That's it. I'm repurposing my story into a litRPG.

• Thread starter Deleted member 93348
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 93348

Here's the gist of my isekai litRPG idea: Sword Art Online meets Chrono Trigger-style dual/triple techs, meets Minecraft (but only for crafting legendary weapons and magic skills), meets Hunter x Hunter power restrictions, meets Princess Bride dialogue, meets Game of Thrones politics, meets Gintama comedy, meets Chainsaw Man character complexity, meets Terraria accessories, meets Chrono Cross existentialism.

I'm also gonna delete my account for personal reasons, but that's beside the point. Don't get me wrong. I was writing what I truly wanted to write, but the underlying problems remained:

1. My prose is stilted
2. The pacing of my writing was at a snail's pace
3. I keep relaying too much info in chapters that average at 1.5k words

So, I finally decided, "Fuck it. Imma repurpose my story, turn it into an isekai litRPG, and still write something that is very meta and comedic (and ultra-tear jerking/serious at the right moment)." Most LitRPGs always had that feel of being fast-paced with its story, and that's all I really need to learn.

Till next time, folks! 👋

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 54065

Here's the gist of my isekai litRPG idea: Sword Art Online meets Chrono Trigger-style dual/triple techs, meets Minecraft (but only for crafting legendary weapons and magic skills), meets Hunter x Hunter power restrictions, meets Princess Bride dialogue, meets Game of Thrones politics, meets Gintama comedy, meets Chainsaw Man complexity, meets Terraria accessories, meets Final Fantasy character writing.

I'm also gonna delete my account for personal reasons, but that's beside the point. Don't get me wrong. I was writing what I truly wanted to write, but the underlying problems remained:

1. My prose is stilted
2. The pacing of my writing was at a snail's pace
3. I keep relaying too much info in chapters that average at 1.5k words

So, I finally decided, "Fuck it. Imma repurpose my story, turn it into an isekai litRPG, and still write something that is very meta and comedic (and ultra-tear jerking/serious at the right moment)." Most LitRPGs always had that feel of being fast-paced with its story, and that's all I really need to learn.

Till next time, folks! 👋
Gonna restart? Well, see you again then!

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer

ACertainPassingUser

Please put some time to write draft and when writing about the "system" and how it's mechanism works.

It's better to treat "system" as "character" than plot device, as usually system always interfere and affecting the character decisions a LOT.

Being able to monitor your health and mana to the numerical value is already a cheat by itself, and getting rewards for seemingly no reason is also another cheat.

Multiple cheat equal Overpowered ability, even when it's still looks lame when compared to another story's cheat.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Bit of advice?

Go to ChatGPT. Put in one paragraph at a time and say, "rewrite paragraph." Then take the rewrite, put it next to the paragraph, and compare.

ChatGPT is woke as fuck. it's neutered and a piece of crap. Don't let it write the story, which it keeps trying to do. if you let it, eventually it will, without asking, START WRITING MORE OF THE STORY. Not a rephrasing, it continues the story. And the continuation SUCKS.

I have a scene with conflict. The MC is freaking out. What does it do? EVERY TIME it tries to add to the story, it de-escalates. "Oh, what was I thinking?" Then everyone becomes friendly and wants to sit down for gotdamn TEA. No. That actually happened one time. The MC has a sword at someone's throat, and in one paragraph, they are having TEA.

but that's why it's useful.

Conflict IS story. So, when the stupid AI tries to make everything friendly, I go, "WHAT IS THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN HERE?" Then I do THAT. The rephrasing is just basically the AI using a Thesaurus. So, I check the rewrite, pick a few good suggestions, splice that in, then basically feed it through Grammarly o get rid of the spelling errors and help with sentence structure.

if your writing is stilted, seeing the LAME woke version of your story is a good thing, plus the rephrasing helps to get you outside of your comfort zone, using phrases and words you wouldn't normally do.

Again, don't let it write the story. IT SUCKS ASS, but as a very lame editor? It's not bad.

ACertainPassingUser

Bit of advice?

Go to ChatGPT. Put in one paragraph at a time and say, "rewrite paragraph." Then take the rewrite, put it next to the paragraph, and compare.

ChatGPT is woke as fuck. it's neutered and a piece of crap. Don't let it write the story, which it keeps trying to do. if you let it, eventually it will, without asking, START WRITING MORE OF THE STORY. Not a rephrasing, it continues the story. And the continuation SUCKS.

I have a scene with conflict. The MC is freaking out. What does it do? EVERY TIME it tries to add to the story, it de-escalates. "Oh, what was I thinking?" Then everyone becomes friendly and wants to sit down for gotdamn TEA. No. That actually happened one time. The MC has a sword at someone's throat, and in one paragraph, they are having TEA.

but that's why it's useful.

Conflict IS story. So, when the stupid AI tries to make everything friendly, I go, "WHAT IS THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN HERE?" Then I do THAT. The rephrasing is just basically the AI using a Thesaurus. So, I check the rewrite, pick a few good suggestions, splice that in, then basically feed it through Grammarly o get rid of the spelling errors and help with sentence structure.

if your writing is stilted, seeing the LAME woke version of your story is a good thing, plus the rephrasing helps to get you outside of your comfort zone, using phrases and words you wouldn't normally do.

Again, don't let it write the story. IT SUCKS ASS, but as a very lame editor? It's not bad.
Paying editors and getting into inner circle of accomplished writer seems easier, less complicated, and more practical, if not for the amount of time and money need to be spent.

Jemini

Here's the gist of my isekai litRPG idea: Sword Art Online meets Chrono Trigger-style dual/triple techs, meets Minecraft (but only for crafting legendary weapons and magic skills), meets Hunter x Hunter power restrictions, meets Princess Bride dialogue, meets Game of Thrones politics, meets Gintama comedy, meets Chainsaw Man character complexity, meets Terraria accessories, meets Chrono Cross existentialism.

Err... first impression upon reading this, you sound like your story is completely lacking in focus and you have no idea what you want to actually write. You're just throwing out a bunch of things your story is "like."

I gotta say, it really does not make me want to read your story. Try to focus in more on what it is that makes your story unique, not the things that it does like a bunch of other popular series that sound like names you just pulled out of a hat hap-hazardly.

In my case, I wrote an Isekai starting from the idea of "what if it's the MC who has the world-crossing power, and it's a goddess who came to the MC for help in getting to another world and the MC just wound up getting pulled along for the ride?" Then, I tossed in some extremely authentic elven lore from the original Germanic era in which the elves were nasty and kidnapped children, and then made Tiamat's children from Babylonian lore the creator gods of this world (and they hate humans.)

There we go, I still didn't quite say what the plot was all about, but it was a lot more focused talking about the inspirations and sourcing instead of just listing off a whole bunch of things my story is like while referencing other media.

So, try explaining what you're writing without referencing anything to do with other media. If you can't do that, your story lacks identity and you need to work on that more.

D

Deleted member 93348

Err... first impression upon reading this, you sound like your story is completely lacking in focus and you have no idea what you want to actually write. You're just throwing out a bunch of things your story is "like."

I gotta say, it really does not make me want to read your story. Try to focus in more on what it is that makes your story unique, not the things that it does like a bunch of other popular series that sound like names you just pulled out of a hat hap-hazardly.

In my case, I wrote an Isekai starting from the idea of "what if it's the MC who has the world-crossing power, and it's a goddess who came to the MC for help in getting to another world and the MC just wound up getting pulled along for the ride?" Then, I tossed in some extremely authentic elven lore from the original Germanic era in which the elves were nasty and kidnapped children, and then made Tiamat's children from Babylonian lore the creator gods of this world (and they hate humans.)

There we go, I still didn't quite say what the plot was all about, but it was a lot more focused talking about the inspirations and sourcing instead of just listing off a whole bunch of things my story is like while referencing other media.

So, try explaining what you're writing without referencing anything to do with other media. If you can't do that, your story lacks identity and you need to work on that more.
Agreed. Though, I should've been more specific that I'm simply inspired by these media rather than trying to copy what they did right. And no, I have no intention of imitating other people's hard work. It's more like a blueprint of how my story would feel like as a first impression. I do have a unique story and fleshed-out characters in mind, so I hope this helps.

