Sound based magic attacks

Tempokai

Overworked One
Imagine, in large battle of good and evil, where hundreds of thousands are fighting, someone drops the bass so hard, it breaks battlefield because no one was safe from the sound. What the immediate reaction of armies and generals would be?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Imagine, in large battle of good and evil, where hundreds of thousands are fighting, someone drops the bass so hard, it breaks battlefield because no one was safe from the sound. What the immediate reaction of armies and generals would be?
Well, if it breaks the battlefield and is due to a bass drop then it would probably be similar to an earthquake. most of the people fighting (if it's like a generic fantasy battle where everyone is fighting in a huge crowd) would probably die or be traumatized by the ground tearing open and crushing friend and foe alike between large masses of dirt, stone, and grass. the immediate reaction probably would be screams of terror and fear. Not to mention that every single one of their eardrums would most likely rupture from the sound. The more battle-crazed ones would probably survive to continue fighting due to plot armor and badassery though. They would probably all go for the bass-dropping mage since they were the one they now consider the biggest threat and/or the most powerful enemy.

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

Level 73 Practical Procastinator
If I were the general on my side, I would prioritize evacuation and treating injured soldiers. I would order my troops to retreat as soon as possible.
Assuming there are troops to be treated and evacuated, that is...

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Prepare for daemonic incursion, Slaanesh has announced shems presence.

Oakpoke

You literally just described the Gura Gura no mi. Also for more sound based devil fruit shenanigans, try the greatest One Piece fanfiction This Bites! by the great minds of Cross-Brain.

Brandondee

Their ears would probably be bleeding if the sound was loud enough to crack the ground. So I guess their reaction would be to scream in pain and hold their ears

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Heyo! I'm new here To scribble hub! ^^ And how do you post on The Lounge?
Profile posts get taken there. On SH main.
Oh right, the thread. They do the Naruto thing and never bring up again, the "future of ninjutsu" thing. That seems really obviously important.

Maruki used Halloween Theme Song (from Halloween II)!

It made enemies gain fear!

+25 fear points for enemies.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
As sound is the movement of particles, typically through the air, it is quite possible that wind mages would provide defense against it, especially if they were already trying to disrupt ranged attacks such as arrow volleys. If it was powerful enough, however, it would transmit through the ground, likely making people queasy and possibly making them stumble. A single blast would be fairly weak in this situation, while sustained could be crippling. Depending on the frequency, there is also the possibility of resonant waves forming, which could cause serious damage or destruction to relatively homogeneous materials such as metal, crystal, and some forms of stone, though biological objects tend to be much harder to harm that way due to the multitude of different materials.

Without protection via wind magic, such an attack would be a very potent weapon against mages, due to easily disrupting concentration, and depending on setting, possibly deafening them, making it harder to speak the proper incantations due to inability to hear their own voice.

I'd have to say it is very heavily dependent on both setting and situation due to these factors. Additionally, if it had happened before, there would likely be protection developed against it, similar to how gas masks were developed when chemical warfare was used. If it was the first time, there would likely be panic and disruption of order, with the additional difficulty of damaged hearing when trying to regain control. Depending on the views of the generals involved, they may attempt to coerce the caster into serving them, or simply attempt to kill them, with a lesser possibility being attempting to get them to remain neutral and stop interfering.