The term "Mary Sue & Gary Stu" is a major pet peeve of mine TBH

D

Deleted member 45782

I don't like using the term Mary Sue just because if the negativity it's gained.

Rey is a bad character. She is good at scavenging, at fighting, at fixing ships, at lightsaber fighting, and more. It is not because she is a woman. Leia is an awesone character in the original trilogy because she has good lines, doesn't take nonsense from people, but we see that she doesn't have all the answers.

She feels like a real person who doesn't know what to do, rather than an actor playing out her required role in the plot.

I don't like super depressing stories either - but your story and character doesn't have to be that. Give them flaws in ability or emotional control. Give reasons for their flaws and talents to exist.
agree. flaws. perfect as in making mistakes but always being forgiven. always perfect, always strong always well liked, etc. characters need some flaws from time to time.
In the story Mistborn, Vin takes to the magical art of Allomancy well, but we see her practicing it a lot. She likes practicing it because it makes her feel free. At the same time, she is struggling with trusting those around her after an extremely difficult childhood, living on the streets. She is afraid that she will be betrayed constantly. So when we see her grow that is satisfying and interesting.

Rey is not interesting because it never felt like she grew. Another often attacked character in the sequels, Rose, is bad mostly because she was given just a bad character. I think her casting was good, but lines like "we'll win not by attacking what we hate, but protecting what we love," sound really stupid.

II'll point out that while there are people who have a dislike of female characters, a lot of the drama with Rey and Rose was exacerbated by journalists branding anyone who didn't like them as misogynistic.
idk i didn't really watch closely of star wars, but i do know a lot of people say she was also bad character too. sad that the actress behind rose had to also face hateful and racist comments from trolls though. those toxity made the actress took some time off media i think. actually found one of those twitter accounts saying why can't a prettier lady be cast in the role and depicted the actress picture to another asian lady actress that was skinner..
Just give your characters a good balance, and think through if they would have the skills to do what they are. Seeing a character struggle is interesting and relatable, and then when they learn to overcome their weaknesses, or accept them, it becomes much more powerful.
agreed

Jemini

Yes I said it as GASP! Despite the flaws I liked the sequel trilogy.
Yes it has its writing issues but so did the rest of Star Wars TBH and I wonder if everyone would say the same if Rey was a male character sometimes, I mean we still have one other character that pulled powers out of nowhere: Baby Yoda.

Baby Yoda also gets what I'm going to coin as "the Batman Pass." (A pass for very obvious Mary Sue characters that get a pass because of some frustrating yet obvious factor. In this case, because he's a cute little freaking muppet riding on the popularity of the original Yoda.)

And, no, it's not becase Female = Hate. If I saw a male character suddenly able to fly the falcon better than Han, use the force better than Yoda, get out of every problem by themselves without help, and boss the villain in the first encounter, and all with ABSOLUTELY ZERO TRAINING I would be calling shenanigans male or female.

EDIT: Personally, I don't really like Baby Yoda's power set because the only justification for his powers are that his species is just strong in the force. If we presume that, it takes a LOT away from the real Yoda's character. He goes from being a phenomenal Jedi master to being just some old creature that happens to be naturally strong in the force. Removes a lot of the wisdom and wise teacher angle.

EDIT 2: Also, yes, in regards to the scenario I just laid out with Rey, I can think of about half a dozen male characters off the top of my head who fit that description (or at least equivalents there of) to a T. Every single one of them gets the Mary Sue / Gary Stu label from not just me, but the entire internet. SAO would be the easiest example to throw up there.

Last edited:

MadmanRB

Baby Yoda also gets what I'm going to coin as "the Batman Pass." (A pass for very obvious Mary Sue characters that get a pass because of some frustrating yet obvious factor. In this case, because he's a cute little freaking muppet riding on the popularity of the original Yoda.)