Jemini

Agreed. Though, I should've been more specific that I'm simply inspired by these media rather than trying to copy what they did right. And no, I have no intention of imitating other people's hard work. It's more like a blueprint of how my story would feel like as a first impression. I do have a unique story and fleshed-out characters in mind, so I hope this helps.

Still not really seeing anything to grasp onto, or to play out your reasoning for wanting to convert it into a liteRPG. What aspect of the story specifically makes you think this is the right approach and that it would be better for your story and world-building?

D

Deleted member 93348

Still not really seeing anything to grasp onto, or to play out your reasoning for wanting to convert it into a liteRPG. What aspect of the story specifically makes you think this is the right approach and that it would be better for your story and world-building?
Sorry for replying late. Dinner was ready.

Simple: the idea of fate. I realized I handled the concept very similarly to Chrono Cross without knowing, and it's mostly because I haven't played it in years.

I thought to myself, "Hey! Why not I write my story with RPG mechanics but keep the real-life aspects of a fantasy world?" That's how I feel about a lot of RPGs. They may be video games, but the characters and their choices can be incredibly human at times.

Also, I've always wanted to write a litRPG inspired by Minecraft and Terraria, and since I've already written Sword Art Online expys, repurposing my story into a litRPG was more than fitting.

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula

Simple: the idea of fate. I realized I handled the concept very similarly to Chrono Cross without knowing, and it's mostly because I haven't played it in years.

I thought to myself, "Hey! Why not I write my story with RPG mechanics but keep the real-life aspects of a fantasy world?" That's how I feel about a lot of RPGs. They may be video games, but the characters and their choices can be incredibly human at times.

Also, I've always wanted to write a litRPG inspired by Minecraft and Terraria, and since I've already written Sword Art Online expys, repurposing my story into a litRPG was more than fitting.
I think... perhaps... you need to talk about what your "one line" is or the hook.
E.g (I am just vaguely making this up from memory)
Gintama: MC tries to forget his past, but past catches up with him.

SAO: mc traped virtual world, negotiate the essentials of the human condition.

That sort of thing... you have listed what you want in your story, but you have not said what direction or how you will get there.

Or basically

"what is the story?"

And that correlates to the question of pacing.

D

Deleted member 93348

I think... perhaps... you need to talk about what your "one line" is or the hook.
E.g (I am just vaguely making this up from memory)
Gintama: MC tries to forget his past, but past catches up with him.

SAO: mc traped virtual world, negotiate the essentials of the human condition.

That sort of thing... you have listed what you want in your story, but you have not said what direction or how you will get there.

Or basically

"what is the story?"

And that correlates to the question of pacing.
My apologies.

My new story idea: a fantasy world with RPG and sandbox crafting mechanics, MC (being the unbeatable "Peerless Champion") goes on a "forbidden quest" to kill every god residing in their world, but he later finds out that fate itself can never be defeated (and will cause major consequences at worst)

Again, the main themes are heavily inspired by Chrono Cross. It's about humanity and their relationship with the divine, the inevitably of certain events, and an omnipotent force in their reality that even the gods must obey. And since it's also inspired by Chainsaw Man, the characters are gonna be hella complex and grey with most of their choices.

Jemini

My apologies.

My new story idea: a fantasy world with RPG and sandbox crafting mechanics, MC (being the unbeatable "Peerless Champion") goes on a "forbidden quest" to kill every god residing in their world, but he later finds out that fate itself can never be defeated (and will cause major consequences at worst)

Again, the main themes are heavily inspired by Chrono Cross. It's about humanity and their relationship with the divine, the inevitably of certain events, and an omnipotent force in their reality that even the gods must obey. And since it's also inspired by Chainsaw Man, the characters are gonna be hella complex and grey with most of their choices.

Yeah, I'd never read a story like that. It sounds like complete trash the way you just described it. A guy just wants to go kill every god because... what? He just wants to prove he's powerful? Yeah, that's trash.

If you want that plot, the MC needs a relatable motive to go on this quest to kill every god that's not "just to prove he's powerful." Or, if it is just to prove he's powerful, you need some sort of way to justify why that's interesting to the reader.

Also...

My apologies.

Are we talking to Chat GPT right now? Because these responses are exactly the way Chat GPT and other predictive text programs talk when you indicate the way they responded did not measure up to what you stated in your original question and give them further clarification.