The absolute state of Scribble Hub

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Fair enough. Due to their size, RR and webnovel probably have a lot more unique stories outside of the usual tropes, but they are also burried under even more copies of the top stories. So given my limited time, I probably never dug deep enough to find those gems.
So only top-list fodder for me... :ROFLMAO:

On rr, I find new stories by looking at recently updated and self promotion threads on forum.

Over the course of 7 or 8 months my "read later" list on rr grew to about 100 titles of unique stuff, which makes me quite proud.
Shame most of these are never finished.

On webnovel...only through user recommendation! They introduced a system a few months ago which makes it impossible to see uncontracted works on the front page. And stay away from contracted, because they are quantity over quality shit.

Also, both on scribblehub and on rr you can use the "others liked/similar to this" feature to find pretty cool titles. Ever since rr introduced that, it actually became my main source of finding new but unpopular titles.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
People are writing towards a target audience.
I understand why people write toward a specific audience because a lot of people want their story to be popular and hell, I've done it myself. It's a great way to gain a following quickly. However, I just want to write and for people who like what I'm writing to read it. I don't have a specific target audience most of the time because I just want to write. If it does well then that's great but I ain't gonna complain if something doesn't do well.

LostLibrarian

Do the same for genres you dislike and tags you dislike.
And SH also gives one the option to completely remove throw those genres out of the last releases.

However, I just want to write
Which is great if you do it as a hobby. But a lot of writers dream of (a bit of) success. And for that, it becomes a really hard dance between "writing what you like" and "writing what might sell".

Also, both on scribblehub and on rr you can use the "others liked/similar to this" feature to find pretty cool titles. Ever since rr introduced that, it actually became my main source of finding new but unpopular titles.
Oh yeah, that actually got me some readers on my story before it died.
I really liked to click through that one, even if it was just for new ideas =)

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
It's also just time. Successful webnovels have a high release rate. Good luck going back all the time while still pushing out all those chapters at the same time...
True but for the rare few who write for self-satisfaction, the numbers aren't vital, take me for example, i write for a hobby, yes i share my work but I always find myself reading from the beginning on occasion, it's not that fun when you recognize your own mistakes.
For those like me, editing is a constant, not every day but everytime we find mistakes when reading from the start.
Also if you're maintaining a high release rate, don't forget to note down the important bits of each chapter, you wouldn't want to litter your story with potholes plot-holes.
Wait, do that even if you're not maintaining a high release rate, believe me, its helpful.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Which is great if you do it as a hobby. But a lot of writers dream of (a bit of) success. And for that, it becomes a really hard dance between "writing what you like" and "writing what might sell".
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm just doing this as a hobby because I mainly don't want to stress over it or become depressed if my story is disliked.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Instead complaining and pointing out something that is obvious and doing nothing about it, how about being the force that changes the status quo.

Write a different kind of story, or start a competition. Who knows people might see what you write and want to see more of it, or even better want to write because of you and your story.

ForestDweller

Yeah, that's definitely me. Editing is a huge part of writing. I keep telling myself I will go back and edit chapters, but I'm not sure I will until the story is done. It's an ongoing experiment of a story and due to the scope of the project, I'm not sure how I want to edit it.

I'm not sure what the reasons are for other writers, but considering the average age of writers, I'm guessing they don't know what to edit besides grammar.

I just can't be arsed to do it. It's more exciting to write new chapters than editing old ones.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
If you see a synopsis you dislike and doesn't hook you... Just skip it.

Do the same for genres you dislike and tags you dislike.

There, you found the good stories that appeal to you now. Start reading them.
Not my experience, I've read stories with terrible synopses, that were absolute gems, guess the phrase 'Don't judge a book by its cover.' has its merits.

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Not my experience, I've read stories with terrible synopses, that were absolute gems, guest the phrase 'Don't judge a book by its cover.' has its merits.
Sometimes it happens, but usually speaking, if a writer can't make a good synopsis, then they also can't make a good story.

It varies, of course. Especially because it's pretty hard to make a good synopsis, but... Hey, if you were willing to try a novel with a bad synopsis, all the power to you~

I barely read anything these days, so I don't bother with trying stuff that can't hook me from the getgo though.

