Salty comments on stories

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Just recently, there's this dude that read my story up to the latest chapter, and he says that he really enjoyed my story. That got my pride up a bit, but I still have yet to get any comments telling me how awful I am. I sure as hell got that immediately on RR with my story getting a 2-star rating 2 chapters in. I want to feel that salt again, so are there any comments on your or other's stories of people being incredibly salty for no specific reason. Like they go on and on about something completely asinine that makes you wonder if they even read your story. Or if they even know how to read at all. My favorites have to be salty reviews, but I've yet to see a genuine salty review on this site despite me looking forever for one.

TremendousHuman

Deleteriously devilish, deliciously dumbfounding
RR is hard mode
In my experience, people are nicer there, if only by a bit
sebby.jpeg

finalrealms

I've got more responses in SH rather than RR. But salty comment? I categorize it as an honest comment/ review since they express their true feelings about your works. I don't know bout RR since most people's thoughts stated that RR was a hardcore channel. But I'm getting a cold treatment in RR, so I have to reevaluate my opinion on these.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
All of the salty comments I got were on RR which I removed my stories from. Most of them weren't that bad but some really annoyed me because they would assume something and base their assessment on what they assumed rather than reading further to the point where everything is explained. This was rare though so I only saw it twice.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
People forget that this is primarily free content. If you don't like a story, please leave and let others enjoy it. Constructive crits are nice but saying things are awful just to be awful is... kind of immature.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Just recently, there's this dude that read my story up to the latest chapter, and he says that he really enjoyed my story. That got my pride up a bit, but I still have yet to get any comments telling me how awful I am. I sure as hell got that immediately on RR with my story getting a 2-star rating 2 chapters in. I want to feel that salt again, so are there any comments on your or other's stories of people being incredibly salty for no specific reason. Like they go on and on about something completely asinine that makes you wonder if they even read your story. Or if they even know how to read at all. My favorites have to be salty reviews, but I've yet to see a genuine salty review on this site despite me looking forever for one.
Four or five stars here on Scribble Hub means your story is average or above average, and (normal) people don't flip their shit about an internet story.

If you want some intense criticism here you go:

Your story has decent prose and grammar and the characters are okay.

For an author that had his books sold well the main character is remarkably impoverished, and he doesn't even take the time to run a background check on Harmony, second, given how Harmony just showed up at his doorstep leads me to believe he posted his address on a public ad under his real name. For a well-selling author that sounds like nothing but bad discissions.

Also doesn't make sense how Ty carries on like everything is normal after a certain 'incident' with Melody, Ty, in general, isn't very relatable. Also, Melody as a character isn't very likable or relatable she is either always snarky or horny.

The setting is fairly average, nothing bad and nothing great.

The plot is really slow and doesn't seem to have any story of direction.

Your story overall is decent enough, but it is no masterpiece, but it will probably pull decent numbers with its release rate and tag combination.

Last edited:

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I-i don't want to talk about salty comments.

The last review I had, summoned Zeus to my door and cut off my internet and powerline for 2 days straight.

I don't know why and I just like to write but I don't feel too confident in writing since maybe the eldrich gods might want to take a swing of me.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
People here are really nice, I like that. I've been in RR for a while now but never received any salty comments, just the "nice chapter" kind that also doesn't help, but my story isn't really popular anyway.

I received criticism here, some constructive, some very harsh, which helped me to improve my story quite a lot. But the harsh criticism was through DM so it didn't damage my rating. There was one dude who dropped my story, complaining, although very nicely, about my MC being indecisive, even though I used the tag "Indecisive Protagonist" and went the extra mile to portray my MC in a realistic way.

longer

Balls
People here are really nice, I like that. I've been in RR for a while now but never received any salty comments, just the "nice chapter" kind that also doesn't help, but my story isn't really popular anyway.

I received criticism here, some constructive, some very harsh, which helped me to improve my story quite a lot. But the harsh criticism was through DM so it didn't damage my rating. There was one dude who dropped my story, complaining, although very nicely, about my MC being indecisive, even though I used the tag "Indecisive Protagonist" and went the extra mile to portray my MC in a realistic way.
Readers on their way to do anything but actually read.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
well because RRL is full of salty little twats.

I actually wanna see how badly i'd get reviewed there tbh for shits and giggles, but my most chaotic and fucked up story is already at Google and is at over 100 chapters and i am NOT gonna copy-paste them all. Unless they added an upload manuscript function since i've last been there.

EDIT: seriously, why is that not a function in more places? Inkitt has it and barely anyone knows what Inkitt even is.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
well because RRL is full of salty little twats.

I actually wanna see how badly i'd get reviewed there tbh for shits and giggles, but my most chaotic and fucked up story is already at Google and is at over 100 chapters and i am NOT gonna copy-paste them all. Unless they added an upload manuscript function since i've last been there.

EDIT: seriously, why is that not a function in more places? Inkitt has it and barely anyone knows what Inkitt even is.
Indeed, that would be super useful! I'm on Inkitt too but there aren't many people there, my story barely got 200 views.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

A lot of people here come from Novelupdates and we never really tolerated toxic assholes there so yeah. Its not a huge thing here either but we do get some from time to time.
Im a toxic asshole myself, so i should know.
Readers on their way to do anything but actually read.
people wanna bitch about certain things when I clearly put "Drug Addict Protag" or "Playboy MC" in the story smh. I warned you. Pfft. Thought I was playin...

Had to change an entire ending to a volume cuz of shit like that once. I mean, i liked the second version better in the end but i also liked the MC getting fucked over from his manwhore ways so im salty about it.

Its not out fault they ignore the tags but its just sad we cant comment on reviews to tell them that they're the reason teachers used to tell the class, "read the question VERY carefully." like IM the blind one
Indeed, that would be super useful! I'm on Inkitt too but there aren't many people there, my story barely got 200 views.
yeah Inkitt is like that. Like wattpad its more for erotica and that's a bit niche compared to fantasy. I dont even remember the views i got there but i only found that place cuz the cover for the incest erotica story i was writing wasnt accepted here. The story was published but the cover wasnt allowed, so i guess only anime tits are allowed here. Still mad over that.

Anyway, i liked it, Inkitt, for that exact reason. Just allowed me to upload the whole file. Lol its funny cuz they thought i was a woman. Still do, i think, even though i corrected them a few times. Accidentally uploaded a chapter there a couple days back. "OMG girl glad you're back."

I dunno why but i think people just usually think women write erotica. Which, i havent seen many softcover erotica from men so maybe there's a reason for their thinking.

Last edited:

BigBadBoi

I'd be meaner and give novels here a 1 star if it wasn't for the fact that I need to put your novel in my reading list. Most of the novels I dislike don't even deserve that right. If not gor that fact I'd be spamming 1 stars purely by feeling your shit writing from pure instinct.
If your novels had SOUL however I'd forgive it and give it a 4 star if I enjoyed it despite the bad writing. Royal Road has a lot of well written novels but a lot of them aren't enjoyable.
It's also more chill here and I have more tolerance for amateur writing because most of the readers are from novelupdates. Amateur stories made for fun are honestly more enjoyable to read than a lot of the novels I read at royalroad.

Last edited:

Temple

Most of them weren't that bad but some really annoyed me because they would assume something and base their assessment on what they assumed rather than reading further to the point where everything is explained
There's really a lot of this in RR. I think it's just a bad habit formed from how webnovels are usually written with infodumps up front. I've had a few comments that they can't understand the plot, ranging from polite to being an asshole. The funny thing is those comments are usually in like the first 10 chapters, and my story is already 150+ chapters.