The OPness of a great waifu cover to boost your story engagement

KyoruS

I just want to preface that this post might contain a lot of biases and a lack of refined analysis. I just want to share my experience of replacing my bland logo cover to a full-blown waifu cover for my story.

Introduction:
My story, Lord of the Ancient (古代の主), to put it mildly, weren't doing so great in the beginning. Yeah, I was getting a substantial amount of readers and views which I'm very happy with, especially to the readers for sticking to my shitty story.

But like a normal human being, I want m̷̛̬̱͖͈̘̞̩̈́ö̶̳̫̇̊r̴̼̔́̔̄e̸̛͙̝̔̅̏̊.

To do so, I decided to scour the internet, desperately trying to find a great artist to commission request him/her to create an original waifu character for my story cover. In the hope of one day reaching the holy land — the trending page.

And he/she delivered very well.

Look at the following first cover which is a bland logo cover I stole on the internet and the spectacular second cover which changed how my story is perceived.

First Cover (Bland Logo Cover :blob_neutral:):
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 3.56.18 PM.png

Second Cover (Waifu Cover :blob_melt:):
LotaCover1.1(1).jpg

Inserting the much-improved cover (It's a busty dragon waifu in the cover, of course, readers are going to click that) causes quite a huge spike of views on the day of my one-week hiatus announcement (yeah I know, dumb move) that somehow reaches almost the same views peak when my story is still on the new series page, which is around ~1.4k views in a single day.

The result of it? By the time I posted this thread, the story got into 8th place on the trending page. That ladies and gentlemen is a great reason why you need to get a waifu cover.

In conclusion:
For the love of God, if you want to make it into trending, create a great cover. Commission an original waifu character related to your story, get basic photoshop editing skills to make it look nice and pretty (Personally I just use Pixlr). Plaster it as the cover for your story, spam quality chapters, then relax and see the massive boost of views on your story.

I wrote this forum/post to encourage new or prospective authors to create a great waifu cover first, before publishing your story. I'll bet if I was patient enough and post the second version of my cover by the time I start posting my story, then I would gain many more views and readers. But because I was heavily impatient and a bunch of stuff happened IRL this happened.

Also please do not steal images and claim it as a cover (Man the level of irony in this statement). Although you might attract readers, your story won't feel unique (this is especially true if it's from a popular character).

And be mindful that, although a great waifu cover will drive your readers to visit your story page, you still need a great synopsis and amazing first chapter to get your readers to be invested in your story.

I shall end this thread with my newly created quote:
"Writing skills? Heh, waifu cover is what matters." :blob_popcorn:

Chad_B

I lucked out here. My gf is an awesome artist. :blob_joy: :blob_joy: :blob_joy:

cover.jpg

jabathehut

Resident Troll
I just want to preface that this post might contain a lot of biases and a lack of refined analysis. I just want to share my experience of replacing my bland logo cover to a full-blown waifu cover for my story.

Introduction:
My story, Lord of the Ancient (古代の主), to put it mildly, weren't doing so great in the beginning. Yeah, I was getting a substantial amount of readers and views which I'm very happy with, especially to the readers for sticking to my shitty story.

But like a normal human being, I want m̷̛̬̱͖͈̘̞̩̈́ö̶̳̫̇̊r̴̼̔́̔̄e̸̛͙̝̔̅̏̊.

To do so, I decided to scour the internet, desperately trying to find a great artist to commission request him/her to create an original waifu character for my story cover. In the hope of one day reaching the holy land — the trending page.

And he/she delivered very well.

Look at the following first cover which is a bland logo cover I stole on the internet and the spectacular second cover which changed how my story is perceived.

First Cover (Bland Logo Cover :blob_neutral:):
View attachment 3531

Second Cover (Waifu Cover :blob_melt:):
View attachment 3533
Link us to the artist

Fuyutsuki_Kaori

I wanted to make my cover appealing to the eyes too but, decided against it since I have no talent for the art and could not bring to use others drawings for my own. (especially since I cant fully credit them.)

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Laughs in Trending with a cover made of 2 free, slightly remodelled himself objects, which literally consist of two colours.

Oh, wait... I have the word brothel in the title... it feels like a bait already...

Jokes aside, I can't wait for next month to come, so I can yoink that money from Patreon and commission some nice cover from sum artist. Should I order a hot waifu for a double bait :blob_hmm:

ShinUon

How much does it cost to commission a good cover? And where do you go about finding artists?

I noticed many ScribbleHub contest entries seem to have covers that look commissioned. Considering how frequent contests are, makes me wonder how much commissions cost and if they're more affordable than I thought.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
How much does it cost to commission a good cover? And where do you go about finding artists?

I noticed many ScribbleHub contest entries seem to have covers that look commissioned. Considering how frequent contests are, makes me wonder how much commissions cost and if they're more affordable than I thought.
Depends on artist and what kind of quality you want. Others asked this in the past, so there must be threads about this topic already.