The Public Posting Effect

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
It doesn't.

The effect is because of the medium, text, and anonymity. You'll have the same outcome with or without an audience. Maybe you are more likely to have an argument with more people involved, but if everyone else stays out, it'd be the same if conducted by DM.

melchi

What is a custom title?
20040319-umO0zG4o@2x.jpg

This is something that has been known for quite a while.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
It doesn't.

The effect is because of the medium, text, and anonymity. You'll have the same outcome with or without an audience. Maybe you are more likely to have an argument with more people involved, but if everyone else stays out, it'd be the same if conducted by DM.
One thing I've noticed is that if you're in person, people tend to be much more polite, and try to see your argument.

I find most people online simply ignore what I say and keep focusing on their own argument as though I don't get it if when I do get it but I'm trying to explain why I don't believe their argument is strong.

Bold of you to assume I'm not just as annoying in real life
Maybe that's why you're on the internet.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
Trying to PM someone about a topic feels like harassment to me. Even when it's not. I guess I just don't like initiating things. I need an invitation to enter.

Alternatively, by the time I realize the conversation should have been private, I've already lost the will to continue it and try to disengage. That never turns out well...

Le_ther

This is something I have to wonder about.

Why is it when two people have a disagreement, and it's posted in a public place or a forum, it always seem to get out of hand. Yet neither side is ever interested in it going to PM?

Thoughts?
It's really funny if they dont go through pm's as it becomes a good entertainment source tbh. I mean just look at reddit or twitter threads. It's like a pokemon battle but more of a Ego duels. Its fun and games till they start ddoxing

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
It's really funny if they dont go through pm's as it becomes a good entertainment source tbh. I mean just look at reddit or twitter threads. It's like a pokemon battle but more of a Ego duels. Its fun and games till they start ddoxing
Ego is quite the scary thing.
I usually try to end disagreements amicably but often people don't want amicable, they just want you to tell them they're right and that they don't need to change their world view to be closer to reality.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Trying to PM someone about a topic feels like harassment to me. Even when it's not. I guess I just don't like initiating things. I need an invitation to enter.

Alternatively, by the time I realize the conversation should have been private, I've already lost the will to continue it and try to disengage. That never turns out well...
My "I am royally pissed off at you" threshold is unfortunately lower than my "Okay let's take this offline" threshold. This is unfortunate, but oh well.

(aka if I know I'm not going to convince someone and they can't convince me, I'll just drop my 2 eurocents and move on. This is why sometimes I am very impassioned in a counterattack and then just not follow it up with anything. Also because I know my followup will be less than proper.)

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
My "I am royally pissed off at you" threshold is unfortunately lower than my "Okay let's take this offline" threshold. This is unfortunate, but oh well.

(aka if I know I'm not going to convince someone and they can't convince me, I'll just drop my 2 eurocents and move on. This is why sometimes I am very impassioned in a counterattack and then just not follow it up with anything. Also because I know my followup will be less than proper.)
I think at some point dropping two cents won't work. Often someone needs an ego boost and will bait you. I've learned that even when I just try to ask a difficult question people hate it.

It's funny how despite being anonymous, people want to boost their ego.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
They're both secretly hoping for supporters of their side to chime in.

Poleg

King of the birds and the fish.
Thet are too caught up in the moment
This is something I have to wonder about.

Why is it when two people have a disagreement, and it's posted in a public place or a forum, it always seem to get out of hand. Yet neither side is ever interested in it going to PM?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG-20230708-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230708-WA0000.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 22

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
The romans had it right, the people want blood and sports. Arguments can be made a sports, so it only needs to turn ugly for it to be entertaining.

D

Deleted member 113259

The romans had it right, the people want blood and sports. Arguments can be made a sports, so it only needs to turn ugly for it to be entertaining.
Gladiators were the best form of slave.