Security Features?

naosu

I would like to have them add a feature where the author can ban bad actors from the author's own story area.

Are they working on this, or is there a feature in the work around for this?

Agentt

Thighs
I believe bad actors in this example refers to people who are there just to trash and tarnish your story. They are wondering if there's a way to kick people who bad mouth a writers work purely for a response.
Oh, I see. There is always the option to report the comments. And for reviews, I believe there is a feature to stop people from giving 1 star continuously. All reviews are first gone through the mods to see if they are legit or not

nosinkarma

I would like to have them add a feature where the author can ban bad actors from the author's own story area.

I believe bad actors in this example refers to people who are there just to trash and tarnish your story. They are wondering if there's a way to kick people who bad mouth a writers work purely for a response.
That is a good idea if implemented well.
But it's equally bad idea, see webnovel for example, there authors are infamous for deleting bad(critical) reviews and comments, just so they can have that spotless rating and favourable reviews.
Honestly better way is that, if any guy really trash talks or just trolling, it should be reported. Let the moderators decide. Authors can give evidences and their arguments.
People with such repeated offences should have a history log against them to ensure tighter actions against them with reasons.

Tony

Staff member

That's already possible. If you block users, they won't be able to comment/review on any existing and future stories. You two will be invisible to each other. It doesn't delete existing comments/reviews though.

You can block users by going into their profile and click on the 'block' link which is located at the top right corner. You can also block them from https://www.scribblehub.com/account/ -> "Users Blocked"

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
See, I don't really agree with this simply because this creates "curated" review section and it puts off genuine complaints from readers. A published author doesn't have this option - once a book is out, it is out. People can trash it however they like. That is one of the pitfalls of being in the arts - it is essentially a public thing.

Sure, you can block people - but is it really worth it? It is just part of the experience. Of course, if somebody is going out of their way to launch personal attacks on you, I can understand.

LostLibrarian

simply because this creates "curated" review section
I doubt all authors will block all new readers directly so there won't be that big of an impact.

Ratings and reviews can't be deleted by the author, while it was always possible to delete comments one by one. So the only thing that changes is the need to delete them one by one...

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
If my novel is bad, then I can just ignore it since I don't really care if they trashtalk it. I only write because its just fun expressing my mind through words and I don't really plan on investing my skills unless I'm interested in it. Plus, knowing that I don't get really paid for my writing shows how little I put effort into what I wrote as it is only a hobby at most.

For the bad reviews with nonsense, while it does sounds a bit stupid but I don't really think that we should be given power to dictate them and only report them. It only separates the readers from the writers and alienates most readers who actually give proper review than those who aren't. Sure, those guys are annoying but I don't really want to have that ability to block my readers just because I can't talk-no-jutsu those guys. At most, I just settle it in with logic and if they continue to badmouth it, meh, i'm fine with it. Not really gonna get badmouth or continue arguing with them and instead work more on my novel.

naosu

That's already possible. If you block users, they won't be able to comment/review on any existing and future stories. You two will be invisible to each other. It doesn't delete existing comments/reviews though.

You can block users by going into their profile and click on the 'block' link which is located at the top right corner. You can also block them from https://www.scribblehub.com/account/ -> "Users Blocked"
And stories written would also be blocked? Would they be able to see my stories?

I've got a couple readers that won't stop harassing me and are waging war against me, going out of his way to every chapter cause mayhem. Its beyond just a review.
See, I don't really agree with this simply because this creates "curated" review section and it puts off genuine complaints from readers. A published author doesn't have this option - once a book is out, it is out. People can trash it however they like. That is one of the pitfalls of being in the arts - it is essentially a public thing.

Sure, you can block people - but is it really worth it? It is just part of the experience. Of course, if somebody is going out of their way to launch personal attacks on you, I can understand.

Well you are assuming this is a bad review problem. its more than that. Its constant harassment and slander, trying to drive away readers every chapter.

At some point there has to be a line. I'd like this kind of behavior kicked off the site. I wouldn't care if it was only getting a bad review and then leaving me alone. Then I could leave them alone.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
My, my, it's an everyday headache from our everyday internet writers. Hope you have a cure for your insecurities - and say, constant harassment and slander - don't everyone have better things to do than to act like a 12-year-old? Or assuming, we have kids trying to be an adult bitchin' the heavens again.

Well you are assuming this is a bad review problem. its more than that. Its constant harassment and slander, trying to drive away readers every chapter.

At some point there has to be a line. I'd like this kind of behavior kicked off the site. I wouldn't care if it was only getting a bad review and then leaving me alone. Then I could leave them alone.

Same thing, fella, same thing. If your novel has bad reviews, no one has shits to look at it - that'd probably be a high-susceptible reason for people to be messin' with you. And also, kicking some behaviors most people do experience with, do nothin' anymore. It is the internet, people are free to judge you for what you've shown and given to them. Or are you tellin' me you're getting hurt by internet kids when you're using a different name - an account that serves the purpose to hide yourself?

It'd be better if you could learn how to control yourself and tap that report button two times or suggest Tony make him delete the comments in your own novel's comment section. Might just alleviate, but it's not a bad option.

Arkus86

If you block them, they can't leave a review and they can't comment on your chapters. I really don't see why go the extra mile to make your stories invisible, as it would not help either if they're dedicated to harrasing you. And if you think someone is targeting you, report it.

And honestly, going through the comments and reviews on your story, I see neither slander nor harassment. Some ranting, some criticism, but certainly no user going out of their way to try and "drive away readers every chapter."

D

Deleted member 45782

I don't think this is what a security feature is. Sorry i guess my way of thinking security is kinda narrow, I thought when you meant security it was cybersecurity.

This is more like author controlling what comments go on in their story. I think there's a report feature from what others said and you can delete comments in story if its inappropriate. You can also ban person so you don't have to see them comment again or something.

While it sucks an author may get someone giving bad comments (which you can report them if they are harassing you and doing it everywhere), it may also prevent authors from controlling too much on the comments that are only good comments are allowed and anything slightly not praising get taken down, even if its meaningful.

Then again, idk much.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
And stories written would also be blocked? Would they be able to see my stories?

I've got a couple readers that won't stop harassing me and are waging war against me, going out of his way to every chapter cause mayhem. Its beyond just a review.

If you think they are harassing you, just report all their harassing comments. Scribblehub has a 'no harassment policy'. If they're still there a week after you've reported it, then contact one of the moderators. @Tony always responds to Ai-chan's questions. State your case and if the mods disagree with your point of view, that just means it's probably in your head. In this case, feel free to block the harassers.

Ai-chan doesn't know about scribblehub, but Tony has permabanned people doing harassments on novelupdates before. Ai-chan remembers 2 people. One of them harassed Ai-chan as well.