slavery in novels is annoying

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Yes slavery bad, but before the industrial revolution it was the primary way of getting menial labor done.

This doesn't mean I condone slavery I am just pointing out it did have tremendous power.

Also for those that employ the 'helpless slave' trope I bring you Helots.

Which were Spartan slaves that rebelled consistently, amongst the many other slaves that rebelled across the world.

So unless you have some bullshit instawin pacification magic there should be some sort of rebellious attitude going on with the enslaved.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Yes slavery bad, but before the industrial revolution it was the primary way of getting menial labor done.

This doesn't mean I condone slavery I am just pointing out it did have tremendous power.

Which were Spartan slaves that rebelled consistently, amongst the many other slaves that rebelled across the world.

So unless you have some bullshit instawin pacification magic there should be some sort of rebellious attitude going on with the enslaved.
Even African slaves in America were rebellious too.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller

Dude, Helotes are an epitome of a "helpless slave" They weren't constantly rebelling -- Spartans declared yearly wars on them to keep them subjugated to hell. Even the most edgelord authors writing slavery don't approach the level of cruelty Spartans have done onto helots on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

BB_Tensei

Slavery in novels exists because authors are incels, obviously. It's an inherent deep fear of getting cucked unless the man has complete magic and legal authority over a woman. Slavery in novels exists because the protagonists objectify women and their authors can't imagine holding a woman's attention as anything other than a currency and goods exchange. It also plays into the fantasy of dressing up a woman like a doll and using her, because the slaves, owning nothing for themselves, can only be clothed and equipped by the man. It's the type of trope that says "ok so you don't like nice guys, but what if you were a slave!?" Slavery in novels panders to groomers.

Stop writing slave isekai, write yandere male josei novels with kinky bdsm undertones instead. Those are kinky instead of cringe.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Slavery in novels exists because authors are incels, obviously. It's an inherent deep fear of getting cucked unless the man has complete magic and legal authority over a woman. Slavery in novels exists because the protagonists objectify women and their authors can't imagine holding a woman's attention as anything other than a currency and goods exchange. It also plays into the fantasy of dressing up a woman like a doll and using her, because the slaves, owning nothing for themselves, can only be clothed and equipped by the man. It's the type of trope that says "ok so you don't like nice guys, but what if you were a slave!?" Slavery in novels panders to groomers.

Stop writing slave isekai, write yandere male josei novels with kinky bdsm undertones instead. Those are kinky instead of cringe.
Based :blob_shade:

Mnotia

I'm all for hating some landlords. Like I can respect someone thats renting out one of the rooms in their home for like 300$ a month but I cant stand by the people that rent out a closet for 1.5k$ a month.

Also, it makes an extremely large amount of sense for a NORMAL person from our modern age to go to a different society and go "Hey, this thing within your society is extremely fucked up and if you dont stop doing it I will bomb you."

And commenting on the "what if it was an evil race of people" thing...........bro what?

I am 98% sure that if a group of people came up to you and said "This group of people are our slaves because THEIR RACE IS EVIL AND DISGUSTING" you would most likely go "Oh, so you guys are actually the evil ones?" because most NORMAL people dont go along with what a group of racists have to say about "Evil Races".

Another thing; slavery in novels is commonly used to push a goal for either a big bad or hot characters. Some times it might be both and I'm hardly ok with either of those cause it tends to make a story dull and predictable.

TotallyHuman

Also, it makes an extremely large amount of sense for a NORMAL person from our modern age to go to a different society and go "Hey, this thing within your society is extremely fucked up and if you dont stop doing it I will bomb you."
It is, indeed, normal for a normal person of modern sensibilities to act against slavery through various means given the ability or opportunity.
What is not right is that this is exactly where the author would usually stop putting any thought to it, not adding any more dimension to the problem, making this part of their story flat and uninteresting
And commenting on the "what if it was an evil race of people" thing...........bro what
yeah. What?
I am 98% sure that if a group of people came up to you and said "This group of people are our slaves because THEIR RACE IS EVIL AND DISGUSTING" you would most likely go "Oh, so you guys are actually the evil ones?" because most NORMAL people dont go along with what a group of racists have to say about "Evil Races".
I am pretty sure nobody here said anything about evil and disgusting anybody, but I'll be honest I didn't read the entire thread.