SH members get so pressed about RR

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Traitor. She's an RR agent sent to disrupt SHF. I say we get the pitchforks and torches and have ourselves a good old fashioned mob to fix this!

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Traitor. She's an RR agent sent to disrupt SHF. I say we get the pitchforks and torches and have ourselves a good old fashioned mob to fix this!
The corruption is already in too deep... It's too late!

HungrySheep

I like yuri
It's because RR doesn't have a GL/BL tag and you can get drive-by ratings to nuke your story immediately. Personally, I received two 1-star ratings immediately upon upload and it's physically impossible for them to have actually read even a single chapter with the sheer speed of the ratings. It's still possible to get drive-bys on SH, but the thing is that you gotta add it to your reading list which is at least an extra step for trolls.

Another issue I've run into is the quality and diversity of novels. If you look at rising stars on RR, everything is a LitRPG with very few exceptions whereas trending at least has some diversity on SH. I still post on RR and just ignore any comments or ratings as it's free exposure, but I don't get as much traction there since I'm not writing a LitRPG.

Is RR toxic? Somewhat. I think a lot of the drive-by reviews come from other authors when you get onto rising stars because it's easy and competition is fierce. I've never seen an actual written review that's toxic, but you can get a few comments if you're writing GL/BL. Reporting doesn't seem to result in any action. On SH, I've encountered a lot less comments like those.

Honestly, I think if you're writing a male lead, harem-focused LitRPG, RR is an awesome site to get yourself started with 20 kajillion patrons. Writing quality doesn't matter which is the best part.

SailusGebel

It's because RR doesn't have a GL/BL tag and you can get drive-by ratings to nuke your story immediately. Personally, I received two 1-star ratings immediately upon upload and it's physically impossible for them to have actually read even a single chapter with the sheer speed of the ratings. It's still possible to get drive-bys on SH, but the thing is that you gotta add it to your reading list which is at least an extra step for trolls.

Another issue I've run into is the quality and diversity of novels. If you look at rising stars on RR, everything is a LitRPG with very few exceptions whereas trending at least has some diversity on SH. I still post on RR and just ignore any comments or ratings as it's free exposure, but I don't get as much traction there since I'm not writing a LitRPG.

Is RR toxic? Somewhat. I think a lot of the drive-by reviews come from other authors when you get onto rising stars because it's easy and competition is fierce. I've never seen an actual written review that's toxic, but you can get a few comments if you're writing GL/BL. Reporting doesn't seem to result in any action. On SH, I've encountered a lot less comments like those.

Honestly, I think if you're writing a male lead, harem-focused LitRPG, RR is an awesome site to get yourself started with 20 kajillion patrons. Writing quality doesn't matter which is the best part.
Spicy. :blob_popcorn:

HungrySheep

I like yuri
That's just my honest opinion and my best attempt at formulating a serious answer to the question after just waking up ;-;

For real though, RR is probably the best site to build your Patreon and I respect the grind.

SH's community is just a lot more approachable (like y'all) and the readerbase seems to be a lot more chill in my opinion. The "big" authors on this site are also pretty chill, down-to-earth, and don't start weird drama like what happened last (?) month with the whole debacle regarding review manipulation and how big authors can pretty much skirt the rules. There's a whole thread on Reddit for that but I'm not getting into it since I was neither involved nor unbiased.

There was also a huge problem last year with a homophobic review on a BL-subplot novel which sparked a whole bunch of drama. There's a thread on that too, but the gist of it is that there are no plans to add LGBT-related tags on RR anytime soon despite the whole fallout of that situation. I think all the drama, combined with the readerbase, is basically what gives RR the reputation it has.

SailusGebel

That's just my honest opinion and my best attempt at formulating a serious answer to the question after just waking up ;-;

For real though, RR is probably the best site to build your Patreon and I respect the grind.

SH's community is just a lot more approachable (like y'all) and the readerbase seems to be a lot more chill in my opinion. The "big" authors on this site are also pretty chill, down-to-earth, and don't start weird drama like what happened last (?) month with the whole debacle regarding review manipulation and how big authors can pretty much skirt the rules. There's a whole thread on Reddit for that but I'm not getting into it since I was neither involved nor unbiased.

There was also a huge problem last year with a homophobic review on a BL-subplot novel which sparked a whole bunch of drama. There's a thread on that too, but the gist of it is that there are no plans to add LGBT-related tags on RR anytime soon despite the whole fallout of that situation. I think all the drama, combined with the readerbase, is basically what gives RR the reputation it has.
You don't have to reply to me. My experience wasn't a lot better. Also, I love the spice. :blob_uwu:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
YES! GET THE INFIDEL! BURN THEM ALIVE ON THE OFF CHANCE THEY ARE NOT ONE OF US!
BTW, what's "SHF" stand for, and why should I care?
The corruption is already in too deep... It's too late!
It's never too late to turn on each other in an orgy of betrayal!

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
For me, it's the sheer amount of Litrpg, there are just too many of them. Don't get me wrong, I respect Litrpg authors for the sheer amount of information they have to keep in mind, it's just that the ones I touched on are usual the types that I dislike, grind fest, GL, GB, etc.

Not enough drama for me to keep reading.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm pretty sure yours had too much smut to fall under its guidelines also, right?
They manually reviewed it and said it was fine. I'll keep posting there if I ever get around to updating again, but it will just be uploading chapters and not actively engaging with the community.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Never used RR, one public platform is enough for me~ maybe after I finish my story. But then, I’d rather do some ebook self publishing if I edited enough? I’m just gonna hang out and eat my popcorn/melon seeds/ irl Golden Grahams

LowinKeshin

I get better readers in RR than in SH. For some unknown reason, I get lower scores or feedback in SH. In terms of forums though, SH is just better, everyone in RR is just this sweaty person wanting to make a breakthrough with their story for money. There are no banters or friendly chats, all are like rivals in their eyes.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I don't have any problem there maybe it's just my luck? I got some good comments to help improve or correct some grammar part of my story. For the other part of RR I didn't really use the forums who are less active than here on SH but still more active that the one in WN who are flooded by Bot, so I couldn't really judge.

Raymann

Da_Villainess™ (¬‿¬)ψ
Last edited: