Sour or Sweet?

AuthorsDread

My taste and choice in words are varyingly different form others, is this a bad thing to be who i am and write what i'm interested in?
Say for instance that i simply want to write a story about plants alone and there standing in the environment. Many might find this boring to read but does that mean that i shouldn't pursue my passion?

D

Deleted member 57675

Its not. You can have your own style. But you need be able walk before you run. Like some basic grammar stuff so readers won't do a double take.

People write what they want. The problem is whether they also want people to enjoy what they write, and do they value that more than their own self-satisfaction of their story?

AuthorsDread

Its not. You can have your own style. But you need be able walk before you run. Like some basic grammar stuff so readers won't do a double take.

People write what they want. The problem is whether they also want people to enjoy what they write, and do they value that more than their own self-satisfaction of their story?
I agree with what you're saying. Even if grammar and structure is top notch, it still doesn't beat the fact that many people won't be interested to read about simple plants. And even so what if i still which to pursue this regardless of already being aware that many won't be drawn to it? The narrow path might be empty but at least i will be able to cross the bridge of my own design without regretting it... i think.

Daitengu

Sweet. Sour is painfully strong to me. Imagine licking a lemon in strength, but it really pickles.

PS: Wait, you're not talking about food...

Eh... Ah, still works for my taste in writing. But really you should do you. There's never going to be a time someone isn't hating your existence, so you might as well do write whatever ya want.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 57675

I agree with what you're saying. Even if grammar and structure is top notch, it still doesn't beat the fact that many people won't be interested to read about simple plants. And even so what if i still wish to pursue this regardless of already being aware that many won't be drawn to it? The narrow path might be empty but at least i will be able to cross the bridge of my own design without regretting it... i think.
Then go for it. Unless its one those things that warrant you to check on ScribbleHub policy of whats allowed.

Heck someone mention about posting a biography on here once. And immersions. And compendium or something. If you don't care about popularity then write what you want.

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
My taste and choice in words are varyingly different form others, is this a bad thing to be who i am and write what i'm interested in?
Say for instance that i simply want to write a story about plants alone and there standing in the environment. Many might find this boring to read but does that mean that i shouldn't pursue my passion?
I mean as long as you're happy then go ahead? I mean life is for you to enjoy.

BlackKnightX

What’s your purpose in writing? Do you wanna make money, get famous, and get lots of praises? Or maybe you just write for yourself, to have fun? If it’s the former, then you should write for readers, study what they want and why they want it, then write to satisfy the reader’s desire, entertain them. But, if it’s the latter, then you can do anything you want. Why not? You don’t care about anyone reading it, so why hesitate now, right?

But let me guess. I think the reason why you asked this question in the first place is because you want both, right? You want to write and have fun yourself, while at the same time also entertain readers. If that’s what you want, then you can have the best of both worlds. Study readers and popular stories and combine them with your own interests; then you’ll be ready for the exciting endeavor. Good luck~

Last edited:

AuthorsDread

What’s your purpose in writing? Do you wanna make money, get famous, and get lots of praises? Or maybe you just write for yourself, to have fun? If it’s the former, then you should write for readers, study what they want and why they want it, then write to satisfy the reader’s desire, entertain them. But, if it’s the latter, then you can do anything you want. Why not? You don’t care about anyone reading it, so why hesitate now, right?

But let me guess. I think the reason why you asked this question in the first place is because you want both, right? You want to write and have fun yourself, while at the same time also entertain readers. If that’s what you want, then you can have the best of both worlds. Study readers and popular stories and combine them with what your own interests; then you’ll be ready for the exciting endeavor. Good luck~
Good advice for sure.

Temple

And even so what if i still which to pursue this regardless of already being aware that many won't be drawn to it?
This is kind of yours to answer though? The two extreme ends of the spectrum are absolute pandering to everything popular even if you don't like it, and the other is writing something no one cares for but that you love. It's your time that will be spent writing so you decide. If you want to write what you love and also get readers, then better brainstorm how to tweak your story to cater a bit to the majority while retaining your plans for it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Write what you love, and someone else will also love it. Kim Stanley Robinson, for example, might interest you. I got a signed book from him once because my ex-boyfriend liked his writing, and I managed to read the whole thing since it was short, but I didn't really enjoy it.

Toripuru-S

Definitely do what you love, because it's impossible to appeal to everyone all the time. BUT if you want any amount of exposure, even if it's just exactly 1 reader, you have to make what you write interesting. You can't be 100% selfish, 99.9% selfish is fine, but 100 is too far 😉.

Focusing specifically on "your tastes and choice of words". If you're telling an interesting story, "your tastes" won't be an issue. On the other hand if your "choice of words" = 0 readers because it's too difficult to understand your writing, then that absolutely can be an issue. A niche choice of words can be fine, but well executed delivery and clear communication will speak for itself.