Stories with summaries as the title

tofu_moon

Sooo, I’ve noticed that many stories in the trending ranks tend to have the basic summary of the story as a title (reincarnated as a xxx, I’m a xxx, My xxx is a xxx.)

This probably started from the Japnese LNs like tensei shitara slime datta ken (reincarnated as a slime), kumo desuga nanika (I’m a spider, so what) and so on.

For me, it feels too-, too- upfront? If that’s descriptive enough? I do enjoy them, but some of the titles are super long. (I’m looking at you, KonoSuba and OreImo!)

so why are they popular?

what are your opinions on titles like these, I just wanna know~

Last edited:

DekuKurohi

What would a combination of ZUN and Nasu be like?
Honestly not a big fan, really am not.
Of course if it's short and covey the story still I'm fine with it, but I'm really not enthusiastic about these long sentences for a title at all, feels uncreative or done to follow trends.
I know I'm a bit hypocritical since I watch some of them and my first version of Re:Maou have that sort of title but still... at least have a short main title or some sort of acronym for it or something? I'm a bit sick of it all to be honest, thanks for making this thread so I can rant about it.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Sooo, I’ve noticed that many stories in the trending ranks tend to have the hook of the story as a title (reincarnated as a xxx, I’m a xxx, My xxx is a xxx.)

This probably started from the Japnese LNs like tensei shitara slime datta ken (reincarnated as a slime), kumo desuga nanika (I’m a spider, so what) and so on.

For me, it feels too-, too- upfront? If that’s descriptive enough? I do enjoy them, but some of the titles are super long. (I’m looking at you, KonoSuba and OreImo!)

so why are they popular?

I especially hate when they put tags in the title. Like, "blah blah blah(BoysLove18+)"
Like wtf? I dont mind BL stories either. I just think it looks cringey af that way.

D

Deleted member 29316

I'm guilty of this as well...but my stories are full of twists that the title becomes applicable a few chapters into the story only.

tofu_moon

Honestly not a big fan, really am not.
Of course if it's short and covey the story still I'm fine with it, but I'm really not enthusiastic about these long sentences for a title at all, feels uncreative or done to follow trends.
I know I'm a bit hypocritical since I watch some of them and my first version of Re:Maou have that sort of title but still... at least have a short main title or some sort of an acronym for it or something? I'm a bit sick of it all to be honest, thanks for making this thread so I can rant about it.

I totally get that! When the summary IS the title I feel like what’s the point of a title then? What even is a title? I mean, I’ll admit I do enjoy stories with titles like these, but what happened to titles? Will “normal” titles eventually die out? :(

I'm guilty of this myself i just did it to go along with the meme of having sentences for titles and because i'm a huge weeb.

10/10 for memeability! I see that you’re in trending! Congrats!! Proves my thinking that they are indeed popular :blob_sweat: i like that you have a shortened title for your story already *puts both thumbs up*

now you have to tell me what kodomajo stands for. I’m guessing kodoku na majo?:blob_cookie:

I especially hate when they put tags in the title. Like, "blah blah blah(BoysLove18+)"
Like wtf? I dont mind BL stories either. I just think it looks cringey af that way.

EXACTLY!!!

Stratothrax

It started in japan apparently because the online Light Novel scene over there is insanely competitive and being directly upfront about what the story is helps get views and a following. The technique doesnt follow over that well in English because you can get the same amount of information across in half the number of characters with those type of runic languages so they look all the more absurdly long in English.

This is actually why twitter doubled the number of latin language characters per tweet to 280, because many asian languages were able to get twice as much information packed in per tweet because their characters are simply more information-dense.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I guess readers are more likely to click on the novel if the title suggests that they're going to like the contents.

These sorts of titles might not be ideal, but they work a little more reliably than traditional titles, where a reader might click and find that the title was the only thing about the novel that interested them, or don't click on a novel they'd love because the title isn't eye-catching.

That's because writing it in the title like that is part of BL culture for historical reasons.

Even though SH provides a "Boys Love" genre, most sites (especially in the past) aren't so helpful, or getting to the section where you can browse BL works is lengthy and few readers will go the distance.

Creators would therefore put BL on the front cover, in the title, and in the description, in order to make them easier to identify and search for.

In addition, advertising BL like this does two things:
1. It lets BL readers know right away that they're coming across stuff they'll like, so they're more likely to click and read right away. BL fans are used to being advertised to in this way and will actively appreciate it, usually.

2. It provides every warning possible to people who dont like BL, cutting down on the number of morons who will bitch after clicking onto it. Note that this will only reduce them - you will always get some arsehole who will walk into a harcore BDSM yaoi and whine that he thought it was straight, somehow.

So, yeah, it may not be so necessary here on SH, but it's no surprise that people are carrying over the tradition. Especially if this isn't the only place they post.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Sooo, I’ve noticed that many stories in the trending ranks tend to have the basic summary of the story as a title (reincarnated as a xxx, I’m a xxx, My xxx is a xxx.)

so why are they popular?

