The absolute state of Scribble Hub

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
more to check in with other users about if they feel like the site was changing to something better or worse.

Does anyone know if the japanese novel platform Shōsetsuka ni Narō is any different? It could be a glimpse of the future of SH.

I'd expect art to be a number game. The only future I can see is the evergrowing rift between the flood of unfinished trashy attempts in "latest updates" and the few godly pieces of entertainment.

Not only because we need as many authors to try their hand to produce a gem, but we need these same authors to grind their skills up.

I don't see how a top-down policy could change this for the better.

"latest updates" is the beacon of hope for every smol authors. If you hide it and only show off the "featured" or "trending" works, authors will get sad.

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
I think some of us and the OP misunderstood something.

First of all, the cliches mentioned by the op are Not genres. They’re tropes. It’s these tropes that make people feel repetitive.

Fantasy, GL, and cultivation thing aren’t the problem. The problem is people constructed the scenarios almost the same in a way.

We can’t change that. That’s part of the norm already.

Most of the books and tips about writing I found around online talked about writing as a business and stories as products to be delivered.

Also you must excuse them. Garnering attention and/or money to paypal and patreon acc are what most people want to do. Diversity in story doesn’t fall from the sky. That thing requires heavy investment. Investment that when failed couldn’t be refunded. Creating a world for the sake of diversity is as always expensive for people’s brain and time.

What you can do is to search and spread words for the story you like (the story, not the author).

longer

Balls
The main thing that set me off enough to make this forum was probably seeing enough "reviews" to make me double check if I was actually on SH instead of an echo chamber.
This is the real problem. Reviews here can be wildly biased, both negatively and positively though positive ones are more prevalent.

At this point, I mentally block all reviews that are overly positive or negative without providing precise reasons for their opinion. And most of the times a precise reason isn't that convincing. Positives will be along the lines of "it doesn't do this trope so it's so unique" while negatives tend to be the spooky three letters that start with "N."

I don't think there is a lack of good stories, but I do believe that reviews here can inflate or deflate stories to unreasonable degrees.

If you're writing a non-fantasy novel, there is no point in publishing on SH. it's the wrong ecosystem. GB, GL is still as famous as ever but I couldn't care less tbh. I just filter out the tags (BL included). I think there's a positive influx in novel quality lately as a lot of authors branched out from RR into SH. though personally, I don't look for "quality" on either sites. I've been pleasantly surprised before but mostly I'm just looking for an interesting concept/something to kill the time.
the rest of what you mentioned is given since this is a writing site for amateurs. mistakes, unreliable schedules, little to no polishing are to be expected.

I also think there's less overall smut or there's more than just smut now. that could just be me though.
This is the real problem. Reviews here can be wildly biased, both negatively and positively though positive ones are more prevalent.

At this point, I mentally block all reviews that are overly positive or negative without providing precise reasons for their opinion. And most of the times a precise reason isn't that convincing. Positives will be along the lines of "it doesn't do this trope so it's so unique" while negatives tend to be the spooky three letters that start with "N."

I don't think there is a lack of good stories, but I do believe that reviews here can inflate or deflate stories to unreasonable degrees.
reviews seem fine to me. the ones with decent likes (in relation to novel size) are often correct.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Scribblehub never had much diversity, as compared to rr, wattpad or even webnovel.
The average age here, both author and reader, is some place below 18, and the novels reflect that
Really? Ooo... Wow. I'm a goddamn fossil at 49, aren't I?
I think the problem isn't SH is becoming less diverse, as society as a whole is becoming less diverse.

I posted up on a forum (which I will not name as they do not deserve one MORE CLICK) that claimed to be about writing. They seemed like a fairly hardcore group that was into writing and it seemed like just the place to post up my Flip The Script and ask for feedback. Where upon I was declared a Mysogynist for daring to write a book which drew attention to how men and women interact as well as called racist for setting it in Japan when I am not japanese. I would like to point out I didn't even provide a link. I just asked if anyone would be willing to help me with the IDEA. So, without reading my story AT ALL, I was called a woman hating racist, for daring to bring up THE CONCEPT of women and men having flipped sexual morality.

Let that sink in.

Society as a whole has, while claiming to be more tolerant and diverse, become intolerant and LESS diverse. At this point I have come to the conclusion anyone who claims to be into diversity and inclusion is a racist, sexist bigot. I don't even listen to them anymore. I should, but I'm done having arguments with intolerant bigots who judge others based on the color of their skin, their sexuality, or what gender they happen to be.

Over all, I would say Scribble Hub has managed to avoid the scourge that is the woke. The people here seem an ACTUAL open minded group who is ACTUALLY accepting and ACTUALLY doesn't care about someone's race, gender or sexuality. If the stories seem of lower quality or of limited diversity, I suspect that is merely because the lunatic woke bigots out there are so loud and violent that it is easier to just ignore them and keep your head down than deal with these black hearted monsters.

And yes, I can tell you stories of these bullies driving people to suicide, ruining people's lives, destroying people's happiness with their woke insanity. I miss the days of actual tolerance and freedom of expression, and not... whatever the fuck is going on these days.

I suspect that is what you are noticing. A general, overall contraction of culture across all boundaries of society, not just Scribble Hub.

If you want to improve the place, don't let these assholes in. Don't listen to what someone says, listen to what they do. You can be tolerant, up to the point where you are tolerating something that is destructive. If someone is filled with pain and only wants to hurt others, you should not tolerate that behavior. I tolerate peaceful coexistence.

You can think and feel whatever you want, until you start to FORCE IT UPON ANOTHER.

Last edited:

Temple

It's the readers that control the site, the authors just follow. Complaints on why authors just follow the trend or do this or that should be redirected to the readers because authors who don't follow what readers want get buried. Why do stories look the same? Why is RR like that? Why is Wattpad like that? Because of readers. (I can't add Webnovel.com there because the company has a huge part in why their site is like that and not just the readers.)

Bottomline, it's really not the authors' fault what becomes of the stories on the site because they (most of them) just follow what the readers want to survive. My story is not mainstream, and it's seriously a struggle. Took me like a year to get the ball rolling and have exponential growth. Most authors won't last stick that long with a non-mainstream story that doesn't receive attention.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Really? Ooo... Wow. I'm a goddamn fossil at 49, aren't I?
I think the problem isn't SH is becoming less diverse, as society as a whole is becoming less diverse.

I posted up on a forum (which I will not name as they do not deserve one MORE CLICK) that claimed to be about writing. They seemed like a fairly hardcore group that was into writing and it seemed like just the place to post up my Flip The Script and ask for feedback. Where upon I was declared a Mysogynist for daring to write a book which drew attention to how men and women interact as well as called racist for setting it in Japan when I am not japanese. I would like to point out I didn't even provide a link. I just asked if anyone would be willing to help me with the IDEA. So, without reading my story AT ALL, I was called a woman hating racist, for daring to bring up THE CONCEPT of women and men having flipped sexual morality.

Let that sink in.

Society as a whole has, while claiming to be more tolerant and diverse, become intolerant and LESS diverse. At this point I have come to the conclusion anyone who claims to be into diversity and inclusion is a racist, sexist bigot. I don't even listen to them anymore. I should, but I'm done having arguments with intolerant bigots who judge others based on the color of their skin, their sexuality, or what gender they happen to be.

Over all, I would say Scribble Hub has managed to avoid the scourge that is the woke. The people here seem an ACTUAL open minded group who is ACTUALLY accepting and ACTUALLY doesn't care about someone's race, gender or sexuality. If the stories seem of lower quality or of limited diversity, I suspect that is merely because the lunatic woke bigots out there are so loud and violent that it is easier to just ignore them and keep your head down than deal with these black hearted monsters.

And yes, I can tell you stories of these bullies driving people to suicide, ruining people's lives, destroying people's happiness with their woke insanity. I miss the days of actual tolerance and freedom of expression, and not... whatever the fuck is going on these days.

I suspect that is what you are noticing. A general, overall contraction of culture across all boundaries of society, not just Scribble Hub.

If you want to improve the place, don't let these assholes in. Don't listen to what someone says, listen to what they do. You can be tolerant, up to the point where you are tolerating something that is destructive. If someone is filled with pain and only wants to hurt others, you should not tolerate that behavior. I tolerate peaceful coexistence.

