The term "Mary Sue & Gary Stu" is a major pet peeve of mine TBH

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
errr... you said you hate the term? not the trope itself?

term is just pretty much a label that people decide by themselves, it's just something like recognitive mechanism people had towards a character they see/read for the fist time

you can already see from these comments here, that almost everyone has different view in how a marry sue character is.

have you ever heard the term "Yamato Nadeshiko"? that kind of similar to mary sue term, but does this yamato nadeshiko is a mary sue? some people said yes, some said no (i'm at the latter faction). and that's fine to have a different opinion towards it.

you better just ignore and stop preaching those who's labeling thing with their own term. happiness doesn't come to those who attempt to make people to be the same as them. just try to focus on something else.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I was accused of making a Mary Sue many years ago, but nobody has called my latest character that.

MadmanRB

errr... you said you hate the term? not the trope itself?

term is just pretty much a label that people decide by themselves, it's just something like recognitive mechanism people had towards a character they see/read for the fist time

you can already see from these comments here, that almost everyone has different view in how a marry sue character is.

have you ever heard the term "Yamato Nadeshiko"? that kind of similar to mary sue term, but does this yamato nadeshiko is a mary sue? some people said yes, some said no (i'm at the latter faction). and that's fine to have a different opinion towards it.

you better just ignore and stop preaching those who's labeling thing with their own term. happiness doesn't come to those who attempt to make people to be the same as them. just try to focus on something else.
The term itself is where I have my issue, I mean honesty I have seen the arguments against Rey here, and they sound the same as everywhere else, and it feels more of the same TBH as I don't see her as a Mary Sue.

Yes I said it as GASP! Despite the flaws I liked the sequel trilogy.
Yes it has its writing issues but so did the rest of Star Wars TBH and I wonder if everyone would say the same if Rey was a male character sometimes, I mean we still have one other character that pulled powers out of nowhere: Baby Yoda.
But I guess he's a baby+Male=acceptable?
As well TBH I'm honest that I agree with the term being rather sexist justifying hatred for female main characters these days.
And look I am no ultra feminist or anything, but it just seems that if you bring a male character up they hand wave yet give none if they are female these days.
I mean heck I have a female character who I am purposely pushing to the sidelines now as I know if I made her the main she would get flak.
As she's a superhero with enhanced strength and speed with her main power is that I am making her my teams tank by having her physically stronger than her male counterpart.
Now yes I did give her a major weakness: she has a nasty temper and when she loses it things don't end well.
But still it seems these days if you make a female character who appears stronger than males = Mary Sue
And I plan on making my female character the main character in the second season.

Last edited:

EternalSunset0

As well TBH I'm honest that I agree with the term being rather sexist justifying hatred for female main characters.
And look I am no ultra feminist or anything, but it just seems that if you bring a male character up they hand wave yet give none if they are female these days.
I don't think I can add too much to the discussion with everyone having said their opinions save for this one.

Being a weeb and all, I can say that the male bias is not true, based on my experience. You brought up Goku, but I guess you haven't seen so many Isekai heroes.

I would argue that the level of accuracy of the term for the individuals might vary depending on the medium you're taking a look at, but I think I can introduce you to Kira Yamato, Kirito, Tatsuya Shiba, Izayoi Sakamaki, Shin Wolford, Aizen, Kazuma Yagami, Usui Takumi, Sora, etc. All recipients of the Gary Stu label by community members, and they're all male.

Male characters certainly don't get a pass because they're male, at least if we're talking from my experience.

Last edited:

Napelynn

This might just be me but I see the term Gary Stu much more often than I see Mary Sue.

MadmanRB

I don't think I can add too much to the discussion with everyone having said their opinions save for this one.

Being a weeb and all, I can that the male bias is not true, based on my experience. You brought up Goku, but I guess you haven't seen so many Isekai heroes.

I would argue that the level of accuracy of the term for the individuals might vary depending on the medium you're taking a look at, but I think I can introduce you to Kira Yamato, Kirito, Tatsuya Shiba, Izayoi Sakamaki, Shin Wolford, Aizen, Kazuma Yagami, Usui Takumi, Sora, etc. All recipients of the Gary Stu label by community members, and they're all male.

Male characters certainly don't get a pass because they're male, at least if we're talking from my experience.

