The Idiocy of Webnovel.com

Armorien

I am not sure if other people post on that website but, I just started today and my goodness. While I would not go as far as to deem it as 'sexist' there are some weird design choices that make zero sense. For one, despite putting zero romance tags on my story with a female lead, it automatically gets marked as a romance. And funnily enough, if you tweaked it and selected male lead, then who would have guessed, it literally loses that tag. Oh and male leads have like 5 more genres to choose from.

Why is this a thing?

Katsuya

I would call it sexist. And, YES! I understand what you mean, Its so annoying!!! The site that is. HOLY. I love this site, Webnovel should be better, logically, but NOPE.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I am not sure if other people post on that website but, I just started today and my goodness. While I would not go as far as to deem it as 'sexist' there are some weird design choices that make zero sense. For one, despite putting zero romance tags on my story with a female lead, it automatically gets marked as a romance. And funnily enough, if you tweaked it and selected male lead, then who would have guessed, it literally loses that tag. Oh and male leads have like 5 more genres to choose from.

Why is this a thing?
its even more damning when you know this website was made by like one dude ( @Tony ) in a room smelling of nickels with a BL addiction. Webnovel needs to step up their game

Armorien

I would call it sexist. And, YES! I understand what you mean, Its so annoying!!! The site that is. HOLY. I love this site, Webnovel should be better, logically, but NOPE.
Well, passion projects like Scribblehub are often better than big ones run by corporate ones with no soul.

VoxPopulist

Yeah, webnovel's entire U.I is shit, and if you want your book promoted at all you need to sign over the copyrights in a really sleazy contract. Especially because the words 'Patreon' 'KoFi' and 'Paypal' are banned words, so they're just deleted from whatever author comment or chapter you make.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨

Why is this a thing?
Webnovel sucks, it's horrendous for original novels and also translated novels

atgongumerki

Well, passion projects like Scribblehub are often better than big ones run by corporate ones with no soul.
I refer to the current gaming industry; many indie-games are BETTER than AAA-titles. And that is very very sad!

Armorien

I ended up leaving webnovel. They weren't that bad when I started on there in 2019 but they quickly went downhill.
If you don't mind me asking, I would love to know why. I literally just came on it and I'm pretty sceptical already so getting some new perspectives would be wonderful.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Why is this a thing?
Made in China, and their company has relations to the governemnt. And the government is SUS.

Probably to regulate from a social point of view, the purpose of the female in Chinese society. Pretty based

RayneStorm

I hated that whole thing about having a female led story be automatically put in the romance category when none of my female led stories have much, if any, romance at all. Violence? Yes. Mystery? Yes. A literal journey to kill the king of gods? Hell yes. Romance? Not unless you count a few side characters. Not to mention their scummy business practices and slave contracts. There are some gems but I'd rather support wuxiaworld since they actually pay their writers a decent salary

Made in China, and their company has relations to the governemnt. And the government is SUS
1642961352806.png

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
If you don't mind me asking, I would love to know why. I literally just came on it and I'm pretty sceptical already so getting some new perspectives would be wonderful.
My reasons mainly have to do with the fact that it over time it was made nearly impossible for new novels to get much recognition. That is, unless if you sell the rights to them. Another reason would be that the popular novels on webnovel are really stupid and there are rarely any good ones.

Armorien

My reasons mainly have to do with the fact that it over time it was made nearly impossible for new novels to get much recognition. That is, unless if you sell the rights to them. Another reason would be that the popular novels on webnovel are really stupid and there are rarely any good ones.
Oh, fair enough. Thank you for telling me!