And, no, it's not becase Female = Hate. If I saw a male character suddenly able to fly the falcon better than Han, use the force better than Yoda, get out of every problem by themselves without help, and boss the villain in the first encounter, and all with ABSOLUTELY ZERO TRAINING I would be calling shenanigans male or female.
But I heard this too and I can counter it by saying we didn't see Luke training to use the force between ANH and ESB, plus he seemed very apt at piloting an X wing despite us not seeing him training how to use one.
Also, we did see Kylo Ren was weakened by his fight with Fynn, and it did seem him killing Han effected him on an emotional level, so maybe he was not at his best with his first fight with Rey.
Now yes we didn't see Rey training in TFA, but I can mostly pardon it as its job was to reestablish the franchise for a new audience with the old one along for the ride, yes this does cause a "plot hole" for her character TFA's job was to make us familiar with the new setting JJ Abrams went with.
This whole spiel about training really irks me about arguments against Rey.
Again where is the training session for James Bond?
Or Luke for that matter between ANH and ESB?
How did he learn the Jedi Mind trick in ROTJ?
We never saw his training session on how to do it on camera, most of that is in the extended universe.
I mean can you see where I am getting at right?
Again I did see these arguments before and mostly from people who seem nothing more than sexist pigs at times.
Really there is a lot of sexist undertones in some comments I read and heard and please note I am not calling folks here sexist as at least while most of the arguments I heard before seem more refined and less like an angry rant by some loser who lives in their mothers basement.

Last edited:

MadmanRB

Authors in this forum sure love wasting their time writing everything but their novels.
Eh personally I am on a down period, I technically already finished my story and will slowly upload it here for feedback as having a second pair of eyes helps.
Plus no one is doing any harm and most disagreements are held in a civil manner.

D

Deleted member 45782

Mary Sue is basically a character that is perfect. No flaws. Just perfection.... is what I am thinking after reading all of the replys....
Yup. Essentially. A character that is super perfect can't go wrong. Well-liked by everyone. Does everything perfect or if there are some flaws, very miniscule or don't really sound believable that it is worth to mention. Or if they do make a mistake, no one calls them out on it, cause they are all perfect and super loved. They can learn and acquire things very quick and become OP, sometimes taking on way more skilled person. Everything comes very easy to them, even though the process would make most struggle. But no, not them...they are too perfect.

Mary-Sue so much that if they are all perfect...what else do they have available that can actually be used to help propel their character development? They are already perfect as it is. Might as well conclude the end: not that they became god, but they already were a god.

Example: Marinette from Miraculous Ladybug. Interesting kids show, but some characters seem to have more development than her. So many positive traits vs one kinda obnoxious flaw (althu, suppose be a light-hearted kids show, but yeah).

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Yup. Essentially. A character that is super perfect can't go wrong. Well-liked by everyone. Does everything perfect or if there are some flaws, very miniscule or don't really sound believable that it is worth to mention. Or if they do make a mistake, no one calls them out on it, cause they are all perfect and super loved. They can learn and acquire things very quick and become OP, sometimes taking on way more skilled person. Everything comes very easy to them, even though the process would make most struggle. But no, not them...they are too perfect.

Mary-Sue so much that if they are all perfect...what else do they have available that can actually be used to help propel their character development? They are already perfect as it is. Might as well conclude the end: not that they became god, but they already were a god.

Example: Marinette from Miraculous Ladybug. Interesting kids show, but some characters seem to have more development than her. So many positive traits vs one kinda obnoxious flaw (althu, suppose be a light-hearted kids show, but yeah).
Why did you specifically use Miraculous Ladybug? (I only know about it because of my neice).

D

Deleted member 45782

Why did you specifically use Miraculous Ladybug? (I only know about it because of my neice).
The only serious flaw she has was her crush on Aiden. I tend read youtube comments, sometimes more than videos. But I also watched some of it too. So some of those comments talked about it like this:

Aiden got at least some backstory as to why he feels and behave that way.

Marinette?
Perfect loving parents who never get the hint she up to something like save another day.
Perfect good student.
Creative in fashion that gets noticed.
Everyone in her class likes here (excluding chloe and lila)
Always a hero and accomplish a mission, (even if there was a slight hiccup, in the end, she still managed to banish the akuma).

Sometimes the way she treats others she doesn't realize that it was kinda rude and mean. Like how she always treat Luka, who seems to be perfectly fine with her still crushing on Aiden, sometimes kinda seem like ditching him. How she treat those she doesn't like right away. And that many people feel like she has, it cold be her flaw yes. But then she always get known as the perfect kindness one that no one really calls her out on how she treat some of those others sometimes. The only they they call her out on is her obsessive crush and its mostly just them smiling and rolling their eyes at her.

