The Uno card

doravg

136/4001 (finally counted the stories)
You know how pretty much every writer's dream is to write full-time. And, honestly, I believed that would be heaven for me too, when I lost my job last year.

It was HELL.

The thing about writing full-time that no one will tell you, is that you end up isolated. And, if you don't make money off your writing, you have your whole town treating you like an infectious and shameful person.

But now, I have come to a realization. Writing is not the main course, writing is the forbidden chocolate ice cream with strawberry sauce and banana slices. Writing is something to be done just because, not because you have nothing else to do. It is not supposed to mean you have to have a quota, or not go out the whole day, or, heaven forbid, I hadn't done that, but I heard some writers did it, not shower until your stench makes you pass out.

Things at the office are going, in which direction, I don't know. One of the people I considered my friends used underhanded tactics to test my German, everything is smiles, no one tells me when I do something wrong. Or right, for that matter.

But I know for a fact I won't go back to the jobless hell. No, I don't care if I get kicked out or something, I can find myself another job. The people who got kicked out by now did, so I can as well.

For writing is the sweetest when it is just a stolen luxury. A moment during a day which passed you by.

Comfort hobby, the balm to the soul.

Happy writing, everyone! =)

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
It is very rare for people to make an art their job and succeed. Anyone could make money, but it is much harder to make a living off it.
It is very rare for people to make an art their job and succeed. Anyone could make money, but it is much harder to make a living off it.
Making your passion your career is also risky. It could mean that you enjoy it less. There is a difference between doing something for fun and doing it to survive.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
As is true in most jobs, but 85% of success in writing for money comes from marketing and presentation. Only 15% of success in the field comes from having a top tier story. It's mostly just having a "good enough" story, and making sure eyes see said story.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Is it wrong that the title of this post reminded me of this?

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I say this basicly everytime a somewhat tangentially related thread pops up but.

There are lots of writing writing jobs other than creative writing. Technical writing is a huge field, and you can become very successful from it.

A guy I know used to write user manuals for computers, he wasn't an engineer or programmer he was a writer and translated the words of the engineers and presented it ij terms a customer could understand. Dude made massive bank and was crazy successful from that and similar writing jobs.

I think someone who can learn to love writing in general and not just creative writing can become hugely successful. If you're currently in school even if you aren't there for english/literature I recommend taking a technical writing elective.

doravg

136/4001 (finally counted the stories)
I say this basicly everytime a somewhat tangentially related thread pops up but.

There are lots of writing writing jobs other than creative writing. Technical writing is a huge field, and you can become very successful from it.

A guy I know used to write user manuals for computers, he wasn't an engineer or programmer he was a writer and translated the words of the engineers and presented it ij terms a customer could understand. Dude made massive bank and was crazy successful from that and similar writing jobs.

I think someone who can learn to love writing in general and not just creative writing can become hugely successful. If you're currently in school even if you aren't there for english/literature I recommend taking a technical writing elective.
I am 29, not in school anymore.