So how does publishin a book on amazon work?

Reisinling

Anyone tried publishing their webnovel on amazon in a book form? I know that the "Cinnamon Bun: A Wholesome LitRPG" series is on there, but I was wondering about the process, and if you did that how much time it took, and if it was worth it in general. Also, how do you split it? How many pages are optimal? Formatting? Do you have to sign away any rights to your novel? Other notes?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Anyone tried publishing their webnovel on amazon in a book form? I know that the "Cinnamon Bun: A Wholesome LitRPG" series is on there, but I was wondering about the process, and if you did that how much time it took, and if it was worth it in general. Also, how do you split it? How many pages are optimal? Formatting? Do you have to sign away any rights to your novel? Other notes?
You dont sign away any rights. If you do Select then you are exclusive with Amazon for at least a few months, tho. Anyway you basically just input your bank info, upload a copy of your story and the cover and you're good. May take a while to upload. You will have to add in information like book price and various other things but nothing hard, just basic stuff

There is a section where it asks for a start and end date. Its a tax thing? Anyway pretty sure you have to set a end date that doesnt come up for a while. Cuz i remember getting a "needs action" report one day and the story was taken off Amazon temporarily because it passed the tax date. So i had to set the end date for that further down and everything was good again.

For formatting i didnt do any of that, just do a pdf file. I dont think they take MOBI anymore.

Is it worth it? Not really unless you have a large reader base, a loyal one, or advertise your book well. Dont go in thinking its gonna earn you big bucks otherwise. I made like 200 over the course of several months? And i had a lot of readers back then.

Razmatazz

Dungeon Cultist
Okay, so this is an easy one for me because I burned my fingers with this. :sweat_smile:

I have 3 books for sale on Amazon, as both e-books - all on Kindle Unlimited, and as soft-covers. It cost 0$ to set up, it's entirely free to publish on amazon. But I have also spent about 200€ on amazon ads. And for that effort my statistics list a grand total of... 3 pages read and 1 purchase (that turned into a 1 star review haha, ouch)

I also happen to have 3 running stories on Scribblehub, my very first page here got more views in one hour than all of my books on Amazon combined ever did, by orders of magnitude and that at 0 cost. Sure, readers read for 'free' here, but having free readers is better than having 0 paid readers. There's nothing that hurts more than spending months on a book any nobody ever looks at it once. In my eyes, Amazon is a trap and it's not worth it if you aren't hyper-specialized author/blogger or already known author. Besides, those free readers trickle in Patrons if you work hard enough to earn their trust.

For me personally, the 'no-barriers of entry' style of writing is working out better. Simply because I am motivated by the comments and feedback that helps me become better. Nobody is going to take the time to point out your mistakes on amazon of all places.

Tl;dr - You will literally not be seen on amazon, your novel will drown beneath the ocean of content and never see the light of day unless you are hyper specialized or write in a niche language or willing to spend thousands of dollars on advertising

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Oh. Also if you upload it to places other than amazon, increase the price there a little. Amazon always wants to have the lowest price listed for whatever they sell, apparently.

RavensDagger

how much time it took, and if it was worth it in general. Also, how do you split it? How many pages are optimal? Formatting? Do you have to sign away any rights to your novel? Other notes?
It takes about 2 weeks more than you think it will.
Optimal isn't page lenght, but word count, you'll want to be around 100K to keep readers happy.
No, your rights remain your own. Going with Kindle Ultimate (not to be confused with normal Kindle) will sign you up for a temporary exclusivity deal.

Businesssn

Brick-San the god of wholesome hentai
The man who fights monsters author made it Amazon exclusive so he had to delete book one of his story.

But if you’re going to add your book on Amazon for money it the best idea to delete it here and everywhere else since why would someone buy something if it’s already free

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
This is why I've kind of decided not to try to monetize my writing until I can attempt to get into traditional publishing. I am aware of the great difficulty in this, but it sounds like any other option is not worth it at all.

At least when you sign on with a publisher you are guaranteed to get money, and most people that like fantasy and Sci fi will much rather read in this format.

Question though, has anyone on the site ever actually gotten a PayPal tip?

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Yes. Look in Ai-chan's signature. Felicia's Second Life is sold on Amazon. Basically, the first thing you want to do is convert your docx into another format. You can send them as

1. Docx, though the formatting may get messed up.
2. PDF, which is a fixed book format, which means if your story type border is 400 pixels horizontal, it will remain 400 pixels horizontal no matter in which viewer you're viewing it from. Amazon doesn't like PDF because PDF has some proprietary formatting that could cause problems in Kindle.
3. Mobi, which is also a fixed book format, but Amazon likes this because it's more open source and you can't go wrong with it. Ai-chan submitted Felicia's Second Life as a .mobi
4. EPUB, there used to be a time when Amazon won't accept this because it made a mess in Kindle, but Ai-chan checked and it's now accepted. It is a variable format, which means you can zoom in, zoom out and your formatting will follow the size you prefer, instead of just focusing on one area with bigger font like mobi or pdf.