You can think and feel whatever you want, until you start to FORCE IT UPON ANOTHER.

damn sounds like a really shitty experience. which forums was that?

wait, do I even want to know that?
there are some people on rr who belong to the same crowd. like saying you can't write a disabled person unless you are disabled.

fortunately, same people keep away from sh because they are afraid of lolis and chads who write them

TheEldritchGod

damn sounds like a really shitty experience. which forums was that?

wait, do I even want to know that?
there are some people on rr who belong to the same crowd. like saying you can't write a disabled person unless you are disabled.

fortunately, same people keep away from sh because they are afraid of lolis and chads who write them

I really don't want to send anyone there, but Literotica. I figured a good place to get a perspective on male/female relationships. BOY was I wrong.

Never been to RR.

I happen to like it here. Good vibe. Sane people. Able to accept criticism for what it is, an attempt to point out your flaws so you can improve, not an attempt to tear someone down. Being a writer is easy. Being a GOOD writer is pain. If you aren't suffering, you aren't writing. If you cannot accept feedback that sucks, you cannot improve. There is no easy, quick route to being a good writer except writing and writing and writing, letting someone read it, then taking your lumps.

But also knowing that sometimes people are wrong.

It is the INTENT behind criticism that is important. These days? It is all too easy to find a critic, but most of them just want to hurt you. They don't care about the craft, they care about tearing the AUTHOR down. Those people can go fuck themselves.

I will always be honest and I will tear into your story with everything I got, but I will never attack the author. I don't know you, nor am I in a place to judge you. If someone is judging YOU, then they are full of malice and should not be listened to. A good critic wants to build you up. A bad one wants to see you suffer.

I hope everyone becomes the writer they dream of being, just understand it is a long, slow, and painful process with no short cuts, and it is very rare anyone who is a good writer has "natural talent". I have yet to ever meet such a person.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
It's the readers that control the site, the authors just follow. Complaints on why authors just follow the trend or do this or that should be redirected to the readers because authors who don't follow what readers want get buried. Why do stories look the same? Why is RR like that? Why is Wattpad like that? Because of readers. (I can't add Webnovel.com there because the company has a huge part in why their site is like that and not just the readers.)

Bottomline, it's really not the authors' fault what becomes of the stories on the site because they (most of them) just follow what the readers want to survive. My story is not mainstream, and it's seriously a struggle. Took me like a year to get the ball rolling and have exponential growth. Most authors won't last stick that long with a non-mainstream story that doesn't receive attention.
The writers are just as important in my opinion, after all without them, would there really be a scribblehub?

Temple

The writers are just as important in my opinion, after all without them, would there really be a scribblehub?
I was saying the writers will just bend to the will of the readers. If the SH readers want ancient samurai x alien tentacle political space opera, writers will follow that if that's the demand. That's how web novel sites go. Readers dictate with their views/favorites/ratings what works will be on a site. Let's take Inkitt. Inkitt is about the same age as RoyalRoad. A long long time ago, RR people also tried posting at Inkitt. However, Inkitt users didn't like those stories (mostly female users), gravitating more toward Wattpad type of content. And now, Inkitt is like a mini Wattpad side.

That's not to say writers can push back and write something that's not mainstream for the site. I already said I did that. And it's a struggle on the way up because the site as a whole will also push back hard (be it lack of views or literally negatively reacting), and most writers going for more "original" stories will just be discouraged, their stories dying because readers won't support non-mainstream. So, it's still on the readers.

My story got its head up above the water so to speak in RR and SH after about a year of writing. I only had a dramatic increase in readers during volume 4. Yeah, volume 4. Most writers can't last that long with no support from readers or actual abuse from readers.

Lack of originality in a site is dictated by readers. There are writers on RR/SH/Wattpad etc. that try to write original stories but the site readers will ignore them. The homogeneity of stories on a site is dictated by readers.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
I was saying the writers will just bend to the will of the readers. If the SH readers want ancient samurai x alien tentacle political space opera, writers will follow that if that's the demand. That's how web novel sites go. Readers dictate with their views/favorites/ratings what works will be on a site. Let's take Inkitt. Inkitt is about the same age as RoyalRoad. A long long time ago, RR people also tried posting at Inkitt. However, Inkitt users didn't like those stories (mostly female users), gravitating more toward Wattpad type of content. And now, Inkitt is like a mini Wattpad side.

That's not to say writers can push back and write something that's not mainstream for the site. I already said I did that. And it's a struggle on the way up because the site as a whole will also push back hard (be it lack of views or literally negatively reacting), and most writers going for more "original" stories will just be discouraged, their stories dying because readers won't support non-mainstream. So, it's still on the readers.

My story got its head up above the water so to speak in RR and SH after about a year of writing. I only had a dramatic increase in readers during volume 4. Yeah, volume 4. Most writers can't last that long with no support from readers or actual abuse from readers.

Lack of originality in a site is dictated by readers. There are writers on RR/SH/Wattpad etc. that try to write original stories but the site readers will ignore them. The homogeneity of stories on a site is dictated by readers.
Scribblehub seem geared towards aspiring writers, from my experience, if you ask someone here for help, you're most likely to get it.
The feedback section here is more active than the one on royalroad, strangers willingly help other strangers, assisting while trying their best to not demoralize.
I won't call this site perfect, but if someone asked me for a site to share their story, I'd alway recommend this one first.

TheEldritchGod

I was saying the writers will just bend to the will of the readers. If the SH readers want ancient samurai x alien tentacle political space opera, writers will follow that if that's the demand. That's how web novel sites go. Readers dictate with their views/favorites/ratings what works will be on a site.

Sort of...

Supply and demand is a good adage, but there is also individual will and freedom of expression. A person's beliefs affects what they read, but they also believe in others. The power of a personal recommendation from a trusted source will influence a person. If I write a good story, then say, "Hey, this is a great story!" it might get read more.

If I go, "This is a story I wrote a long time ago. I'm uploading it as filler. Check it out if you are bored." Even if it is a story you might like, you may never see it, because even I, the author, am not selling it.

Readers as a group push the flow of the over all market, but individuals lead groups.

The common misconception is that humans are like sheep. We aren't. We are like chameleons. This is a survival strategy. If you have four paths and 3 of the 4 lead to death, and you have 100 people, do you send 25 people down each path? Or do you send 1 guy down each path, then follow the one that comes back alive? One method results in 75 dead people. One results in only 3.

Society is like that. 99% of people hang back and wait. They see what everyone around them is doing, then they do that. It's the safe bet. 1% of the population takes chances. 99% of those fail, crash, and burn, but the 1% of 1% that succeed benefit from being the very first to do the NEXT NEW THING. They become the "thought leader" or the "Genius" or the head of microsoft. Sometimes it's blind luck, or fate, or actual talent, but usually it is a combination of the three.

There's also the Dunbar empathy limit to take into consideration. The exact limit is thought to be between 140 to 280 or maybe 300 or maybe nothing. I think it varies for each person. I think some people can handle hundreds and others maybe a dozen.

To explain, the dunbar empathy limit is the number of people you can give a shit about.

How many people do you feel comfortable striking up a casual conversation with? How many names do you know of people? How many people are you willing to say, "Hi dave" as you pass them? I'm not talking about strong friend, or lover, or partner, or ever co-worker. Just... someone you would bother to give a shit about.

There is a limit to how many people you can do that with.

So people have layers. Family, close friends, co-workers, distant friends, passing acquaintances, everyone else. There is a point where you cannot give a shit. This is your Empathy Limit.

One death is a tragedy. One million a statistic.

The people in your empathy bubble influence you. One person you know saying, "Wow, I love Morbius! You got to see this movie!" can change your plans for the weekend. However, ME saying that might have no affect on you. This is how people make choices about what they prefer. Humans are social creatures. We NEED other people. If all my friends LOVE Elden Ring and scream about how much they love to play it, guess what? I'm gonna go get it to play with them, even if I hate FPS. If it is my BEST friend, I am REALLY likely to go buy the game.

Supply and demand DOES influence what people write, but this isn't like FOOD or SHELTER. This is a WANT not a NEED. NEED follows Supply and Demand much closer than WANT.

Anyone remember Tickle-Me Elmo? How about the Furby? Do you know there was a time people LITERALLY got killed for wearing the wrong style sneakers in the wrong neighborhood, because the sneakers had little flashing lights on them?

