Writing Sooo..... what is the difference between adult and mature genres?

:blob_hmm: :blob_hmm: :blob_hmm: :blob_hmm:

I kinda thought I knew what that the genres are but I see authors posting stories that don't really correlate to what I thought....

Soooo... I thought I'd ask

What would you (not a universal truth but YOU specifically) categorise as genre "mature" and what is "adult"? and as a side thing where does "Seinen" fit into all this?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Same thing but targeted towards women
Josei is basically Adult sex scenes but the foreplay to intercourse ratio is HEAVILY LEANING to the former and a lot of heavy breathing plus sexual innuendos.

Imagine your average romance manga but the man is 6' 5", always seems to be wearing a V-neck and is somehow constantly soaked from the top down to the point where his nipples are fucking sprinklers.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Mature is heavy subject matters with realism while Adult is things that aren't allowed for the kiddies. Smut is a streamy erotic focused story (or a bait genre because you need more clicks and then whine afterwards because you get more hate by deceiving your readers).

Seinen is out-of-puberty-but-not-quite-adult-yet fictions, dealing with the stuff of the adults, serious relationship, drugs, taxes, drama, family.

Eleven_M.A.

and a lot of heavy breathing
Gross, actually. If your target audience is female, don't do that.
Imagine your average romance manga but the man is 6' 5", always seems to be wearing a V-neck and is somehow constantly soaked from the top down to the point where his nipples are fucking sprinklers.
You forgot he's ripped no matter his lifestyle, has a permanent scowl and keeps the heroine in a dog cage :cautious:

tigerine

Gross, actually. If your target audience is female, don't do that.

You forgot he's ripped no matter his lifestyle, has a permanent scowl and keeps the heroine in a dog cage :cautious:

I see you played Amnesia: Memories too.

Raebit

Adult= more of the sex scenes, focusing on the r18 part. usually happy s*x, or tragedy.
Mature= gore, heavy, dark, blood theme, the sexual themes isn't focus. => only depicted the cruelty, casual or heavy vibe / passing by than focusing the sex scene.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
Mature is heavy subject matters with realism while Adult is things that aren't allowed for the kiddies. Smut is a streamy erotic focused story (or a bait genre because you need more clicks and then whine afterwards because you get more hate by deceiving your readers).

Seinen is out-of-puberty-but-not-quite-adult-yet fictions, dealing with the stuff of the adults, serious relationship, drugs, taxes, drama, family.
This whole discussion is actually making me wonder if I need to change my own story's tags.

Especially here, was.. I have the Smut tag but it's not "focused" on it?
I must admit I wasn't sure what to pick and didn't want to do redundant genres so I went with the one that seemed to imply the most there would be sex scenes.

Though, out of 17 chapters and the prologue with ~76k words, there are only 3 scenes consisting of somewhere around 2k to 4k(not counted?) words.

No one has said anything about though, so it seems ok? I'm so confused now.

Oh, and I had the Josei genre because google said it was like shonen/seinen but more focused on women's interests?
This line especially is something more like what I had imagined in my story.
Josei manga often portray realistic romance, as opposed to the mostly idealized romance of shōjo manga.