Question about the "Trap" tag

ArcanePunkster

Anyway I wanted to ask a question about the Trap tag.

What I wanted to know is whether is means by traps as in like dungeon traps and so on or whether it meant as I trap that a male character looks like a female.

I wanted to know because my story will have the latter at some point and I didn't want to falsely tag my story giving readers the wrong idea.

Candy_Man

What I wanted to know is whether is means by traps as in like dungeon traps and so on or whether it meant as I trap that a male character looks like a female.

I wanted to know because my story will have the latter at some point and I didn't want to falsely tag my story giving readers the wrong idea.
Just don't choose it, it's a trap!

Draconite

Exist in the void

Yes

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

just use the tag and put a small note in your synopsis/description on what sort of trap it will be.

Napelynn

I just copy pasted this:

“Trap refers to the presence of one or more character(s) that looks like a girl, whether it be natural or through the act of cross-dressing, the act of dressing up as the opposite gender. Must be a BOY and has to some extent, look like a young girl. A Reverse Trap is the counterpart to a Trap.”

I guess it could be a bit confusing but wouldn’t a tag referring to dungeon traps be ‘traps’ instead of ‘trap’?

D

Deleted member 49654

I just copy pasted this:

“Trap refers to the presence of one or more character(s) that looks like a girl, whether it be natural or through the act of cross-dressing, the act of dressing up as the opposite gender. Must be a BOY and has to some extent, look like a young girl. A Reverse Trap is the counterpart to a Trap.”

I guess it could be a bit confusing but wouldn’t a tag referring to dungeon traps be ‘traps’ instead of ‘trap’?
I think it should include voice as well. For example, if he/she is a singer or radio broadcaster and their voice sounds like the opposite sex.

Napelynn

I think it should include voice as well. For example, if he/she is a singer or radio broadcaster and their voice sounds like the opposite sex.
I just copy and pasted it so I didn’t decide that definition for the tag, but I also don’t agree with you. A boy that looks like a girl is a trap, even if they don’t have a girlish voice. But a boy that looks like a boy, but they have a feminine voice is not a trap. The behavior of the character doesn’t matter either. The appearance is what makes them a trap.

D

Deleted member 49654

I just copy and pasted it so I didn’t decide that definition for the tag, but I also don’t agree with you. A boy that looks like a girl is a trap, even if they don’t have a girlish voice. But a boy that looks like a boy, but they have a feminine voice is not a trap. The behavior of the character doesn’t matter either. The appearance is what makes them a trap.
There are trap singers as well. The main point is that because of a certain characteristic it is easy to make a mistake regarding the person's gender. This is why my example was singer or radio broadcaster; you don't see their looks and make a judgment based only on their voices. Therefore the term should be broader. It is a trap cause it traps/tricks you.

Napelynn

There are trap singers as well. The main point is that because of a certain characteristic it is easy to make a mistake regarding the person's gender. This is why my example was singer or radio broadcaster; you don't see their looks and make a judgment based only on their voices. Therefore the term should be broader. It is a trap cause it traps/tricks you.
The public perception of the character does matter a lot, so I guess you’re right. But it probably won’t be changed because that kind of definition isn’t very common, it won’t apply to many stories, and it isn’t what people think of when they think of traps.

D

Deleted member 49654

The public perception of the character does matter a lot, so I guess you’re right. But it probably won’t be changed because that kind of definition isn’t very common, it won’t apply to many stories, and it isn’t what people think of when they think of traps.
Oh, I wasn't talking about the tag. I really don't think there is much of a difference between a dungeon trap and a snake hidden under a skirt. :blobtaco:

MorgueAnna

It seems rule34 retag “trap” into “ambush” for some unknown reason.
I'm not sure if this is the reasoning behind rule34's alteration, but some people/websites are avoiding using the term "trap" to refer to this kind of character due to issues in reality/meatspace, namely trans panic/gay panic being an acceptable defense in some places for murders/assaults/hate crimes.
I've trued respectfully asking people to not use the term and have been mocked for it. I think it's a small ask personally, but it can be a big point of contention unfortunately.
If you want more information, I think this video does well covering the issue: