Sunset's Art Thread?

EternalSunset0

Figured it's about as good of a time to share my art here. Been drawing on and off for quite some time, but the quarantine at the midpoint of the year got me into trying to learn drawing seriously. That and writing my own story and getting inspiration from wanting to draw my own characters out. I can only do traditional pencil and paper art, but I'll be learning how to convert them into digital drawings for me to color.

For now, here are some works that I have.

Tsugumi Hazawa (Bang Dream)

Mash Kyrielight (FGO)

Rin Hashima (Vanguard G)

I believe I have shared this in some other thread, but here are two side characters from my story: Akane Fujiwara and Sayori Misawa (who don't even appear much until volume 2 lol).

Ral

There are some anatomical errors, stiff poses, wonky details and Rin Hashima is in an uncomfortable pose, but overall, you got the anime style well.

You are especially good at drawing anime faces. It seems like you got a lot of practice drawing anime faces.

EternalSunset0

There are some anatomical errors, stiff poses, wonky details and Rin Hashima is in an uncomfortable pose, but overall, you got the anime style well.

You are especially good at drawing anime faces. It seems like you got a lot of practice drawing anime faces.
Thanks for the feedback!

I guess that explains it. I did feel there's something a bit off with the details. It probably is because the poses are quite stiff. I guess it comes with using hard polygons when constructing the body, so I had a lot of sharp lines and boxes.

I hope I can learn better poses soon. Will keep working. :blob_okay:

Reactions: Ral

Ral

I guess that explains it. I did feel there's something a bit off with the details. It probably is because the poses are quite stiff. I guess it comes with using hard polygons when constructing the body, so I had a lot of sharp lines and boxes.
Well, using hard polygons, sharp lines and boxes aren't really a problem. The poses are kinda their own thing that demands their own studies and have little to do with how you draw.
I hope I can learn better poses soon. Will keep working. :blob_okay:
If I may suggest, one way to make the poses better is to use curves. That is make the pose follow curves instead of straight lines.

Your poses are like this and I overlay their corresponding lines:
pose_straight.jpeg

pose_straight_lines.jpeg

Here is the curve versions (especially important when posing is the 'S' curve):
pose_curve.jpeg

pose_curve_lines.jpeg

Essentially tilt and twist things so they don't line up straight.

Also, arms straight horizontal or vertical looks really stiff since we rarely pose our arms that way naturally.

The thing though is that it might become even more harder to draw characters but that is just how things go.

EternalSunset0

Might as well also post some stuff that I already made. I'll probably fix them soon with the tips from @Ral.

The two main heroines from my story, Sayaka Uehara and Miki Amagi~

Gotta learn how to draw arms and perspectives :blob_hmm_two: I'm at least satisfied with the faces and the heads.

EternalSunset0

Here's something new. Akane from my story (she now appears as a major supportive role in Volume 2). Drew her in uniform as a take 2 to the one I previously posted.

I hope some improvements showed already with the posing :)

On second thought, I think I should have made the extended hand a bit thinner :blobrofl:

CamScanner 12-29-2020 17.27_6.jpg

Last edited:

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]
Here's something new. Akane from my story (she appears as a major supportive role in Volume 2).

I hope some improvements showed already with the posing :)

On second thought, I think I should have made the extended hand a bit thinner :blobrofl:

View attachment 5618

Nice, keep it up!! The hand is gorgeous...... and I'm not Yoshikage Kira

EternalSunset0

Guess it's time to update this a little bit with new faceset sketches for my characters (main trio and girl of the arc). This would be for volume 3, and my personal goal is to have different Glossary art per volume just like how LNs do it. With the colored pages in front with character introductions.

EternalSunset0

Updating this with another quick sketch set of face shots. Gotta start working on body art again, too. Soon ™

These can be found in Volume 3's Glossary. It's the idol girl-of-the-arc's manager and some guy who would be featured much more later on (he does have sporadic appearances in Volumes 2 and 3)

I hope I got the strict, sharp lady and mysterious, ambiguous bishounen feels right for them, respectively.

EternalSunset0

Some of the art above were actually meant for the Volume 4 poster of my story. :blob_evil_two:

I wanted to commemorate the halfway point of the story with a big new key visual just like actual anime... since it's the arc which will end with a tone shift for the story, starting the departure from the Girl/Villain-of-the-volume format and heading into a more serious one that starts uncovering the mysteries of the world.

Kinda like the point in JRPGs like Persona when the party finally gets filled (with an open slot for one/two last OP ally or something) and you start getting a more serious overarching plot.

My first time doing digital art with a mouse (I think it shows), and the lineart will still be reworked a bit. Regardless, how's the layout? Wanted to finalize the layout and stuff before I start getting to coloring.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
Looks nice, but why dont you try digital painting? you can just put the image and redraw it.

EternalSunset0

Looks nice, but why dont you try digital painting? you can just put the image and redraw it.
Digital painting? How is it different from other digital coloring styles? Sorry, I'm quite clueless about art myself since I just started trying to learn seriously last year.

Currently, I'm looking at Cel Shading, so I want to know how digital painting works. I probably need a tablet for that, right? Looks like I need to get one soon :sweat_smile:

I'm personally looking for something like these for my colors, but I'm open to learning new things too.

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
Some of the art above were actually meant for the Volume 4 poster of my story. :blob_evil_two:

I wanted to commemorate the halfway point of the story with a big new key visual just like actual anime... since it's the arc which will end with a tone shift for the story, starting the departure from the Girl/Villain-of-the-volume format and heading into a more serious one that starts uncovering the mysteries of the world.

Kinda like the point in JRPGs like Persona when the party finally gets filled (with an open slot for one/two last OP ally or something) and you start getting a more serious overarching plot.

My first time doing digital art with a mouse (I think it shows), and the lineart will still be reworked a bit. Regardless, how's the layout? Wanted to finalize the layout and stuff before I start getting to coloring.

*Looks at the guy on the bottom left*
Me: No- stop- plea- I don't want to remembe- BOOSTO! Help- BOOSTO!! Me- BOOSTO!!! PLEA- BOOOSSTTTOO!!!!