These trends came out of nowhere, exploded, then died just as fast. If we could predict these memetic surges, we'd rule the world, but we can't. There is no conspiracy. There is no cabal controlling trends. There is just the ebb and flow of social interactions. The book you write today might never be noticed, or in 100 years be dragged out of a database and become a cult classic.

We will never know who is the next H.P. Lovecraft.

Did he bow to the trends of his time? Was he anything special? He was a writer who wrote and kept writing and never stopped. Self-taught, or maybe self-learned, he simply got good at it by not giving up. Was he driven by madness, or fear, or desire for recognition? We can only guess, but we do know he was DRIVEN.

My advice? Write what you love or write what sells?

Do both.

Writing what you love teaches you to write. YOU NEED TO KEEP WRITING TO BE A GOOD WRITER. If you don't, if you stop, you will never improve. Only time and time and time and time will teach you how to improve and that only happens from WRITING. If you hate writing, you will quit. Writing something YOU LOVE, that nobody else will, well, it isn't wasted. You needed to write anyways. If you must write something only you love to find a reason to write, then DO IT.

But that will keep you in your comfort zone.

A GOOD writer SUFFERS. This means you have to write things you HATE. You have to get outside what you love and try things you will fail at. You have to take risks and fall flat on your face. What better way to do that than to sell out?

Selling out. What a silly phrase.

Getting paid to learn how to write differently and improve your craft? How is that a loss? Go on Fiver. Sell your service to someone who needs something written 5000 words for 5 dollars. Pimp yourself. WORK YOUR ASS OFF TO DO THE BEST YOU CAN FOR THAT 5 BUCKS.

You aren't doing it for money. You are doing it to LEARN. You have to step outside your comfort zone and do something impossible. You have to try and fail and try and fail and then... one day... It all clicks.

One day you learn and you find yourself writing something you like AND it is something people will want to read.

How? Because the problem isn't what you say, it's what people HEAR. The way to understand that is repetition. It's a numbers game. It has always been a numbers game. 50% of what you write is crap. 20% is Good. 1% is excellent. You want an excellent book? You need to write 50 awful ones, 30 crappy ones, 20 okay ones, and then you will get your one GOOD book.

Do that 100 times, and you will crank out excellent books without even trying. Of course... that takes about 9,999 books before that truly amazing book, but it's a numbers thing. You might write it your first try. You might write it on your 50th. You might need to write 500 books to get one good one.

But once it works, once it clicks that first time, THEN... the second time... not so hard. Then the third, then the fourth... and it snowballs. It accumulates. Then...

You need to step outside your comfort zone again. Then you need to SUFFER again. Then you need to take your heart out of your chest, show it to the world, and watch as the world takes your heart, stomps it into the dirt, pisses gasoline on it, and sets it on fire, only to then scoop up the ashes, feed it to a pig, wait until it shits out your ashes, then makes you eat a ash-shit sandwich.

And the world will do that. It will. Sooner or later, it will.

And you deal with it. And that which does not kill you and you recover from makes you stronger. The recovery part is important.

Which returns us to writing what YOU LOVE TO WRITE.

Is it worth it?

Well, I'm sitting here, eating a plate of bacon and ribs because I got bored. I have a job that I work at where I literally wipe people's asses. They cannot wipe their own ass, someone has to wipe that ass, I am that man who wipes that ass.

And my job involves a lot of down time. During that time, I write. I write what I want. I want what I hate. I write just to push myself. I don't have a dream. I have a way to stop going insane. If you include my work on Statistical analysis of d20 3.0/3.5 and my ghost writing, I've written hundreds of books. Some only 80 pages, some over 5000.

I'm just about getting to... Okay. Not good. Just... okay. 14 years of writing to pass the night and I'm just... okay.

Will I influence what people want to read? Unlikely. But predicting what people will like is a difficult thing. I'll write things people like, I'll also write things they don't. I'll slowly improve. I'll change some minds, and some minds will change me. Give and take. Push and pull. Is this skill worth the wasted time? What could I have had instead? Who knows. It's the path I took and I'm happy with it.

This golden apple is for the prettiest one.
Is it yours?

