The inherent toxicity in the online space

Trashlyn

:blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn:

At what point does people going somewhere private to talk become a party?

But yeah RR's moderation is trash, aside from refusing to moderate hate speech etc, one of the mods I remember was very anti lgbt fiction on the site and thought it was all smut.

QuietValerie

Royal Road doesn't even have tags for GL and BL. When I asked for it, they said no because they don't want to encourage smut. Lol.

I think that it somehow attracts a lot of the more "toxic weebs". I am pretty popular here with my gender bender stories with trans themes, and the amount of hate I've gotten here is orders of magnitude less than I got on royal road. Like, it's not even close, scribblehub is just so much nicer. Scribblehub also has much better moderation and self moderation tools.

Also don't even get me started on the racism over there, hot damn.

EternalSunset0

That was my reaction too xD
A flat "wat."

It was disappointing. I don't have any stakes or strong feelings against anyone in that convo, but I really wanted to see how the thing will play out and what opinions will get thrown around.

But... that's it? Kind of a letdown if you ask me.

Trashlyn

Also the OP's initial post and premise is not even coherent. They bring up the concept of random and indiscriminate violence as a reason women and minorities should continue to use a service that does nothing to prevent a culture of targeted and discriminate abuse and harassment because it is a "good site" if you are not one of the targeted communities and if you don't put up with it you are sheltered.

I've heard tell of people being chased or bullied away from royal road, and many people from scribblehub seem to think it's an awful place full of awful people. But that's just not true. Then why would they believe such a thing? Because that's the only part they saw of it. And of course if you're female, then you'll be given worse treatment from toxic people.
The site "not being awful place for a certain demographic of users" or declaring that "those calling awful are wrong because they haven't experienced that good part" are literally meaningless arguments because for them and through their experiences it is an awful place where they experience abuse and harassment with little to no recourse for preventing it or help from mods. Like who gives a shit if some people have a good experience on a site if your experience is being on the receiving end of harassment, abuse and various bigoted comments and reviews?

If you are wondering why minorities and targeted groups form their own closed off communities, this is why. It is not a matter of being sheltered or "safe spaces", they have plenty of experience dealing with harassment and abuse in real life. They are choosing to migrate to or create places where they dont have to deal with that abuse or harrassment so they can have some respite at least part of the time. Targeted groups are not obliged to remain in hostile or toxic environments, especially when better ones exist.

Not to mention that Royalroad has better competitors e.g. Scribblehub, which those targeted groups have migrated to and use which is pretty much evidence that the marketplace of ideas is thriving. Honestly even aside from the moderation & community aspects, Scribblehub is a better website all round both in looks, crispness, how it runs and what it is like to search, read and post on. Tony should be proud.

Scribbler

They bring up the concept of random and indiscriminate violence as a reason women and minorities should continue to use a service that does nothing to prevent a culture of targeted and discriminate abuse and harassment because it is a "good site" if you are not one of the targeted communities and if you don't put up with it you are sheltered.
I did not say that. Just a FYI.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Whatever that is needed to be said has been said so all I really have to add to this are images in which I think could speak a lot to internet culture:

EfYzTlMX0AMtyJ0.jpeg

EfeKhyiUwAEx3z_.jpeg

Scribbler

Also the OP's initial post and premise is not even coherent. They bring up the concept of random and indiscriminate violence as a reason women and minorities should continue to use a service that does nothing to prevent a culture of targeted and discriminate abuse and harassment because it is a "good site" if you are not one of the targeted communities and if you don't put up with it you are sheltered.

The site "not being awful place for a certain demographic of users" or declaring that "those calling awful are wrong because they haven't experienced that good part" are literally meaningless arguments because for them and through their experiences it is an awful place where they experience abuse and harassment with little to no recourse for preventing it or help from mods. Like who gives a shit if some people have a good experience on a site if your experience is being on the receiving end of harassment, abuse and various bigoted comments and reviews?

If you are wondering why minorities and targeted groups form their own closed off communities, this is why. It is not a matter of being sheltered or "safe spaces", they have plenty of experience dealing with harassment and abuse in real life. They are choosing to migrate to or create places where they dont have to deal with that abuse or harrassment so they can have some respite at least part of the time. Targeted groups are not obliged to remain in hostile or toxic environments, especially when better ones exist.

Not to mention that Royalroad has better competitors e.g. Scribblehub, which those targeted groups have migrated to and use which is pretty much evidence that the marketplace of ideas is thriving. Honestly even aside from the moderation & community aspects, Scribblehub is a better website all round both in looks, crispness, how it runs and what it is like to search, read and post on. Tony should be proud.
Yo, I never said anything about how people should act. I posted my view on how others view things. I even said, "how I view it" meaning it was not the end all or be all of views.

Last edited:

Scribbler

Like, you're making aaaaa lot of assumptions here. Like a lot.

Scribbler

You literally didn't understand anything I said.

Scribbler

Woah, that's a lot of toxic mindsets I can see in this thread.

Sounds awesome, so Royal Road isn't that bad, it just shits on female authors for being women, but it's not a bad place, that's just not true. Your whole idea can be completely twisted around very easily, watch this:

See? Factually correct, the same as what you said, even though it's complete bullshit. The thing is, if you get shit treatment from a community because of who you are or what you write, then it's a shit community. The admins couldn't be bothered to deal with the toxicity of their environment, and so everyone left.

So I thought Royal Road being a horrible place was "just not true", but then you go on about how the world is a horrible place in general and I'm rather lost as to what your point is. You're basically saying people should just grin and bear RR's toxicity, and yet by your answer it looks like you've never had the pleasure of being "given worse treatment from toxic people"

This all just reeks of privilege. You've never had to deal with the shit those people have had to, and so you're like "it's not so bad! I'm doing just fine!! You just have to accept it" When both of your experiences are in no way equal.

In this case, you're the one who's been sheltered, just like CL said. You haven't had to deal with the toxicity to the extent other people have had to, and that's why you can just be like "you people are just too soft". I'll repeat, your experiences do not compare in any way, shape or form, so how could you tell them this?
- - -

I guess that's true, to a certain extent. You shouldn't be overly sensitive, but if everyone starts spitting on your work then you have a right to and should tell them to fuck off. Otherwise you're just going to end up as a doormat who changes who they are everytime someone tells them to.
You literally understood nothing I said and assumed soooo much. That's privilege right there. Bending things so they work for you. Do you not see the hypocrisy in that?

Scribbler

just reeks of trying to move the argument away from any discourse that remotely disagrees with your specific opinions by presenting facts contrary to your beliefs
Do you not hear how repulsive that sounds? Just reeks. I don't know the word. Instigating? I don't want to argue with you. I don't see the point in it. I'm sorry. What do I get from proving I'm right? Do I get money? Do I get time? I could debate all day but nothing would get done.

Scribbler

Like I'm not just a thing or a toy to play with. I'm a person.

Milk.Milkan

Me Milk, me smart.
Since when a person s not a thing to toy and play with?

But overall me can say dat both sides r pretty bad at holding a discussion and jumping from extreme to extreme wile calling it a middle ground so eeh, maybe stop?

Discuss it in private??