfortably invest $1k like I am now indefinitely without expecting any return (getting a game adaptation is its own return, for me) but from my projections matching up to other similar games, mine should be breaking even in its third year of release at the very worst. Rather than starting from scratch with a playerbase I have a somewhat built-in one I can draw from readers already into the fiction version, so I lean optimistic in how it'll do.

As a CS i would say you are overburdening yourself with goals you can't achieve.
If you make a game, don't turn it into an anime.
- game features should be decided beforehand
- art should be static or state-animation based
- you may used bone-rig animation for short "animated" scenes, but don't overuse it, it takes a lot of work to make them

Adapt to a development model for your needs.

Don't overspend alone and always talk to others about your ideas, even if they aren't well-versed at the subject. It helps to discover your mistakes.
What makes the project seem overburdened? The only real present risk I see is one of my key artists abandoning the project and me having to replace the assets they did, for consistency's sake. I've been pretty mindful to maintain a good relationship with all of them though, and they're all paid up-front, so unless they quit doing commission work completely or retire it's hard to see them disappearing on me.

All the art's definitely going to be static, and initial versions of the game will mostly just follow the webfic's storyline. Later releases will flesh out choices and how they effect the story—it's a three day convention, so there isn't too much of a risk of any of those modules getting too huge. Almost all the sprites and backgrounds for those areas will already be done from previous builds so each one'll get cheaper to complete.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Congratulations on making your dreams work.

Despite that though, Ai-chan would like to give one advice: DO NOT use Visual Novel Maker. Most people who bought it, including Ai-chan, gave up on it. It's buggy, it's unintuitive and the documentation was severely lacking. Sure there are people who managed to release games built on it, but there are also a lot of people who sell games made on Stencil. If you persevere enough, anything can work, but you'd be better of doing something else instead with the time you wasted.

Stuff you know should work, doesn't work. Stuff you think shouldn't work, actually work. But when you finish programming everything and wants to test play it, you realize that everything is going to hell. In the end you go back to Ren'py because at least if Ren'py doesn't work, you know it's your fault for sucking at programming. With Visual Novel Maker, you don't know what's wrong.

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
i am giving you the best advice on this threat. Don't buy anything. Use piratebay and if you like the product after using it for a week then only pay for it.
torrent first if you like the product then buy it
Also why does the protagonist look like clark kent . He doesn't look like he has personality if you just go based on looks. Like make him look more stylish or less like the default side character in a old dating sim.

Zavha0mnic

Cool! I absolutely loved this story but am poor AF so I wish you best of luck!

FortySixtyFour

Congratulations on making your dreams work.

Despite that though, Ai-chan would like to give one advice: DO NOT use Visual Novel Maker. Most people who bought it, including Ai-chan, gave up on it. It's buggy, it's unintuitive and the documentation was severely lacking. Sure there are people who managed to release games built on it, but there are also a lot of people who sell games made on Stencil. If you persevere enough, anything can work, but you'd be better of doing something else instead with the time you wasted.

Stuff you know should work, doesn't work. Stuff you think shouldn't work, actually work. But when you finish programming everything and wants to test play it, you realize that everything is going to hell. In the end you go back to Ren'py because at least if Ren'py doesn't work, you know it's your fault for sucking at programming. With Visual Novel Maker, you don't know what's wrong.
Thanks! It's definitely gonna be Ren'py for our first release, the only thing that was in consideration was Unity.

i am giving you the best advice on this threat. Don't buy anything. Use piratebay and if you like the product after using it for a week then only pay for it.
torrent first if you like the product then buy it
Also why does the protagonist look like clark kent . He doesn't look like he has personality if you just go based on looks. Like make him look more stylish or less like the default side character in a old dating sim.
Ren'py's free to use so no worries about buying anything. The game is multiple protagonist but I'm assuming you mean Brian—that's how he's supposed to look from the webfic, I feel like this rendition's a pretty spot-on representation of him.

Cool! I absolutely loved this story but am poor AF so I wish you best of luck!
Thanks, man! It'll be free to play with public releases (Patrons getting the release way ahead of public) but obviously that's still a ways off since I want to make the best possible first impression on the market and that's gonna mean a lot of special illustrations / route content. We're focusing entirely on the first day of the convention for our first release, so it'll span the first fifteen chapters of the webfic. From the story prologue all the way through the game they play in the hotel room on Friday night.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Thanks! It's definitely gonna be Ren'py for our first release, the only thing that was in consideration was Unity.

Ren'py's free to use so no worries about buying anything. The game is multiple protagonist but I'm assuming you mean Brian—that's how he's supposed to look from the webfic, I feel like this rendition's a pretty spot-on representation of him.

Thanks, man! It'll be free to play with public releases (Patrons getting the release way ahead of public) but obviously that's still a ways off since I want to make the best possible first impression on the market and that's gonna mean a lot of special illustrations / route content. We're focusing entirely on the first day of the convention for our first release, so it'll span the first fifteen chapters of the webfic. From the story prologue all the way through the game they play in the hotel room on Friday night.
Don't use Unity either. Using Unity to make visual novel is like opening a door by ramming it with a car. It's overboard. Unity is a 3D engine, which means it will have high system requirement from the very start, no matter how much you try to optimize it. Your game will be slow, laggy, overheats the GPU of whatever system your players use and will consume more power than necessary, which means mobile devices playing your game will run out of battery and will heat up much faster.

As a visual novel, keep 2GB of RAM as your maximum operation limit. There is absolutely no reason why a 2D visual novel needs more than 2GB of RAM. If you use Unity, it could go as high as 6 or 8GB of RAM, which means you're limiting your customers to only PC players and only PC players who buy computers for playing games. The majority of computer users in the world do not buy gaming rigs because they only use it for working. By using Unity, you limit who can play your games based on what devices they have instead of whether or not they're interested in your game.

There's a reason why Starcraft took over the world decades ago. Anyone could play it. It could run on anything, including Linux, Mac and Windows NT (which couldn't run any other game).