Share Your Experience...

AuthorsDread

So today i finished editing roughly 14K words. It ruffled my feathers for 3 days. Which is shocking because it would take a lot less to read this bit. How long do you usually take to edit this amount?

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
That's shocking to hear. I thought you would have said a day or 2. and here i am beating myself up for being so slow.
Tbh, with a 'normal' release schedule, you'd be releasing 2k word chapters a day. Your 14k would be a week worth of work... Although most people don't even manage to edit with schedules like that... They just dump half legible stuff out as quick as possible.

D

Deleted member 54065

So today i finished editing roughly 14K words. It ruffled my feathers for 3 days. Which is shocking because it would take a lot less to read this bit. How long do you usually take to edit this amount?
For me, it'd take just hours, though considering the amount I edit every time I finish a manuscript, 14k is like a walk in the park to me.

I usually edit 60k words or more in five days. After that, I get a huge headache.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
You guys edit? Just do it right the first time! :P

But yeah, it doesn't tend to take long according to the person who offered to edit for me, I tend to be pretty close to good on the first go. Close enough I don't mind releasing without editing.

D

Deleted member 54065

You guys edit? Just do it right the first time! :P
Well, while I also edit as I write along, part of my writing process includes a three-time edit and quality check. First for possible plot-holes, second for grammar/spelling errors and third, for anything that happened to get past the two (though there are instances where an error still escapes my scrutiny).

After all, not only am I writing a story, I'm also establishing a reputation among my readers.

D

Deleted member 113259

It took me over a week to finish my four parter which was 11k.

Major2501

My answer would be, "how long's a piece of string?" I write like a mad woman, basically if I feel the need to write then I'll do it then straight up publish it before the desire fucks off and I'm sat telling myself I should do some writing. It takes me forever to edit and the same applies but to be honest I'm even worse at editing.

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
I work as a freelance journalist, 14K is easy. I grab 3 ai's tell them to proofread, and as they do, I also do a go over. Then I compare the fixes. My dumbass clients pay out the nose, too bad they won't let me fact check them, though if they did, they'd likely never publish.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
After all, not only am I writing a story, I'm also establishing a reputation among my readers.
Its very intriguing to me when I hear this response. I know it is a very common take from people on scribble and other web novel sites.

While I can agree to upholding a certain quality standard in grammar etc, I always want to know why other authors burn themselves out working so hard on maintaining absolute plot consistency and other minutiae for a web novel? Is the final goal just the web novel?

I have an outline of my plot. Vol1-Vol7 so far and what I want to cover major plot wise in each. Then, I just write. Do a quick once over for grammar (which some things always slip through, and readers point out and I fix, and am grateful for).

The reason I ask, is my final goal for anything I'm writing would be self-publishing that work as a full light novel. Which means the web novel is essentially just a first draft. There will be things I want to fix and change for consistency or quality. However, the web novel lets me get immediate feedback from readers, and test the waters for interest.

Maybe I'm just naive because I'm relatively new, but it seems like a lot of web novel authors burn themselves out doing multiple edits and putting a lot of professional level work in for other people to read for free.

I guess, if it is paying your bills, then go all out, its already your job though.

AuthorsDread

For me, it'd take just hours, though considering the amount I edit every time I finish a manuscript, 14k is like a walk in the park to me.

I usually edit 60k words or more in five days. After that, I get a huge headache.
Damn, your brain must be processing fast.
My answer would be, "how long's a piece of string?" I write like a mad woman, basically if I feel the need to write then I'll do it then straight up publish it before the desire fucks off and I'm sat telling myself I should do some writing. It takes me forever to edit and the same applies but to be honest I'm even worse at editing.
Editing can give you a warm time, if you don't have some ice nearby.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Not terribly long. It takes about 30 minutes per 6 pages when I edit my friend's writing. How much is that in words? Maybe 2k? I dunno. For my own story, I normally go through each chapter multiple times over the course of a couple months or more, so it goes anywhere from 2 hours per 2k to four days.

AuthorsDread

Not terribly long. It takes about 30 minutes per 6 pages when I edit my friend's writing. How much is that in words? Maybe 2k? I dunno. For my own story, I normally go through each chapter multiple times over the course of a couple months or more, so it goes anywhere from 2 hours per 2k to four days.
Quite the meticulous editor with your own work.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Quite the meticulous editor with your own work.
Lol! I try to follow the "author is always right, except when they aren't" rule for my friend. In other words, I try to maintain as much of their original work and their intention as possible. So it isn't particularly difficult. The bolding of the edits takes up a large portion of actual time invested.
For my own writing, it is important to me that the reader has the same pacing, imagery, and emphasis on certain moments as I do. I want them to read it as I think it, you know? And first (or even sixth) run through doesn't always do that.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
So I would spend maybe an hour editing grammar and spelling. After that, I left it be and released the chapter. Once I finished what I felt was a good stopping point, I started editing again and now I've been editing daily, partially alongside an editor for over a year. Volume 1 of 8 is nearly ready for publication with 122k words.

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
If I stock up chapters, 2 hours at most. I like to pile up unedited chapters and finish them all in one go.