Like the character, but i can see why some people also say shes kind a mary-sue

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
The only serious flaw she has was her crush on Aiden. I tend read youtube comments, sometimes more than videos. But I also watched some of it too. So some of those comments talked about it like this:

Marinette?
Perfect good student.
Always a hero and accomplish a mission, (even if there was a slight hiccup, in the end, she still managed to banish the akuma).

Sometimes the way she treats others she doesn't realize that it was kinda rude and mean. Like how she always treat Luka, who seems to be perfectly fine with her still crushing on Aiden, sometimes kinda seem like ditching him. How she treat those she doesn't like right away. And that many people feel like she has, it cold be her flaw yes. But then she always get known as the perfect kindness one that no one really calls her out on how she treat some of those others sometimes. The only they they call her out on is her obsessive crush and its mostly just them smiling and rolling their eyes at her.

Like the character, but i can see why some people also say shes kind a mary-sue
One of the best character developements would be if Aiden gets together with someone else, because Marionette realizes that living a life as 2 superheroes married would be hard. Coping with that would make her character become more life-like.

D

Deleted member 45782

One of the best character developements would be if Aiden gets together with someone else, because Marionette realizes that living a life as 2 superheroes married would be hard. Coping with that would make her character become more life-like.
I think the more realistic character development for Marinette was actually realizing her obsession is taking her too far and its actually pulling her down from other aspects of her life, not just the hero aspect (which they do to some extent, esp with season kagami and luka in). Or how her academic side and many things in her normal civilian slowly falls behind or breaks down bc of how much time she has to put into her hero life. Or how she gets called out for not treating others really well, just bc they are love rivals or treating Luka as a temporary placeholder for Aiden. 🤔
And as some mentioned, maybe some actual more episodes where she doesn't always save the day, but more even mixture of Aiden saves, and she saves.

And seriously, I watch through all of that just to find out how the heck do they not notice who the other one is (facepalm facepalm). Those costumes are unique, some are really great an cool, and others are ..meh.

MadmanRB

Marinette?
Perfect loving parents who never get the hint she up to something like save another day.
Perfect good student.
Yeah, but to be fair this is a character targeted at young girls so most "Sue" traits most hate are not as big to me.
They are trying to create a mostly positive role model despite a few quirks by the writing staff.

And yes I did check out Miraculous ladybug, but that's because I am an animation fan who hears of popular cartoons targeted at youngsters and see if they are something even I as an adult can enjoy.
It helps when you have some childhood left in you of course :D

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Well, as long as it's fun to watch/read I don't really care. If it's a Mary Sue at least make it an interesting Mary Sue. Rey is just boring to watch. You know she's gonna succeed anyway and the movie reinforces this every step of the way.

At least Superman loses to some villains every once in a while. And Batman has the Joker to throw him off. Rey's just curb stomping every way.

D

Deleted member 45782

Yeah, but to be fair this is a character targeted at young girls so most "Sue" traits most hate are not as big to me.
They are trying to create a mostly positive role model despite a few quirks by the writing staff.

And yes I did check out Miraculous ladybug, but that's because I am an animation fan who hears of popular cartoons targeted at youngsters and see if they are something even I as an adult can enjoy.
It helps when you have some childhood left in you of course :D
True. And yeah, I can definitely see why. Technically speaking if we go at its light-hearted route. Its not bad. Its cheesey kind adorable way: teenage girl who secret identity is a hero that always save the day, but with one fatal flaw: BOYS. And not just any boy, but one Aiden. Aside from the creepy stalker thing, its a cute kid show.

I like how colorful the artwork is and the nice design costumes they have. Watch it bit much and you'll also fall in the trap of being mersmerized by Miraculous Ladybug XD. And we all just say we keep watching bc we wanna know when aiden and marinette find out their so obvious partners lol.

Tbh, im not really gruding or against marinette bc of her super sue ability. I really just wanna know when they facepalm themselves when they find out chat noir is ofc aiden and marinette is ladybug. im just waiting for that scene bro.

MadmanRB

Well, as long as it's fun to watch/read I don't really care. If it's a Mary Sue at least make it an interesting Mary Sue. Rey is just boring to watch. You know she's gonna succeed anyway and the movie reinforces this every step of the way.

At least Superman loses to some villains every once in a while. And Batman has the Joker to throw him off. Rey's just curb stomping every way.

Except Rey doesn't win in TLJ, and she barely beat Kylo in TFA.
If Kylo was at his best I feel he would have won in TFA, but he wasn't at his full game at the end of TFA.

