slavery in novels is annoying

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
it's an interesting topic. I'm one of the guys that have used the slave concept but in the world backgrounds. In my world setting all beings have denounced the concept of slavery ages ago but the implication of it has left a deep scar on many that had suffered from it as well as the history of entire races. The resentment is still present since many generations

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
I'm just writing it in as slavery being the last ditch effort by the church to keep them alive.

Background is simple. Current slaves were village pillaging and raping savages. A crusade of sorts was made to exterminatus them after a few decades of trying to bring about a political truce. At the last moment, the church goes, "Oi. They're no longer a threat as they are all crippled and in complete destitute. How about we don't?"

So, the rest figure, "Oh yeah, you're right. We fucked em up good enough. No need to outright wipe them off the face of the world now. However...the constant murdering and raping."

Boom! Only option left.

I'm running off 3 hours of sleep here. My bad for the cringe.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Ever thought about what makes a slave a slave instead of a serf or an asian office worker? Right, nothing but the name. A slave by any other name still works as much. So outside of modern audiences not liking the word "slavery" nothing really changed. Alas, that's the funny thing with words, they provide and change meaning to things.

But yeah, isekai slavery is there for providing MC with bitches and the moral high ground.

"Slavery is bad unless it's ME owning biatches, mothafakka" is about the only message about owning living property most isekais seem to provide.

aattss

Slavery is bad. I'm not even against the MC owning slaves. Just don't create some elaborate justification for why actually it's a good thing in some circumstances and freeing them is bad.

Hanne

It's the way how these scenarios are usually written here when, say, a person from another world, arrives there and encounters a practice that is, from their point of view, barbaric and evil, and choose to force their values on a population (and thus indirectly on the readers by assuming for them that something is good or bad) that makes me annoyed.

And don't get me wrong, I do not support slavery of any sort, but I am sure that the authors could work with it a bit more tastefully.

rant over.

Yep, this is one of the many reasons I wrote my story, where some of the slave actually wanted to be a slave, much to MC's confusion. The chapter is not yet on SH, but it should come out soon. check my sig for links. thank you :blob_aww:

sanitylimited

damn protagonist traped in a cage by slave traders as a snake. cant even speak. some random slave girl gets shoved into the animal section of the slave carage.

protagonist manages to promise the slave that he would help find and save the slave girls sister before figuring out how to escape.

slavery can be intersting/normal but most the time it just goes full retard.

melchi

What is a custom title?
If the protag frees / abolishes slaves without considering the aftermath then all the freed slaves go from being property (Which owners wouldn't want damaged) to an annoying reminder of past sins. Thus jim crow came to be. Did the protag really make the lives of the slaves they freed better?

Hanne

If the protag frees / abolishes slaves without considering the aftermath then all the freed slaves go from being property (Which owners wouldn't want damaged) to an annoying reminder of past sins. Thus jim crow came to be. Did the protag really make the lives of the slaves they freed better?

what people fail to understand is, in medieval and ancient time, slavery is a different concept. it's bad, but it's not as bad as the American Civil War era. in Roman or Medieval, most slave get paid and expected to freed themselves before retirement age.

In fact, some Roman slave can hold assets, have office, a villa, even their own army of slaves. in Roman era, slavery, with the exception of POW, is a form of employment contract. They have so many jobs filled by slaves, from baker to artisan, doctor, legal expert, teacher, even philosophers.

now, imagine some Isekai jerk but OP wanted to abolish all that because he doesn't understand crap. well, things will go down hard and fast.

Hanne

How are landlords evil? They own property then let others live in those same properties, admittedly for money...
the landlord also doesn't ask for peasant to come. it's the peasant who come and ask for land to work, empty house to live, and also borrow money for farming tools, basic living until next harvest. they also don't pay rent, just a share of their harvest.

if anyone mention tax. the landlord do a lot of them because tax rarely paid in goods. meaning he have to collect, sell, gain cash or equal commodities, then deliver it to their monarch. ofc some culture paid in goods, like most eastern dynasty and medieval japan. in fact in japan they paid their retainers in yearly rice, both as measurement, also for currency.

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
It’s a pretty stupid trope. Those who think they can do whatever they want with the slaves have no fucking idea how slavery in the economy works.

Slaves aren’t fruits on the fucking trees for you to grab and even fruits on the fucking trees are not free or out of no where. It’s very rare to meet a certain fruit tree that is in the season and with fruits that is edible and in suitable condition to eat.

Slaves are the same. You think raiding some villages are easy? You first need to identify the village you want to raid. Then you would have to risk your life to even get some of those slaves. Then you need to find a slave merchant. Most of the times if you don’t take good care of the slave, they fucking die before you even meet the merchant and you and your amputated pals just lost your appendages for nothing.