CL

I am beginning to believe ScribbleHub requires a background log or some kind of timeline of events. It'd be for those here who keep questioning why there are these repeating genres and themes. If you don't know why there's this prolific publishing of similar titles, then you're likely not from around here. If they understood that Novel Updates came before ScribbleHub, and both are owned by Tony, then they might get an idea why the LitRPG is a big hit here (the inspired readers aspired towards authorship). If they understood what was the deal with this migration of trans authors, they might grasp why GB/TG stories are popular too (the fans followed the authors). :blob_popcorn:

Those are the two major points I have understood. I'm sure there are other points in our history here that has made ScribbleHub the way it is today. I don't want to hear that this place has a problem because of what it features. It isn't a problem. If you have a problem with what it features, then it's you who has a problem. But, please, let me know why I'm wrong (if I am). :blob_hide:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I really don't want to send anyone there, but Literotica. I figured a good place to get a perspective on male/female relationships. BOY was I wrong.

Never been to RR.

I happen to like it here. Good vibe. Sane people. Able to accept criticism for what it is, an attempt to point out your flaws so you can improve, not an attempt to tear someone down. Being a writer is easy. Being a GOOD writer is pain. If you aren't suffering, you aren't writing. If you cannot accept feedback that sucks, you cannot improve. There is no easy, quick route to being a good writer except writing and writing and writing, letting someone read it, then taking your lumps.

But also knowing that sometimes people are wrong.

It is the INTENT behind criticism that is important. These days? It is all too easy to find a critic, but most of them just want to hurt you. They don't care about the craft, they care about tearing the AUTHOR down. Those people can go fuck themselves.

I will always be honest and I will tear into your story with everything I got, but I will never attack the author. I don't know you, nor am I in a place to judge you. If someone is judging YOU, then they are full of malice and should not be listened to. A good critic wants to build you up. A bad one wants to see you suffer.

I hope everyone becomes the writer they dream of being, just understand it is a long, slow, and painful process with no short cuts, and it is very rare anyone who is a good writer has "natural talent". I have yet to ever meet such a person.
Ah, that place. Ai-chan wrote there like over 10 years ago. Ai-chan was accused of being a lunatic bigot who should be arrested, executed and burned in Hell. One comment even said he/she pray to God that Ai-chan's mother and sisters are raped and killed for Ai-chan's sins. Ai-chan deleted the whole story that Ai-chan posted there and did not write a single story for the next few years.

CL

Ah, that place. Ai-chan wrote there like over 10 years ago. Ai-chan was accused of being a lunatic bigot who should be arrested, executed and burned in Hell. One comment even said he/she pray to God that Ai-chan's mother and sisters are raped and killed for Ai-chan's sins. Ai-chan deleted the whole story that Ai-chan posted there and did not write a single story for the next few years.
What in the world did you write? :blob_blank:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
What in the world did you write? :blob_blank:
Ai-chan doesn't exactly remember. It had rape, blasphemy, death cult and fantasy creatures. Ai-chan was so angry, Ai-chan deleted every instance of the story from Ai-chan's computer.

TheEldritchGod

Yup. Sounds like Literotica.

And I've said elsewhere, sometimes people write something that... does not sit well with me. I will inform you of such, but I will never ask you not write it. I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death your right to say it. For I am not just fighting for your right to say horrible things, but for my right to say horrible things as well.

For no one knows what will be defined as 'horrible' come the rising sun.

Just as Ai-chan has said that writing is a hard business, and I am pretty sure every author has to go through that phase where he finds himself lost in ideas of what to write.

I have been writing in my free time so I know how hard it is, I can most write one chapter only cause it's needs editing which I do myself.

You can't say what others write isn't worth it, and. if you don't like then just skip it.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
lets just be real for a second here okay.

do you guys remember where do you even know this site from?
most people, including me. knowing SH from novelupdates site. to which i still frequent.

and as you can see, the popular of recent translated novel at NU are mostly either xianxia or isekai genre (at least that's what i see from the monthly rating)

so ofc the sister site that directing from it would having a similar audience.

it's like you're visiting a cafe around a school district and then you complaining about why the hell this cafe decorated in a way as if to attract highschooler. and then you're further commenting that you saw lots of highschooler around the cafe and then implying that what highschool girls do nowadays instead of studying is just hanging around in a cafe.

like, really?