True. And yeah, I can definitely see why. Technically speaking if we go at its light-hearted route. Its not bad. Its cheesey kind adorable way: teenage girl who secret identity is a hero that always save the day, but with one fatal flaw: BOYS. And not just any boy, but one Aiden. Aside from the creepy stalker thing, its a cute kid show.

I like how colorful the artwork is and the nice design costumes they have. Watch it bit much and you'll also fall in the trap of being mersmerized by Miraculous Ladybug XD. And we all just say we keep watching bc we wanna know when aiden and marinette find out their so obvious partners lol.

Tbh, im not really gruding or against marinette bc of her super sue ability. I really just wanna know when they facepalm themselves when they find out chat noir is ofc aiden and marinette is ladybug. im just waiting for that scene bro.
Yeah, I mean I'm not into Miraculous ladybug, but I get its appeal for sure, I'm aware it has its adult fans which is what animation should do in general appeal to as much of a demographic as possible.
I come from the Don Bluth school of animation where even if its for kids doesn't mean it has to be dumbed down though Bluth did make that mistake in his later films.

Last edited:

Jemini

Again I did see these arguments before and mostly from people who seem nothing more than sexist pigs at times.
Really there is a lot of sexist undertones in some comments I read and heard and please note I am not calling folks here sexist as at least while most of the arguments I heard before seem more refined and less like an angry rant by some loser who lives in their mothers basement.

Might have to ask yourself then if you dislike the argument or the source on this. I can do a comparison between SAO's Kirito and Rey or Deathmarch's Sato and Rey or the protagonist of "in another world with my smartphone" and Rey if you need me to prove my basis that this is about the presentation and not the gender.

(BTW: I am actually proud of myself that I have forgotten the name of Smartphone's protagonist. It's something I'd rather not remember. So, actually, please do not make me run a comparison between Rey and that guy. I will have to use mind bleach afterward just to remove the trauma of looking at that bastard again.)

But I heard this too and I can counter it by saying we didn't see Luke training to use the force between ANH and ESB, plus he seemed very apt at piloting an X wing despite us not seeing him training how to use one.

2 things. 1, the ability Luke showed with the X-wing was actually kinda basic. He was not really put into position where he had to do any complex dogfighting and such. Nothing at all like Poe Dameron's single uninterrupted shot dogfight over that Mos-eyesly in the forest place in TFA. (The one that ended with the guy yelling "Woo! What a pilot!")

All Luke did was fly straight and get into the trench, and veer off when someone got on his tail as he tried to escape. We can probably safely presume he just got some rudimentary training on weapon systems and then mixed it with what he knew about piloting speeders to justify that. You have to keep in mind this was a bunch of rebels struggling for survival. Throwing a barely trained farmboy at the death star is exactly the kind of move they would pull in that situation.

This doesn't even compare to Rey piloting the falcon better than Han. It's all about points of comparison to judge skill scales. Rey shows way too much skill for the level of experience, training, and exposure she ought to have.

As for the force, the only thing he did before being sent to Degoba was try to force move his lightsaber stuck in the snow. Now, for the sake of being intellectually honest, I will grant you this one. He had never seen this as a potential possible move before he tried it. Obi-wan had never shown Luke force telekenisis. However, given the danger of his situation, we can excuse that one by assuming he was just desperately trying to reach his lightsaber in this urgent life-or-death situation and that triggered something. It can be seen as a clumsy move, and force telekenisis is a technique that is far more brute force compared to Jedi mind control.

Jedi mind control by comparison requires you to use the force while strongly implanting a hypnotic suggestion. A specific phrasing of words as you try to dominate the mind. That's something you actually have to know is possible before trying it, likely having seen someone else actually do it before.

I will still admit that we do not know the power or skill level necessary for each, so I am fine with setting the two techniques as equal on both skill and power level. However, the mind dominance skill is still something that requires you to actually know about it before trying it while telekenisis is something you can excuse as something you could accidentally use in a desperate enough situation. This being the case, we could just as easily chalk this one up to bad writing rather than anything else.

Bad writing is something rather consistent in the starwars sequel trilogy. The thing that is a lot less excusable is the part where the team is looking for her and they all basically go "there she is" as she has already rescued herself.