PancakesWitch

They still have some level of quality and fun in them that makes them stand out, after all there are many that use the same tags but are compeltely ignored and nobody reads them, not only you must use popular tags, you have to write entertainig stories. You're making it seem as if these writers are getting attention without putting the same effort as you or other authors you think deserve more. It is merely a Skill Issue if other novels aren't doing well. I hate how salty writers blame the audiene when it is their fault their novels aren't read by anybody, just write a fun story

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
They still have some level of quality and fun in them that makes them stand out, after all there are many that use the same tags but are compeltely ignored and nobody reads them, not only you must use popular tags, you have to write entertainig stories. You're making it seem as if these writers are getting attention without putting the same effort as you or other authors you think deserve more. It is merely a Skill Issue if other novels aren't doing well. I hate how salty writers blame the audiene when it is their fault their novels aren't read by anybody, just write a fun story
Or a serious-but-not-always one if you feel like it, currently reading a girl to boy story, why? Felt like it.

unknownking

your local shitposter
A fine story that gets regular updates will always gain traction and lots of readers. But most authors including I, don't write "good" stories and are amateur writers at best. Peeps who write in popular genres, have it easier as amateur writers, in my opinion, as those readers are often looking for such stories.

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
Eh, different sites trend towards building different communities with their own signature genres.

It's why I have a few different novel websites.
Indeed such as I use this website for different writings such as my gender bender novel and others. Like how I use webnovel for fanfics. Novel websites have their own uniqueness.
A fine story that gets regular updates will always gain traction and lots of readers. But most authors including I, don't write "good" stories and are amateur writers at best. Peeps who write in popular genres, have it easier as amateur writers, in my opinion, as those readers are often looking for such stories.
Yea, indeed I agree but thats the fun you know. Rising from hardwork even though we like to procrastinate.

sage61

I haven't read in scribble hub for about a year since the pandemic and has only now recently been involved here once again. The stories I read so far ain't bad overall. Just the chapters are no longer on the active updates side anymore aka 2020s which is kinda disappointing. I tend to like my CP straight so I avoid reading all novel with BL GL rating.

As a hobby writer, I only started writing because I hated how some stories plot goes. So I thought why not write my own preferred endings/plot. And that's why I'm here on scribble hub. I search for books with like minded views and it's been a fun read overall. This place is a hobbyist writer place so I don't mind at all about what users here write as every writing posted here counts. Even if it's genre that I don't have much affinity with. If you dont like the story, just skip it and read the rest. If you look hard enough, you will find good stories here, just as I did.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Well, SH is a first time writer's paradise. The community is like 99% pretty supportive, and the other 1% is split up between people that need to leave their parents basement and shitposters that abandon the art of shitposting. On one hand, that's great cause it can boost an authors confidence, but in turn it kind of causes this cause and effect where the first time authors can never learn from their mistakes since everyone rates things with 5 stars more than half the time, or in the worst case, they think they're the next Shakespeare.

Combine that with the fact the majority of people on this site is most likely a minor, and is most likely a weeb and/or horny, then you get more than half of the newly updated novels being some variation of isekai or GB.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I've never even read a single novel on scribblehub so I have no idea. (retarded)

Sylthix

I guess the general consensus is split between "What did you expect, it's SH" and "People write what they want" with a bit of "Do something instead of complaining" which made me wonder if my OP came off as preachy. The main point of the post wasn't really to point and cry about the camouflaged elephant and its babies in the room but more to check in with other users about if they feel like the site was changing to something better or worse. Agreeing with Gryphon, The main thing that set me off enough to make this forum was probably seeing enough "reviews" to make me double check if I was actually on SH instead of an echo chamber. Though I guess I do have to just deal with it and hope someone writes something good.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
so you're saying if a novel written by an user has fantasy or gender bender genre, it's automatically becomes bad?

SailusGebel

so you're saying if a novel written by an user has fantasy or gender bender genre, it's automatically becomes bad?
No, he said that compared to the past, scribble hub has less diverse stories right now. Which isn't like that in reality, but whatever.