Schizophrenic Writing. You Too?

LMStephens

One Complexed and Unusual Being
So, I've been writing since I was in the fifth grade. About 11 years ago, I was diagnosed as schizoaffective which is schizophrenia with other stuff going on.

Anyway, I've been told that my writing doesn't have any emotion in it. I asked my sister about it and she agreed. She said my writing doesn't have the same level of emotions as it used to when I was younger and she felt it was because I'm sick.

Does anybody else have this issue where a disability or something medical affects your writing? How do you combat it?

D

Deleted member 54065

So, I've been writing since I was in the fifth grade. About 11 years ago, I was diagnosed as schizoaffective which is schizophrenia with other stuff going on.

Anyway, I've been told that my writing doesn't have any emotion in it. I asked my sister about it and she agreed. She said my writing doesn't have the same level of emotions as it used to when I was younger and she felt it was because I'm sick.

Does anybody else have this issue where a disability or something medical affects your writing? How do you combat it?
I got bipolar condition, and the way it affects me is that, I could easily write an entire volume (60k words minimum) within a week if I'm in my Mania while it'd take almost a month for me to complete a single chapter once my mood shifts into Depression.

I take meds from time to time, but only when I'm thinking of killing myself. As long as I'm not thinking of harming myself, I just vent out my emotions on my work.

LMStephens

I got bipolar condition, and the way it affects me is that, I could easily write an entire volume (60k words minimum) within a week if I'm in my Mania while it'd take almost a month for me to complete a single chapter once my mood shifts into Depression.

I take meds from time to time, but only when I'm thinking of killing myself. As long as I'm not thinking of harming myself, I just vent out my emotions on my work.

I have heard of this. Some people are very artistic in their mania stage and when they are medicated they can't create. I am the total opposite. I do more creating when I'm medicated. When I look back, I can see signs when my schizophrenia was manifesting. I lost interest in writing and some instances, I couldn't write. It was rough. I thought I had ADD.

I'm sorry about your struggles and I hope something will work out for you. Stay strong.
Dyslexia. Makes me completely unable to edit on my own.

That's got to be rough. Hope you have a great beta or alpha to help you.

D

Deleted member 54065

I have heard of this. Some people are very artistic in their mania stage and when they are medicated they can't create. I am the total opposite. I do more creating when I'm medicated. When I look back, I can see signs when my schizophrenia was manifesting. I lost interest in writing and some instances, I couldn't write. It was rough. I thought I had ADD.

I'm sorry about your struggles and I hope something will work out for you. Stay strong.
Ah I'm fine. My only weakness in this condition (aside from depression), is that I can't stay doing something repeatedly for a long duration. I had to take a break from time to time, hence, I do drawings, play games, go on a slow drive, debate with my students (friendly), paint or play in a band.

I'd say, bipolar, while it can be paralyzing, can also be your ally whenever you try on doing something.

As for your condition, I'd also wish the same for you. You'll get better, just don't quit especially when you think everything is lost. 😁😊

LMStephens

Ah I'm fine. My only weakness in this condition (aside from depression), is that I can't stay doing something repeatedly for a long duration. I had to take a break from time to time, hence, I do drawings, play games, go on a slow drive, debate with my students (friendly), paint or play in a band.

I'd say, bipolar, while it can be paralyzing, can also be your ally whenever you try on doing something.

As for your condition, I'd also wish the same for you. You'll get better, just don't quit especially when you think everything is lost. 😁😊

I'm doing very great with my disability. My doctor is very pleased with my progress. I have a good supportive family. Thank you for your good wishes.

Topgun1908

I can't confirm if I actually have a mental disability but I've never really been able to feel emotions. I also have an extreme disinterest in people. So I have trouble writing friends talking to each other because I've never cared to talk to anyone like that. I also have trouble writing about how a character should feel when met with a certain situation so I end up just having all of my main characters be mostly emotionless like me.

LMStephens

I can't confirm if I actually have a mental disability but I've never really been able to feel emotions. I also have an extreme disinterest in people. So I have trouble writing friends talking to each other because I've never cared to talk to anyone like that. I also have trouble writing about how a character should feel when met with a certain situation so I end up just having all of my main characters be mostly emotionless like me.
There are several mental health issues that can cause what you experience. I would suggest you get an evaluation. You don't want to experience a sudden manic attack out of nowhere. It is the most frightening and stressful situation I have ever been in. I've had a total of three breakdowns in my lifetime.

