Rex's Daily Life Tips & Tricks

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Seriously can't comment on current affairs as I'm not in touch with my relatives's progenies's routines and whatnot. I'm kinda messy and NEET. I don't use and don't get used by facebook.

What I do know, while parents are seriously contemplating their kids's ideal futures, said kids are busy immersing themselves in idle apps even when they're with their peers.

Give Arexio a tip and you have tipped Arexio for a day.
Teach Arexio to tip and Arexio will also give you a tip.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
This is true.

The less supervised ones end up spending their parents' monies on said time-sinking apps as well.

Maybe I should create an app myself...for educational purposes ofc. :blob_popcorn:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
For a second there, I thought we were in a cultivation novel. No? Oh...are you sure? :blob_hmm_two:

I 100% agree with increasing trade and craft education.

Yeah, that's kinda their current state right now. I agree with @--MON-- with how inefficient the system has become.

---

In a nutshell, to become more efficient, I believe education should shift towards the following paradigm for primary/secondary education:

1. General Track (focuses on broad skills that can be universally applied in multiple fields; prepares student for uni)
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Quantitative Reasoning Skills
- Communication Skills (includes writing/reading/speech/etc.)
2. Technical Track (specialized knowledge and fields that require experience and foundational knowledge)
- The Natural Sciences
- Trade Skills
- Languages
- Liberal Arts, History, etc.

For tertiary education:
Programs should be more streamlined (this includes shortening education timeframes) with a focus less on academia and theoretical knowledge and "General Track" skills and more on "Technical Track" skills.

For those seeking post-graduate education (Master's/Ph.D), their tertiary education can focus more on those aspects as 90% of undergraduates would rather have their education shortened (aka trim the fat) to be more job-oriented and practical instead.

That is my long spiel. End. :blob_sleep:
Well, I think Primary and Secondary Education is fine atm tbh~

But uni courses being shortened and more job-focused would certainly be appreciated. We learn so much useless stuff in uni... >.>

Arexio

Coffee Addict
Well, I think Primary and Secondary Education is fine atm tbh~

But uni courses being shortened and more job-focused would certainly be appreciated. We learn so much useless stuff in uni... >.>
Our Primary/Secondary Education definitely needs a rework; it's a hot mess atm.

And yes, the useless stuff is because we're trying to make every undergrad prepare for a Master's/Ph.D program which doesn't make sense to me. Wasteful, inefficient, and pedantic. :blob_dizzy:

AliceShiki

Our Primary/Secondary Education definitely needs a rework; it's a hot mess atm.
*hugs* Ganbatte!
And yes, the useless stuff is because we're trying to make every undergrad prepare for a Master's/Ph.D program which doesn't make sense to me. Wasteful, inefficient, and pedantic. :blob_dizzy:
Sounds about right. It's pretty darn useless, like... Most people don't care about getting a Master's Degree and/or a PhD! >.<

Like, I was in the history course back in uni... I wanted to be a high school teacher, I reaaaaally didn't care for Master+ degrees... Anything I learned that was aiming for that was pretty darn useless.

Pretty sure my stay in uni could have been shortened to 1-2 years if they really wanted to make a course for people that wanted to work as teachers instead of a preparation for becoming a researcher.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
Rex's Daily Tip #369 (Social Psychology): Power-Dependency Theory states that in a given room full of people (i.e. business meeting), those who, on average, speak less hold more POWER*** when they do speak; this means others pay more attention to what they say when they actually speak up. :blob_hmm:

*This means introverts, yes you, should use this to your advantage. Think carefully about what you say before you say it because chances are more people are paying attention than you think. :blobspearpeek:
**Before the haters speak, this theory is only scientifically verified with in-person experiments. :blob_ninja:
***Power is defined as social influence and ability to influence decisions in a social setting. Another key concept that ties to this one is that the more power you use, the less you have left. :blob_no:

Last edited:

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Quakers are a group of people who rarely speak that when they finally do, they quake! Their getup is similar to Amish. You've probably seen it on oatmeal containers.

Social engineering. Recall the I Love You trojan that preyed on people's usual habit of opening e-mail attachments carelessly.

Haters often hate something for the wrong reasons. They have this in common with fans who often love something for the wrong reasons.

Power equals work over time. Smarmy bosses make you work overtime coz they have the power.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
My cousin has to work overtime till the end of the month, and he hates it.

I'm just like: Capitalism, amirite?
KanyeShrug.PNG

AliceShiki

Rex's Daily Tip #369 (Social Psychology): Power-Dependency Theory states that in a given room full of people (i.e. business meeting), those who, on average, speak less hold more POWER*** when they do speak; this means others pay more attention to what they say when they actually speak up. :blob_hmm:

*This means introverts, yes you, should use this to your advantage. Think carefully about what you say before you say it because chances are more people are paying attention than you think. :blobspearpeek:
**Before the haters speak, this theory is only experimentally verified with in-person experiments. :blob_ninja:
***Power is defined as social influence and ability to influence decisions in a social setting. Another key concept that ties to this one is that the more power you use, the less you have left. :blob_no:
This made me remember a whatsapp group I had with my friends and my brother.

