Editing Talentless Hero— Killing Darlings #1

Which characters should be disassembled?

• One or two of them (comment choice)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only Ruby Rose knockoff

• Only Yang Xiaolong knockoff

• Only Weiss Schnee knockoff

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Only Blake Belladonna knockoff

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

WaterFish

I am at a junction where I muse decide to destroy characters and feed the essence of their arcs into more important characters… or just leave them be because they will work out.

I had this thing planned out in ‘Talentless Hero: The Chosen Hero Is Disqualified’ where a knockoff Ruby Rose from RWBY would jump in and save them from a crisis. Thus showing how much they needed to learn in order to survive the outside world.

But because I had the originally going-to-die parent survive and gave him a bigger role in the story than I’d originally planned to, her character now overlaps with his too much. Making it maybe a case where I’d need to kill a few darling ideas to make a better story.

For context: ‘Talentless Hero’ is currently undergoing Volume 0 where plot is set up before the Academy style main story starts. The mentor character that was originally supposed to guide the main character about his powers was going to be a Ruby Rose knockoff.

She would have pupillary abilities with special eyes. A more Chinese aesthetic and background to stand apart from the rest. Training in the same but more complete martial art the MC is using.

Her role would be to basically protect him as he is still immature. Acting like a party member at times and person of authority he could rely on in others.

With his dad still alive such a person becomes obsolete. Plus, I’m planning to have his dad live permanently at this point because it ties into the story well.

He’s already become his son’s ’party member’ and I can think of many interesting things having a living parent can do in a Magic Academy setting. It’s now unnecessary for the girl to exist.

Still, I wanted a second opinion since this would change the trajectory of my story at crucial points.

Having a Chinese kung fu character using the main character’s fighting style in a completely different way could have been fun, but the spirit advisor he has within him having the same technique also adds to her lack of any use.

And since she’s gone, the other characters connected to her would have to go too. Which are the other three RWBY knockoffs I made into OCs.

Okay, I just realised OCs sounds better than calling them knockoffs. Let’s call them that from now on before either killing them for story device parts or leaving some of them alone.

I’ll leave this to your capable hands, random people on the internet!

DemonOppai

Yandere’s Lover Corpse Collector
Just listen to your heart author.

May the yandere gods bless and keep you

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
I am at a junction where I muse decide to destroy characters and feed the essence of their arcs into more important characters… or just leave them be because they will work out.

I had this thing planned out in ‘Talentless Hero: The Chosen Hero Is Disqualified’ where a knockoff Ruby Rose from RWBY would jump in and save them from a crisis. Thus showing how much they needed to learn in order to survive the outside world.

But because I had the originally going-to-die parent survive and gave him a bigger role in the story than I’d originally planned to, her character now overlaps with his too much. Making it maybe a case where I’d need to kill a few darling ideas to make a better story.

For context: ‘Talentless Hero’ is currently undergoing Volume 0 where plot is set up before the Academy style main story starts. The mentor character that was originally supposed to guide the main character about his powers was going to be a Ruby Rose knockoff.

She would have pupillary abilities with special eyes. A more Chinese aesthetic and background to stand apart from the rest. Training in the same but more complete martial art the MC is using.

Her role would be to basically protect him as he is still immature. Acting like a party member at times and person of authority he could rely on in others.

With his dad still alive such a person becomes obsolete. Plus, I’m planning to have his dad live permanently at this point because it ties into the story well.

He’s already become his son’s ’party member’ and I can think of many interesting things having a living parent can do in a Magic Academy setting. It’s now unnecessary for the girl to exist.

Still, I wanted a second opinion since this would change the trajectory of my story at crucial points.

Having a Chinese kung fu character using the main character’s fighting style in a completely different way could have been fun, but the spirit advisor he has within him having the same technique also adds to her lack of any use.

And since she’s gone, the other characters connected to her would have to go too. Which are the other three RWBY knockoffs I made into OCs.

Okay, I just realised OCs sounds better than calling them knockoffs. Let’s call them that from now on before either killing them for story device parts or leaving some of them alone.

I’ll leave this to your capable hands, random people on the internet!
And here, my mind just silently whispered, "Ship the teacher and dad together," for some unknown reason while reading that.
'-'
If missions are a thing in this story, maybe have the teacher go on a 'sabbatical' when she was actually ordered to do a secret mission? Thus taking her out of the picture for a bit? You could even have her take those OC's she's connected to with her, if you wanted to. It would give you the chance to see how the story would be without their presence, while still allowing you the chance to slip them back in if you decide they need to be in it.
'-'

I know nothing of your story, though, so my suggestion could be rubbish.
>w<

Good luck with your story!
I hope you come to conclusion over this quandary.
*huggles*

X

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Kill the Blake knockoff because of toxicity while also making her death mean a lot to the characters and readers.