There are others, but Ai-chan never tried them. When Ai-chan sold FSL, KPF format didn't exist yet. Have a look yourself https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200634390

Then, you need to register yourself to KDP program. Use your real name here. If you don't use your real name here, you could be charged with fraud, because you also need to file your tax documents here. They will also require your real name to transfer payments to your bank. So don't use nicknames or made up names. Don't give Amazon free money.

And then there's another consideration. If you don't live in the United States or your country don't have tax treaty with the USA, you will lose 30% of your earnings right away due to USA Withholding Tax. This is on top of anything Amazon charges you for using their services. What this means is, if Amazon takes 20% cut, you lose 50% the moment you earn it. Gone, poof, you can't take it back unless your country has a tax treaty with the USA, and if you do, you should've mentioned this in your tax filing before you upload the book to Amazon.

Yes, there is no workaround to that withholding tax. You WILL be charged 30% withholding tax because Amazon is registered in America. Even if you work or live in America, you will still be charged 30% withholding tax. Difference is, you get it back when you do tax returns. If you live outside the USA, there is no chance of getting it back.

As for rights, in general, you retain all rights to your own work. This means that if you want to post it on smashwords or xinxii or itunes, you can. Amazon only ask that you give Amazon the lowest pricing. If they find your book sold for lower than their price elsewhere, they will ask you to lower their price or they will take your book down. This is the standard KDP, Kindle Direct Publishing, non-exclusive and what Felicia's Second Life is on.

How much does it make? Not much, but Ai-chan still gets income now. First month it was published, Ai-chan got USD700, then the next month USD600, then it went down. Nowadays, Ai-chan only got like less than USD20 a month. Unfortunately US fucking A took much of that money.

Or you can take the Kindle Unlimited option, which is where you're paid per page read. However, this is an exclusivity contract and you are not allowed to have any other copy of that book anywhere. Not digital on the net or physical in bookstores. The rights are still yours and you can get out at any time, but if you choose this option, this is exclusivity. It pays more, but if you're a no-name nobody, it probably wouldn't matter unless you're very good.

Last edited:

Reisinling

As for rights, in general, you retain all rights to your own work. This means that if you want to post it on smashwords or xinxii or itunes, you can. Amazon only ask that you give Amazon the lowest pricing. If they find your book sold for lower than their price elsewhere, they will ask you to lower their price or they will take your book down. This is the standard KDP, Kindle Direct Publishing, non-exclusive and what Felicia's Second Life is on.

How much does it make? Not much, but Ai-chan still gets income now. First month it was published, Ai-chan got USD700, then the next month USD600, then it went down. Nowadays, Ai-chan only got like less than USD20 a month. Unfortunately US fucking A took much of that money.

Thank you for the extensive write up, it was very interesting and quite likely very helpful. I've never heard about xinxii before, and as I don't use apple products I didn't know itunes also sold books. It makes me wonder what is the general ratio of expected sales.. but then If you complete an ebook uploading is most likely not much of a problem. The tax part will most likely require more attention... that's why it's important to be able to guesstimate the potential earnings, as it tells me whether it's worth asking for advice from professional, or just doing whatever

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Thank you for the extensive write up, it was very interesting and quite likely very helpful. I've never heard about xinxii before, and as I don't use apple products I didn't know itunes also sold books. It makes me wonder what is the general ratio of expected sales.. but then If you complete an ebook uploading is most likely not much of a problem. The tax part will most likely require more attention... that's why it's important to be able to guesstimate the potential earnings, as it tells me whether it's worth asking for advice from professional, or just doing whatever
It is hard to guesstimate your potential earning. Ai-chan had a lot of things going for Ai-chan back then:
1. Ai-chan story was published during the height of Japanese isekai light novel craze, before the Chinese shianshia light fiction started to blow up like mushroom.
2. Ai-chan's story was gender-bender, which was popular at the time
3. Ai-chan had the assistance of two original novel listing sites, Ai-chan can't remember their names, but they're both gone now.
4. Royalroad (one of the places where Ai-chan posted an early version of FSL) was a great place where creativity flowed like mating rabbits, compared to its authoritarian paradise now. Ai-chan talks a lot of smack about Andur's fanboys, but other than that, it was a great place.
5. Ai-chan had a loyal fanbase consisting of a bunch of 'just graduated youngsters' with more money for their hobbies and older generation who're supportive of new gender-bender authors
6. Ai-chan published at the right time
7. Ai-chan promoted the book continuously for two years prior to publication
8. Some of people who purchased the books didn't even read it, they just purchased it as thanks for making them laugh with the webnovel