Punctuations.

Scaver

How do i improve on this? Any book recommendations for this or smth? For some reason i feel insecure about this. It has been years since i had read about english punctuation and those were some dumb shit at that.

AiLovesToGrow

I write silly erotica
All editors and major publishers use style guides. For instance, I use the The Chicago Manual of Style because I learned how to write in a journalism atmosphere. Different people use different rules of style, and they are - for the most part - all fine. The important part of style is consistency. Meaning, find a style rulebook and stick with it. Many people use Grammarly but it is not the end all for style and grammar, just one of the cheapest. There are multiple and accessible rule books for a particular type of writing style, and finding what works for you can take some trial and error.

What you are probably wondering is how to improve your writing tone, or how to make your prose move up to the next level. The best way is to read books that are known for their universal appeal in tone and quality. Some authors I typically recommend include Charles Dickens, Mary Shelly, John Steinbeck, Raphael Sabatini and JRR Tolkien. And you don't just read them, you make an effort to understand how each author turns phrases into meaning and WHY each of those lines or paragraphs resonates with readers more than, say, the latest badly translated LN out of China.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Writing's not easy. That's why Grammarly can help. This sentence is grammatically correct, but it's wordy, and hard to read. It undermines the writer's message and the word choice is bland-
Indeed. It should've been something like, "Thou should utilize Grammarly"

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Here's the one I recommend:

Here's a little lesson you might enjoy. Pay special attention to the end, and then watch the video again:

Also, look up Grammar Girl's stuff.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Anything by Milon Nandy is great, easy to understand and not utterly boring.

doravg

106/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
How do i improve on this? Any book recommendations for this or smth? For some reason i feel insecure about this. It has been years since i had read about english punctuation and those were some dumb shit at that.
Well, there is an inexpensive way to sample top quality books. Even though it is touch and go. Anyway, you have good chances to see some good examples if you subscribe to Scribd. They have one million books there. I think, if you go hopping from one bestseller to the next, you might get a good idea about the style. Also, a grammar checker does help. Making the chapter into a MP3 and listening to it while editing helps as well.

Hope that helps.