Agentt

Thighs
There there,
*pats*
Schizophrenia indeed makes you blunt to emotions, sometimes you just feel empty, not happy, not sad, just void.

But I won't say this is the sole reason.

As you grow older, your tastes simply mature, and standards increase.
I won't say you got worse, just that your judgement got better.

Plus, we all are fictional writers.
It's our bread and butter to imagine things.

Do you think doing sex would make you a good smut author?
No!
That's because during real sex, your mind is just blank, and your face is ⊙v⊙.
But still, smut authors have to describe every details, compare her lips to melting chocolate and brown hair to ever changing sand dunes,

Or romance authors,
Romance in books is no way near real romance,
Why?
Because real romance is boring!
So we have to write stuff like kissing on first date, pounding hearts, giddy feelings, jelly legs.

Or horror authors, how would they be successful if everything is just scary.

Anyhow, point being, don't mind it much.

Does it actually affect you?
Maybe, who knows?
Till the time we don't do a scientific experiment with an alternate you without any disability, we will never know.

So, good luck,

WELCOME TO SCRIBBLEHUB!
AND WE HOPE YOU HAVE A GRAND TIME HERE

LMStephens

There there,
*pats*
Schizophrenia indeed makes you blunt to emotions, sometimes you just feel empty, not happy, not sad, just void.

But I won't say this is the sole reason.

As you grow older, your tastes simply mature, and standards increase.
I won't say you got worse, just that your judgement got better.

Plus, we all are fictional writers.
It's our bread and butter to imagine things.

Do you think doing sex would make you a good smut author?
No!
That's because during real sex, your mind is just blank, and your face is ⊙v⊙.
But still, smut authors have to describe every details, compare her lips to melting chocolate and brown hair to ever changing sand dunes,

Or romance authors,
Romance in books is no way near real romance,
Why?
Because real romance is boring!
So we have to write stuff like kissing on first date, pounding hearts, giddy feelings, jelly legs.

Or horror authors, how would they be successful if everything is just scary.

Anyhow, point being, don't mind it much.

Does it actually affect you?
Maybe, who knows?
Till the time we don't do a scientific experiment with an alternate you without any disability, we will never know.

So, good luck,

WELCOME TO SCRIBBLEHUB!
AND WE HOPE YOU HAVE A GRAND TIME HERE

Haha. Thank you.

Since it was me who said that to you, well one of the people, I feel like I should at least try and offer some advice... I didn't realize you were dealing with that when I said it, so sorry about that.

Try and find something you have a passion for. When you talk about that to someone, what words do you use? how do you describe it?

Think of something you absolutely hate. If someone gets you going on that topic, what words do you use in your rant? How do you gesture, if you do at all?

Watch dopey couples, how do they talk to each other? What's their body language like? How could you describe the motions of their eyes? Is she bashful? Does he blush?

I'm lucky enough to not suffer from any mental illness myself, but this is some advice I've seen in other places when people who struggle with writing emotion asked for help. I'm just regurgitating it here, but hopefully, it helps.

Again, sorry!

watch movies or videos and look out for mannerisms, body language, dialogue, specific vocabulary etc.. try to narrate from a character's viewpoint not your own while emulating what you saw. also try writing in first person - it requires and allows more emotional depth.
not sure how useful this would be with your condition though

LMStephens

Since it was me who said that to you, well one of the people, I feel like I should at least try and offer some advice... I didn't realize you were dealing with that when I said it, so sorry about that.

Try and find something you have a passion for. When you talk about that to someone, what words do you use? how do you describe it?

Think of something you absolutely hate. If someone gets you going on that topic, what words do you use in your rant? How do you gesture, if you do at all?

Watch dopey couples, how do they talk to each other? What's their body language like? How could you describe the motions of their eyes? Is she bashful? Does he blush?

I'm lucky enough to not suffer from any mental illness myself, but this is some advice I've seen in other places when people who struggle with writing emotion asked for help. I'm just regurgitating it here, but hopefully, it helps.

Again, sorry!

But that's the thing. I do all that and people still say it lacks emotion. Also, in the other chapters of The Eye of Demun, I wrote more detail about the characters and emotions. I used to people watch all the time before I was placed on disability.

Also, no need to apologize. It's alright and your criticism is helping me.