My brother was so so sooooo inactive at that group (and we regularly pushed out over 1000 messages each day and stuff back then, so we were used to super high activity) that whenever he started typing, we'd stop our conversation topic and be like... "OMG! [My Brother's Name] is talking! Let's wait and listen to see what will come of it..."

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
AliceShiki's anecdote reminds me of korean gamers with high apm rate.

There was a time when Rai (Noblesse) was invited by one of his classmates to play games in a computer shop. He was befuddled by all those extraneous taps and clicks his classmate kept making.

Why go to America? You don't even know the alphabet!

We will make merry; can gyrate again!

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
What is the source for this one? 👀

"Why would you choose America? You can't even write the alphabet." (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko e4)

Second one is an original, spoofing Trmp.

"I heard he killed a bear during image training!" (Samurai Flamenco)

Arexio

Coffee Addict
Rex's Daily Tip #707 (Economics): The average price of a barrel of oil is a decent proxy for how well the economy is doing. Not the best measure, but it's like looking outside to see if it'll rain or not. :blob_hmm_two:

The reason for this is due to how integrated oil and its byproducts are: gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, propane, plastic, chemicals, fertilizer, asphalt, waxes, detergent, most synthetic products, etc.*

*You may not think it's a lot of items but it's very nearly everywhere in a first-world country. How about thinking of the opposite? What items do you have in your home that hasn't been manufactured, not made out of plastic, or some sort of chemical? :blob_popcorn:
**One of Rex's favorite podcasts,
Planet Money, bought 100 barrels of crude oil with cash out of a briefcase to find out just how integrated it is in our modern economy. It's quite an adventure. 10/10, highly recommended. :blobthumbsup:
***Some country's economies (Europe, China, etc.) are shifting towards more renewable sources of energy such as solar power or electric vehicles; if Rex was in the oil & gas industry, Rex would consider changing fields before he eventually gets laid off. :blob_sir:

--

This has been Rex's Daily Tips. Signing off~ :blobchristmas:

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Rex's Daily Tip #707 (Economics): The average price of a barrel of oil is a decent proxy for how well the economy is doing. Not the best measure, but it's like looking outside to see if it'll rain or not. :blob_hmm_two:

The reason for this is due to how integrated oil and its byproducts are: gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, propane, plastic, chemicals, fertilizer, asphalt, waxes, detergent, most synthetic products, etc.*

*You may not think it's a lot of items but it's very nearly everywhere in a first-world country. How about thinking of the opposite? What items do you have in your home that hasn't been manufactured, not made out of plastic, or some sort of chemical? :blob_popcorn:
**One of Rex's favorite podcasts,
Planet Money, bought 100 barrels of crude oil with cash out of a briefcase to find out just how integrated it is in our modern economy. It's quite an adventure. 10/10, highly recommended. :blobthumbsup:
***Some country's economies (Europe, China, etc.) are shifting towards more renewable sources of energy such as solar power or electric vehicles; if Rex was in the oil & gas industry, Rex would consider changing fields before he eventually gets laid off. :blob_sir:

--

This has been Rex's Daily Tips. Signing off~ :blobchristmas:
This feels more like a funny trivia than an actual tip! XD

Arexio

Coffee Addict
This feels more like a funny trivia than an actual tip! XD
*Rex's Tips are all trivia regarding Rex's life. :blob_popcorn:
**Even the initial tip about coffee. :blob_sir:
***No, Rex does not do refunds. All sales are final. :blobspearpeek:

AliceShiki

*Rex's Tips are all trivia regarding Rex's life. :blob_popcorn:
**Even the initial tip about coffee. :blob_sir:
***No, Rex does not do refunds. All sales are final. :blobspearpeek:
*hugs* They're still fun trivia! \(^^)/

AliceShiki

Speaking of trivia, Rex cannot get enough of this song ("Racing into the Night") that's #1 in JP right now:

:blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt:

There's a YT vid too. Seems like a bittersweet love story. :blob_teary:
Oooooooh, looks really nice! I'll download it! \(^^)/

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Speaking of trivia, Rex cannot get enough of this song ("Racing into the Night") that's #1 in JP right now:

:blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt::blob_melt:

There's a YT vid too. Seems like a bittersweet love story. :blob_teary:

Vocaloids make me think of Miss Monochrome (a strange anime about an android who became an aspiring idol while working as a part-timer in a convenience store).

This music video has a taste of Ghost in the Shell and Serial Experiments Lain. My favorite part is the rap.

Not applicable. Not available. No address.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
Rex's Daily Tip #787 (Writing/Grammar): Use the he/him (she/her, etc.) rule when you don't know whether you should use who or whom.* :blob_sir:

Examples:

• Who (He) made this stupid post?
  • Thank whom (him) again?
P.S. - Please do not use "whom" when you are trying to be more sophisticated than you actually are. You'll just look like a fool instead. :blob_popcorn:

*It is still very confusing for Rex, so he always uses this reference when he is unsure. :blob_dizzy:
**Not to be confused with
who/which clauses, which are a whole different animal. :blob_no:
***Rex hates grammar, but he also hates it when he spots the mistakes; his editing bone itches when that happens. It's a love-hate relationship that he mostly just hates. :blob_unsure: