Sex, and Smut in Stories

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

Last time, I received a review like this in RoyalRoad.
120072219_2413465555625451_1163416435340143832_o.jpg

Well, I'm just laughing and ignoring such reviews. But then, I noticed that lately, my stats in that site eventually dropped to nothing. Well, I kind of expected such development, since I've received that kind of treatment in that site before. The only difference this time is that I'm determined to stay.

Now, I'm aware of the saying 'sex sells' and how effective it is in luring readers to your work. However, aside from my goal to create a purely adventure work (I'm inspired by Tolkien, among others), I'm the kind of author that doesn't throw sex around freely. I mean, I'm not against smut in stories, but I prefer smut (should I decide to include it) to be meaningful to the story.

My only question is, am I--and similar authors out there--still have a place in online publishing nowadays?

Take note: I'm just asking a legit question, not fishing for sympathy. I'm planning to tell the feedback to my co-authors and students.

MasterHiatus

I am back
Well, there are some authors that want to write some meaningful to the plot smut and I don't think that those authors are pussies. I even praise them for not just using the smut to just attract people into reading their novels.

I am sure those kinds of authors have more than 2-3 spaces when it comes to the literary world. Online or offline

Aleth08

I used smut as a plot device in the beginning of my story. As many of my reviewers said, it was connected with the plot. But I've since stopped adding it in. Because at that time, I wasnt taking writing seriously. Now I am. And my parents know it and support me. But with that comes the baggage of them wanting to read it.......and the least to say, it would be super awkward.

MasterHiatus

I am back
I used smut as a plot device in the beginning of my story. As many of my reviewers said, it was connected with the plot. But I've since stopped adding it in. Because at that time, I wasnt taking writing seriously. Now I am. And my parents know it and support me. But with that comes the baggage of them wanting to read it.......and the least to say, it would be super awkward.
Ur parents support you?! Mine said that writing will pay me nothing!!!!

AkalE

Last time, I received a review like this in RoyalRoad.
View attachment 4086

Well, I'm just laughing and ignoring such reviews. But then, I noticed that lately, my stats in that site eventually dropped to nothing. Well, I kind of expected such development, since I've received that kind of treatment in that site before. The only difference this time is that I'm determined to stay.

Now, I'm aware of the saying 'sex sells' and how effective it is in luring readers to your work. However, aside from my goal to create a purely adventure work (I'm inspired by Tolkien, among others), I'm the kind of author that doesn't throw sex around freely. I mean, I'm not against smut in stories, but I prefer smut (should I decide to include it) to be meaningful to the story.

My only question is, am I--and similar authors out there--still have a place in online publishing nowadays?

Take note: I'm just asking a legit question, not fishing for sympathy. I'm planning to tell the feedback to my co-authors and students.
Just gotta ask, what is the font you use on your phone!! :blob_hmm_two: I thought I was reading kanji XD

D

Deleted member 29316

Ur parents support you?! Mine said that writing will pay me nothing!!!!
Well writing can be a lucrative opportunity, or a depressing hobby. But definitely, your skills in writing can be used in something else, like for me, I managed to pass the bar exams due to my writing, aside from many other things. I didn't know that skills in writing would be needed as a lawyer, but here am I.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

I always said so, smut might make you popular, but as a price, you will never be taken seriously as an author. :blob_evil_two:

KyoruS

From what I've heard RR readers don't like Japanese beta cuck MC, so I would say that your reviews/ratings would likely be more about that instead of simply the lackluster sex scenes.

Oh yeah, and also my parents also knew that I'm writing a story. They desperately want to read it, but I refused to tell them anything about my story, other than my cover and the stats.

D

Deleted member 29316

I always said so, smut might make you popular, but as a price, you will never be taken seriously as an author. :blob_evil_two:
Oh, interesting view.
From what I've heard RR readers don't like Japanese beta cuck MC, so I would say that your reviews/ratings that would likely to be more about that instead of simply the lackluster sex scenes.
Well, they label everyone that isn't an asshole as a 'beta', 'cuck' MC. Like, just what a commenter told me in that site, 'he has no patience for that certain kind MC that prefers a diplomatic solution over violent means'.

It's like they don't want any character growth.

And yeah, I got no sex scenes there.

AkalE

Aah. Okay....
And secondly, haters gonna hate. If you are enjoying writing and improving at it ignore these reviewers

D

Deleted member 29316

Aah. Okay....
And secondly, haters gonna hate. If you are enjoying writing and improving at it ignore these reviewers
Well, I'm ignoring them. Just that, I'm asking if we still have place in online publishing, since I got a lot of students who thinks smut should only be put in a story in a meaningful manner.

i just find my lewd scenes too lewd for SH, so I wasn't sure if I could really write smut without turning it into a full blown hentai story.

and there's the thing about lolis since it's kinda controversial in here, i think?

that's why i prefer them to write hentai, especially if it's my fetish.

D

Deleted member 29316

i just find my lewd scenes too lewd for SH, so I wasn't sure if I could really write smut without turning it into a full blown hentai story.

and there's the thing about lolis since it's kinda controversial in here, i think?

that's why i prefer them to write hentai, especially if it's my fetish.
You just keep your story with you or you upload it in another site?

D

Deleted member 29316

i upload them to Ao3 under the same name--gaylolis. haven't really updated there since i'm focusing on my projects on SH
Ooh...thanks! My interest is piqued, I'd check out your story there. 😁

Nanakawaichan

RR doesn't like beta MC, let alone the typical Japanese MC that defeats bad guys and forgives them and hopes for them to change. But that platform also doesn't allow stories to concentrate too much on smuts either. My story also got the same anger just because my MC didn't want to kill his own uncle and cousin. Though he killed the others sadistically.