Basically, the entire point of that badly written scene was to demonstrate Rey using the force somehow, and they chose the worst force power to justify when they did it. Plot wise, it would have made just as much sense for her to get out of it by being rescued by the team. But, if you really don't like that, then a good alternative would be her being behind a forcefield and gets lucky because the guard is lazy and wanders off, figuring there's no problem because she's behind the forcefield. Then, she uses force telekenisis to flick the lever that controls the forcefield. That would have been quite a bit more acceptable.

Again, I am perfectly agreeable to chalking this one up to bad writing.

Also, we did see Kylo Ren was weakened by his fight with Fynn, and it did seem him killing Han effected him on an emotional level, so maybe he was not at his best with his first fight with Rey.

Rather than the argument of Rey being too skilled, I think the better argument here would be that Kylo is too conveniently unskilled compared to what he ought to be. I have actually done some traditional swordsmanship and am familiar with both Budo and HIMA. So, I can say that Darth Vader's technique is fairly spot on in Empire (Luke's is rather atrocious, but that kinda fits as well,) but ALL of the swordplay in the sequel trillogy is aweful, and it actually gets worse with each subsequent movie in the trilogy. It is barely passable in TFA, the throne room fightscene at the end of TLJ is the unholy love child between a **** show and a complete mess, and I can't speak on ROS because I never watched it.

(I do know she demonstrated force powers previously unseen in the Star Wars universe though, which is the single most unavoidably Mary Sue thing about her. Even that levitating while orbiting rocks around her thing in the trailers is way off the charts compared to previously established stuff.)

Anyway, I will give a little ground based on your justification, but at the end of the day it all boils down to this. You can justify Rey's victories all you want, but the real problem with her character is that she never really tastes failure. Nothing like what Luke got at the end of Empire. (Getting captured in TFA gets nullified by the fact she got out herself without assistance from anyone.)

At the very least, it's bad writing. The compounding of it all though adds up to this. She can do anything better than anybody and the one and only thing she is unable to do is fail. That makes her a Mary Sue.

I challenge you on this. Name one thing by the end of ROS that someone else can beat her at. Now, this was a rumor I heard, I will admit to that, but I heard that in ROS she demonstrates herself to be a better pilot than Poe. That one was the single last thing somebody else could have been better than her at. Even if it was down to just that one thing, in the sea of other things she was better than everyone else at she would have still qualified as a Mary Sue. The only thing taking away that one thing does is it removes the last shield defenders of Rey against the Mary Sue title could have hidden behind.

Again where is the training session for James Bond?
Or Luke for that matter between ANH and ESB?
How did he learn the Jedi Mind trick in ROTJ?
We never saw his training session on how to do it on camera, most of that is in the extended universe.
I mean can you see where I am getting at right?

I mentioned James Bond in a previous comment. He is an MI6 agent. Being an agent implies training previous to him being on camera. Rey was a scavanger on a desert planet. That means there is no room for implied training, and all the training she might have had needs to be specifically called out, mentioned, and justified because her background does not imply anything for her.

As for Luke, I already covered that. He had no real noticable jump in power between ANH and ESB, and the only move he did perform before getting training can be excused by the situation. As for the mind trick, we know he got training on Degobah and he did see Obi-wan use the mind trick. That's enough establishment for it to justify him using it. Force choke, which he also used in ROTJ, is only really an application of telekenisis.

All I said is that you need to justify the power and skill set. Training is only 1 form of justification. It's the most straight forward justification, but there are others. Most others don't really apply here though, it's things like Kriptonian DNA justifying Superman's powers. There are also situational justifications like what you did on arguing on the Kylo VS. Rey fight in TFA, or Luke being able to pull the lightsaber from the snow in ESB. Those are only 1 time justifications for single specific situations though, and it feels cheap and too coincidental if you keep giving situational justifications too often. Luke gets his situational justification record wiped when he gets thoroughly defeated at the end of ESB, and driven down to his lowest point. Rey never had a situation where she had a failure significant enough to clear her situational victory record. (That's really more writing than anything else though, but it still relates to how the fans perceive the character.)

At the end of the day though, some form of training is the thing that justifies things most effectively and in the most situations. Training can also be implied, such as the case of James Bond. In order to have the training be implied though, you need to actually credibly imply it. MI6 agent is a position where you would have to be an idiot to assume he got there without training, and there for his status as an MI6 agent does more than imply training. It actually makes it so you would have to show proof and justification in order to argue he didn't have training, just from hearing his affiliation.

