The new project bias

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
I have no idea if it is the same with everyone. But, when you finish a book, and then start a new one, do you feel a detachment from the previous book?

It is like, man, the new book is shiny and a journey not taken. Oh, hey, someone left me a heart on the former project, which I finished a whole day ago.

Meh...

I feel like a parent who doesn't love her children equally XD.

I have been updating shelved projects these days, and I sometimes read the chapters before posting them. The way of wording things is my clumsy word vomit churning, no argument about that. But... I don't remember anything about a book that I finished three years ago. That makes me feel weird.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!

You people finish books?

laccoff_mawning

Once I tried starting to write a new book. Then I realised I had to come up with more character names and I just decided "nah".

ACertainPassingUser

Its okay. The past you is not the current you anymore.

The past you loved the past project, and the current you love the current project. You're moving on responsibly, thats a good trait for an author and people in general.

Your best choice as an Author is to love your current project and take care of it until its finished.

Then, after it's finished, you can let go of it and gradually deattach your love from them.

Its finished, you dont have to worry about it anymore. Your story would be lonely, but there's always someone else that would take a look on it and appreciate it.

greyliliy

I'm almost always working on more than one at a time...

But generally I love reading old works again. I also forgot the specific things I wrote years ago. Lol. However! I almost always have a good time reading my old stuff, even when I see where it could be improved.