*is wondering if hers is in this category too, even when there is a summary that isn't the title*
|.o)

X

DubstheDuke

I mean I personally find it to be kinda cheap. It's sorta like.... clickbait? Not that all clickbait is actually misrepresenting the content of the story, but essentially what's happening is people will see the title before anything else. When they see a title that describes the story, you're sorta jumping on them and already have the one up over the other stories because it's more like they read a description even tho they're only at the title stage. Perhaps I'm just stubborn not to do this, but I really like my title and think it has a very deep meaning with the overall themes of the story

Nahrenne

I mean I personally find it to be kinda cheap. It's sorta like.... clickbait? Not that all clickbait is actually misrepresenting the content of the story, but essentially what's happening is people will see the title before anything else. When they see a title that describes the story, you're sorta jumping on them and already have the one up over the other stories because it's more like they read a description even tho they're only at the title stage. Perhaps I'm just stubborn not to do this, but I really like my title and think it has a very deep meaning with the overall themes of the story
In my case, I couldn't think of a better title tbh.
>w<

X

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I guess readers are more likely to click on the novel if the title suggests that they're going to like the contents.

These sorts of titles might not be ideal, but they work a little more reliably than traditional titles, where a reader might click and find that the title was the only thing about the novel that interested them, or don't click on a novel they'd love because the title isn't eye-catching.

That's because writing it in the title like that is part of BL culture for historical reasons.

Even though SH provides a "Boys Love" genre, most sites (especially in the past) aren't so helpful, or getting to the section where you can browse BL works is lengthy and few readers will go the distance.

Creators would therefore put BL on the front cover, in the title, and in the description, in order to make them easier to identify and search for.

In addition, advertising BL like this does two things:
1. It lets BL readers know right away that they're coming across stuff they'll like, so they're more likely to click and read right away. BL fans are used to being advertised to in this way and will actively appreciate it, usually.

2. It provides every warning possible to people who dont like BL, cutting down on the number of morons who will bitch after clicking onto it. Note that this will only reduce them - you will always get some arsehole who will walk into a harcore BDSM yaoi and whine that he thought it was straight, somehow.

So, yeah, it may not be so necessary here on SH, but it's no surprise that people are carrying over the tradition. Especially if this isn't the only place they post.
hm. Now that i think of it, at least i have never really seen BL as a genre very often when browsing a site that hosts novels. I see the usual romance, adventure, supernatural and historical genres and the like, but i mean BL is hardly a "genre" and more of an element in the story. So okay yeah i guess i can understand the need to put that in the title.

I would never put it that way otherwise. It certainly isnt needed in sites like NU and SH where you can browse by tags tho, yeah.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

so why are they popular?

I wouldn't say so. There was a time when long titles were en vogue in Western literature, in Baroque literature to be specific up to the enlightment era. The primary fucntion of the title was to inform as summaries were unusual for this time period. Long titles fell then gradually out favour.

To give an example, the full title of Robinson Crusoe is in fact

The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates.

Last edited:

tofu_moon

I wouldn't say so. There was a time when long titles were en vogue in Western literature, in Baroque literature to be specific up to the enlightment era. The primary fucntion of the title was to inform and summaries were unusual for this time period. Long titles fell then gradually fell out favour.

To give an example, the full title of Robinson Crusoe is in fact

The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates.

ohhh! Thank you for the enlightenment:blob_aww:

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
In short, I love the "western" type of titles. Yes, my first novel might not exactly follow that style ("I Own a Brothel in Another World"), but it just fit it much better. Like, for my new story I was torn between things like "Tale of the Weakest Summoner", "Rising of the Weakest Summoner", and such. And actually, my first ever story, which is getting pushed back with its release like all the time, also has a more "normal" title - The Fourth Pillar.

I like them short and catchy. And there are a lot of nice titles around SH. Or were. Like Beastborne, Runesmith, The Queen's Hound, and others.

OvidLemma

Honestly, there's almost zero chance that I'll read a story with a title like that. I usually make my reading decisions based on the synopsis and tags, not the title, and I don't think I've ever seen somebody writing "I Was Reincarnated as an Armadillo, and Now I Think I'm in Love With My Cousin!" offer an even half-decent synopsis. If you cannot make your story sound captivating and well-written in the synopsis, there's no way I'll find the story rewarding, no matter how wacky your title is.

Nahrenne

Honestly, there's almost zero chance that I'll read a story with a title like that. I usually make my reading decisions based on the synopsis and tags, not the title, and I don't think I've ever seen somebody writing "I Was Reincarnated as an Armadillo, and Now I Think I'm in Love With My Cousin!" offer an even half-decent synopsis. If you cannot make your story sound captivating and well-written in the synopsis, there's no way I'll find the story rewarding, no matter how wacky your title is.
*boops your nose*
|.o)
How's my synopsis?

X

OvidLemma

*boops your nose*
|.o)
How's my synopsis?

X
Not bad! It tells the reader what to expect with enough of a question to leave them wanting more, and it has no liabilities that would detract an otherwise-interested reader. It could use a little polish, but I'm sure the same can be said of all of mine.