Training under a teacher is not really necessary either, all having a master does is justify the training (yes, that's the thing about training. The justification itself also needs a justification (justifiception!)) Without the master to teach, you need to show where they would have gotten exposure to that skill to justify the self-training. With Rey being a scavanger, we could justify some implied self-training in identifying valuable parts, how to ration food, how to negotiate, and how to deal with street scum. Those four skills are very easily justified through implied self-training, but you need a little more justification to demonstrate ship repair and how to combat skilled soldiers. For example, this is another flaw in the writing. They could have actually very easily justified her ability to repair the Falcon if they just changed 1 thing and said Rey was trying to buy the falcon off the current owner in order to use it to get off the planet and had been running maintenance on it in preparation. Just that one bit of backstory would justify everything, and it could have just been a slipped in line. But, they didn't, and thus it's an unjustified skill.

Incredible talent is also a justification, but that only justifies quick learning or better results in self-training. They still need to have either exposure or be placed in a situation where you can say they would have picked up the skill out of necessity. If you are going the later route, you also need to either keep the skill to levels where it's believable given the situation or demonstrate other people were in that situation and responded to it in a similar way.

If you use the incredible talent justification, your character will be accused of being a Mary Sue unless you are extremely careful and put extra work into the justifications. Talent is one of those 1 step forward 2 steps back justifications where you actually need to try even harder as a writer to justify every single skill they pick up in order to avoid Mary Sue treatment for your character.

(An example of a character who pulled off the talent card right would be one of my absolute favorite characters. Rudeus Greyrat form Mushoku Tensei. He has talent, but every skill he has is justified through training that shows exactly step by step how he acquired it. Also, he fails constantly. Almost everything goes wrong for him in the short run, and he only just barely manages to keep everyone alive at the end of the day. He constantly tastes failure. And, he grows as a person for it. I would also like to add, I said Rudeus was my favorite character, not my favorite person. As a person, especially in the first half of the story, he's a disgusting pig. He's completely unlikeable. If he was a real person, I would want him nowhere near me. However, that is part of what makes him a good character. Being too perfect and without flaws that would turn you off of the person makes them inhuman, and also raises Mary Sue flags left and right. That's something to keep in mind about character flaws. If you are giving a character a flaw, it should not be something that makes them endearing. Endearing flaws are Mary Sue flaws. If you are going to give them a flaw, it should be something that would loose them friends in real life. Rudeus has a lot of those. Almost too many.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

Yeah, I mean I'm not into Miraculous ladybug, but I get its appeal for sure, I'm aware it has its adult fans which is what animation should do in general appeal to as much of a demographic as possible.
I come from the Don Bluth school of animation where even if its for kids doesn't mean it has to be dumbed down though Bluth did make that mistake in his later films.
Guys, just for the record, I'm not trying to argue against Miraculous ladybug. One can like and at the same give some critique on it.
I am simply just pointing out as some have commented in other places that, yes, there is still some Mary Sue characteristics in Marinette.
I still like the show and Marinette. Its bubbly and light-hearted. Nothing wrong with saying how you like a show, but there are some things too.

They could also appeal to adult fans even thu its mostly catered to kids. But think they tried to really tone it down so yeah. I think they want it completely innocent, light-hearted kind of stuff everyone can enjoy. Recently learned one studio got fired bc the way they animated the characters there was some pause in animation that showed some "indecent hidden message."

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
In modern terminology, Mary Sue is someone who achieves something unearned. Has powers or abilities or skills that they didn't work for.

You mention Rey and James Bond and I'll go with them since I actually know them.

Rey is a Mary Sue because she doesn't do anything to achieve her victories. She's a pro at piloting a ship. . . for some reason. She can use the force and win a lightsaber fight. . . for some reason. Compare that with Luke. It was established that Luke was a pilot, and he barely used the force at all early on. His first lightsaber fight wasn't until the second movie after he had trained and he got decimated.

James Bond is not a Mary Sue. He's cool spy action man, sure, but he's MI6. He trained for his job. He trained years to shoot guns and seduce women (literally).

It's all about build up and pay off. It's used more because people are becoming more literate in those sort of terms thanks to sites like tv tropes and forums in general.

For my money, the most Mary Sue of all them all is Kvothe from Name of the Wind. Just awful.