Yeah, well you must understand I am not as into Anime as I am other things and only see the results I do thanks to the fandoms I encounter.
But I honestly do feel there is a sexist overtone in modern geek culture these days, and that is coming from someone who used to be a part of it.
Its become so crazy Jocks seem less sexist these days.

Last edited:

EternalSunset0

Yeah, well you must understand I am not as into Anime as I am other things and only see the results I do thanks to the fandoms I encounter.
I honestly do feel there is a sexist overtone in modern geek culture these days, and that is coming from someone who used to be a part of it.
Its become so crazy Jocks seem less sexist these days.
Understandable. The lens you're viewing things through do make a huge difference.

MadmanRB

Honestly it makes me wonder if I should do my character changeover now.
Currently, my main character is a male who as a superhero has three main powers:
enhance speed
enhanced strength
and mild psychic abilities I do foreshadow

His female counterpart I didn't do so much with just yet and almost dread doing the changeover for my stories next major story arc.
I didn't exactly foreshadow her super strength that well, its mentioned only once and shows up well after it was mentioned.
That's because I got caught up in building my universe, focussed more on my plot than the powers.
Technically this is a good thing ad honestly it's not an easy to foreshadow super strength as it is the former especially when you are more interested in moving the plot forward than anything.

EternalSunset0

Honestly it makes me wonder if I should do my character changeover now.
Currently, my main character is a male who as a superhero has three main powers:
enhance speed
enhanced strength
and mild psychic abilities I do foreshadow

His female counterpart I didn't do so much with just yet and almost dread doing the changeover for my stories next major story arc.
I didn't exactly foreshadow her super strength that well, its mentioned only once and shows up well after it was mentioned.
That's because I got caught up in building my universe, focussed more on my plot than the powers.
Technically this is a good thing ad honestly it's not an easy to foreshadow super strength as it is the former especially when you are more interested in moving the plot forward than anything.
I think it depends on the goal you have for your story. I personally know a lot of stories and series with "Mary Sues" but are still enjoyable for a sizable portion of people.

Instead of a full do-over, you can just retroactively add more foreshadowing for the female character through dialogue even while moving the plot forward. Perhaps integrate the foreshadowing with the world itself. Besides, I don't think people will mind that much if it becomes outright clear that you're not trying to be the next big classical literature author or something. On another note, I haven't read your work so I dunno if this advice works.

Also, an advantage of a written medium as opposed to a visual one is that you can add internal flaws. Even someone like Superman can have his moments of doubt, and it's easier to show/tell that through a novel than a movie. I know you don't watch the medium much, but that is primarily why a lot of the "Gary Stu" characters in anime have their defenders (mostly consisting of source material readers). Flaws like inner struggles and hesitations often don't translate well to a visual format, but in a written format, you can show your readers such perspectives.

Spica66

I think Mary Sue mostly appears in teen fantasy-romance novels.

MadmanRB

I think it depends on the goal you have for your story. I personally know a lot of stories and series with "Mary Sues" but are still enjoyable for a sizable portion of people.

Instead of a full do-over, you can just retroactively add more foreshadowing for the female character through dialogue even while moving the plot forward. Perhaps integrate the foreshadowing with the world itself. Besides, I don't think people will mind that much if it becomes outright clear that you're not trying to be the next big classical literature author or something. On another note, I haven't read your work so I dunno if this advice works.

Also, an advantage of a written medium as opposed to a visual one is that you can add internal flaws. Even someone like Superman can have his moments of doubt, and it's easier to show/tell that through a novel than a movie. I know you don't watch the medium much, but that is primarily why a lot of the "Gary Stu" characters in anime have their defenders (mostly consisting of source material readers). Flaws like inner struggles and hesitations often don't translate well to a visual format, but in a written format, you can show your readers such perspectives.
Well one thing I will do is have two chapters per main character dedicated to the world from their perspective so yes POV change from third person to first, but I know I can make it work.
I already did it to one character, another male character who joins my superhero team in the second half of my arc.
I did this as by that point I felt I already explored my first two main characters enough and needed to ensure my third main doesn't come off as being forced.
In total my story will have four central characters
At least four secondary/support characters
And four main big bads
This way my series doesn't feel bloated or uneven, and each main hero gets their time to shine.