Strange PM

Blitz

『⛰Ping-Pong Cat❄️』『⚡️New member⚡️』
Looking at their profile activity on the main site, it looks like they're a scout for a company like webnovel

PandaSempai

They're probably trying to pull you over to their platform and write there exclusively. I heard that they're paying quite a generous amount. Well, you will also have some kind of editor there.

According to the forum of Webnovel, they give contracts to Original Novel Writers and Fanfic Writers. To get a contract, you first have to publish 30k words and you have to do it daily. Then, these chapters have to be at the bare minimum of 1,800 words.

For fanfic writers, they just let them unlock some kind of gifting system where the readers can throw some virtual coins at the author as a kind of donation. For Original Authors, they will go 'premium' when they sign the contract of webnovel. I think authors get a minimum of $200 per month if you publish over 1.8k words daily?

PandaSempai

It's either you who can send them a kind of petition to get that contract or some editor dude pass by and spot your work. Some 'great' authors there managed to earn some 100k+. Dunno if what Webnovel posted was true though.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
200$ minimum sounds like a ripoff for daily updates. :blob_awkward:

PandaSempai

200$ minimum sounds like a ripoff for daily updates. :blob_awkward:
The authors who experienced it said that it was a pay for when no one 'buys' a chapter in a month. Going premium means that the chapters will be locked and the readers need to actually pay some 'coins' to 'unlock' the chapter.

LostLibrarian

So with my slow writing of ~600 words/hour I would end up with an hourly wage of less than 3$ an hour?
I understand that some authors live in areas where money has a different worth, but damn...

Just for the lulz... with a chapter unlock costing ~22 cents, and with the idea that maybe half will go to the author (probably a lot less), I would need ~350 buying readers/chapter just to reach the poverty line for my country. So if 1 in a 100 actually goes through all their hassle and throws money at my chapters, I would need around 35k active readers to support low living standard.

*looks at his 150 readers* Yeah... I did the right thing :blob_cringe:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
So with my slow writing of ~600 words/hour I would end up with an hourly wage of less than 3$ an hour?
I understand that some authors live in areas where money has a different worth, but damn...

Just for the lulz... with a chapter unlock costing ~22 cents, and with the idea that maybe half will go to the author (probably a lot less), I would need ~350 buying readers/chapter just to reach the poverty line for my country. So if 1 in a 100 actually goes through all their hassle and throws money at my chapters, I would need around 35k active readers to support low living standard.

:blob_aww: That is better than my 500 words per 3 hours. I am rooting for you!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Medic? O.o Didn't know you were this type of people. How is it to be a field medic?
Absolute fucking buffoons being ungrateful little shits. Somehow it's my fault that you charged into a sentry nest knowing full well I don't have Uber. What am I supposed to do? Pull another extra 40% from my ass? Then there are those with 90% health and are demanding my undying attention over this heavy here who's two blips away from seeing his Soviet God.

Still, it's a job I'm happy enough to do. I take pleasure in my job knowing without me, these little shits have no chance of winning.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Ben is a man of culture playing the best FPS.

On topic that’s a scam.

PandaSempai

I usually write around 700/hour. Usually faster when I'm not having difficulties. The hardest chapter I wrote was actually a 600 word count Omake Episode where I had to write in a little girl's perspective. It was so damn hard I only managed to complete it after 1 and a half day.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
The authors who experienced it said that it was a pay for when no one 'buys' a chapter in a month. Going premium means that the chapters will be locked and the readers need to actually pay some 'coins' to 'unlock' the chapter.
An employer still should give you enough money to live even if you have bad months. It doesn’t mean that you can stop posting just because sales are bad. :blob_popcorn_two:

PandaSempai

An employer still should give you enough money to live even if you have bad months. It doesn’t mean that you can stop posting just because sales are bad. :blob_popcorn_two:
Yep. Everyone was saying that it was definitely a bad contract. However, those who actually earned a lot without the support of the platform(because they have a huge fanbase) was trying to defend it, adamantly insisting that it wasn't a bad contract at all.

I mean, it definitely wasn't bad if you're just writing as some kind of hobby. You will get a chump change for that same hobby. However, if you accept the contract to earn a living, it's not gonna cut it.