Salty comments on stories

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Grammar, as a non-native English, they always shoot me in that aspect. Like come on, I know that already. I don't post in RR anymore, I'm not even sure if people read my stories there, and I'm glad that stopped posting there.

Heartmint

I came here and read two story so far, a fanfic. One of the two honestly is very bad, i would give it 2 stars if im feeling generous, 3 stars at most, and i already dumbing down my standard. But to my surprise, the story is ranked number 1 in several categories and i don't find any bad review whatsoever. I've read a better fanfic with an abysmal review on RR.

Just from this experience i would say that the standard on RR is simply higher. I may be wrong, as i've been only in this website for a week.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
All of the salty comments I got were on RR which I removed my stories from. Most of them weren't that bad but some really annoyed me because they would assume something and base their assessment on what they assumed rather than reading further to the point where everything is explained. This was rare though so I only saw it twice.

lol same happened to me
one review, 10 chapters in, said I don't know how to write a story because I switched perspective to other characters after 3 or 4 chapters

he thought I got sidetracked or something

Daitengu

I think I only leave salty comments on a few things. Grammar, whole arcs of filler, and consistently saying they'll release x chapters in y days but only do it for a few chapters.

Grandloaf

I've seen people on RR shit on stories just because the story was a genre or had themes they didn't like.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I posted this, went to sleep, then came back my notifications having a seizure over night.
Four or five stars here on Scribble Hub means your story is average or above average, and (normal) people don't flip their shit about an internet story.

If you want some intense criticism here you go:

Your story has decent prose and grammar and the characters are okay.

For an author that had his books sold well the main character is remarkably impoverished, and he doesn't even take the time to run a background check on Harmony, second, given how Harmony just showed up at his doorstep leads me to believe he posted his address on a public ad under his real name. For a well-selling author that sounds like nothing but bad discissions.

Also doesn't make sense how Ty carries on like everything is normal after a certain 'incident' with Melody, Ty, in general, isn't very relatable. Also, Melody as a character isn't very likable or relatable she is either always snarky or horny.

The setting is fairly average, nothing bad and nothing great.

The plot is really slow and doesn't seem to have any story of direction.

Your story overall is decent enough, but it is no masterpiece, but it will probably pull decent numbers with its release rate and tag combination.
Thanks for the feedback. I will say though that the stuff you pointed out about Ty is great because that tells me that people are picking up on his main character flaw. I wish I could say more, but if I do I might accidentally spoil some of what happens later.
Are you a masochist?

I've seen people on RR shit on stories just because the story was a genre or had themes they didn't like.
From my limited time on RR, if your story isn't a litRPG or is posting 5 times a day(I've seen shit like that on there and the story quality is mostly horrendous) then you'll never get any decent following. I began to write not just for fun but to see my numbers grow higher which really killed my buzz. Now I'm writing for fun again and my story quality over the latest few chapters have been improving tremendously.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
There's really a lot of this in RR. I think it's just a bad habit formed from how webnovels are usually written with infodumps up front. I've had a few comments that they can't understand the plot, ranging from polite to being an asshole. The funny thing is those comments are usually in like the first 10 chapters, and my story is already 150+ chapters.
Yeah, I understand.
lol same happened to me
one review, 10 chapters in, said I don't know how to write a story because I switched perspective to other characters after 3 or 4 chapters

he thought I got sidetracked or something
Yeah, I do the same thing but it's not bad writing. Some people just have really low attention spans.

Last edited:

LABmaiL

Friend of All Hats :)
If I don't like a story, I'll just quietly drop it. If I like a story, I'll add it to one of my reading lists and give it a five or four star rating. I'm pretty sure that's what most of the readers here do. Royal road's people are a bit more harsh when they aren't fans of something. If you want some criticism on your story, I suggest asking for it in the authors note or even having a little announcement chapter that's just asking for criticism.

Mephi

If I don't like a story because it's not my thing, I just drop. If it's got specific issues, like a passive main character or nonsensical villain with no brain cells, I'll comment about those.

Linko

I've felt something like that too (though I haven't started to post here yet). People in this site seem to be a lot more forgiving of mistakes, or something like that.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
I'd be meaner and give novels here a 1 star if it wasn't for the fact that I need to put your novel in my reading list. Most of the novels I dislike don't even deserve that right. If not gor that fact I'd be spamming 1 stars purely by feeling your shit writing from pure instinct.
If your novels had SOUL however I'd forgive it and give it a 4 star if I enjoyed it despite the bad writing. Royal Road has a lot of well written novels but a lot of them aren't enjoyable.
It's also more chill here and I have more tolerance for amateur writing because most of the readers are from novelupdates. Amateur stories made for fun are honestly more enjoyable to read than a lot of the novels I read at royalroad.
We got an update a while back where we can make separate lists for this. I only have one story I dropped in it and it deserves to be in there.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Ai-chan welcomes comments. There were salty comments on RRL yes, but Ai-chan can handle just that. Ai-chan just ignored them if they have nothing to contribute. The only comments Ai-chan couldn't handle are fanboys of other authors who came in, said Ai-chan sucked and told other readers to read their favourite authors instead.