Slave merchants are no fool. They have to work out the cost of carrying all the slaves to a market that would have demand for his slaves (slave buyers are picky and have good eyes to pick out only the most suitable slaves), then the cost to keep the slaves alive and the cost to keep the slaves in good condition. In a world of wild beasts, bandits, diseases, natural disasters, and low healthcare technology, keeping slaves is a fucking logistic nightmare.

As a result, the slaves are not cheap. They would be sold with all the cost above + the margin for profit. The buyers, therefore, would want the slaves to quickly recover the cost of investment. This means getting them into a productive condition such as quickly training them for whatever task you need them to do.

One thing all the slave raiders, slave merchants, and slave owners know better than any fucking non-slave owners such as the stupid authors of generic tropes is that they must not be unnecessarily rough with the slaves. Seriously, no merchant harms their goods. Those are their life lines. Abusing the slaves too much, not feeding them, not getting their sickness treated are a big fucking NO.

Those people may not be technologically advanced as us but they are no fool especially if they managed to get rich in the first place.

If anything, they treat the slaves far better than whatever those retarded heroes could do for them.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
It’s a pretty stupid trope. Those who think they can do whatever they want with the slaves have no fucking idea how slavery in the economy works.

Slaves aren’t fruits on the fucking trees for you to grab and even fruits on the fucking trees are not free or out of no where. It’s very rare to meet a certain fruit tree that is in the season and with fruits that is edible and in suitable condition to eat.

Slaves are the same. You think raiding some villages are easy? You first need to identify the village you want to raid. Then you would have to risk your life to even get some of those slaves. Then you need to find a slave merchant. Most of the times if you don’t take good care of the slave, they fucking die before you even meet the merchant and you and your amputated pals just lost your appendages for nothing.

Slave merchants are no fool. They have to work out the cost of carrying all the slaves to a market that would have demand for his slaves (slave buyers are picky and have good eyes to pick out only the most suitable slaves), then the cost to keep the slaves alive and the cost to keep the slaves in good condition. In a world of wild beasts, bandits, diseases, natural disasters, and low healthcare technology, keeping slaves is a fucking logistic nightmare.

As a result, the slaves are not cheap. They would be sold with all the cost above + the margin for profit. The buyers, therefore, would want the slaves to quickly recover the cost of investment. This means getting them into a productive condition such as quickly training them for whatever task you need them to do.

One thing all the slave raiders, slave merchants, and slave owners know better than any fucking non-slave owners such as the stupid authors of generic tropes is that they must not be unnecessarily rough with the slaves. Seriously, no merchant harms their goods. Those are their life lines. Abusing the slaves too much, not feeding them, not getting their sickness treated are a big fucking NO.

Those people may not be technologically advanced as us but they are no fool especially if they managed to get rich in the first place.

If anything, they treat the slaves far better than whatever those retarded heroes could do for them.
Here you go, you've earned it. 🍺

Notadate

Naw. We need more. But we need even more realism. No joy. Only pain. Capitalism. Communism. Dictators. All the back ally shit I do not dare to say. Britain, with their shanks too.

Except with America and negro (I won’t revoke this because that is what happened, and I can’t change what is called) trade. They did not take care of the slaves. They stuff ships with them, and hoped atleast most lived. So I wouldn’t doubt quite a bit slave merchants in fantasy wouldn’t care.
That's why only Christians should be allowed to have slaves. Good morals are necessary to rule over people. This is why surfs in the middle ages actually had it better than most people do now or ever in the entire history of the planet.
I- I, noooooooooo? I ain’t a slave liking type of dude.

Last edited:

CheertheSecond

Except with America and negro (I won’t revoke this because that is what happened, and I can’t change what is called) trade. They did not take care of the slaves. They stuff ships with them, and hoped atleast most lived. So I wouldn’t doubt quite a bit slave merchants in fantasy wouldn’t care.
I will argue that the technological situation between the US and medieval fantasy are quite different as well as the ease of man hunting in Africa. Fighting tribespeople with guns are not the same as fighting village militia with swords.

Notadate

I will argue that the technological situation between the US and medieval fantasy are quite different as well as the ease of man hunting in Africa. Fighting tribespeople with guns are not the same as fighting village militia with swords.
True, but African people also sold off war slaves to the English.

CheertheSecond

True, but African people also sold off war slaves to the English.
In general, the situation and the tech reduced the cost of procuring and transporting the slaves.

I mean in most medieval worlds, they move goods on land which are far harder and slower than on ships.