Thoughts on sound effects (onomatopoeia)?

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
it only doesnt mesh if its not a heavy action scene, if you dont write action dont add onomatopeia. but if you write big anime fights that are like fucking dragon ball then why not add BOOM! and CLASH! every now and then? it's not like your readers aren't weebs used to action mangas already, I dont write books for boring old boomers that want proffessionally written stories, fuck that.
It being an action scene doesn't change anything, it carries the same flaws, there are the same, better options, and it conveys the same feeling of awkwardness to the reader. Novels are not comic books. It is impossible (or, nigh impossible at least, just to cover my ass) to integrate onomatopoeia naturally into the medium, and it WILL feel weird to readers.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
They are a tool that I use in my writing style, and I find that they are often effective in action scenes, suspense, or situations where sounds play an important role. Alternatively, I like the Action - Reaction approach, such as a simple and loud BOOM followed by a description of the explosion event.

Moreover, onomatopoeias can be formatted distinctively (italics or uppercase) to make them stand out. This can help capture the reader's attention and emphasize the impact of the sound. In my opinion, they add liveliness and a visual touch to the narration, making the action more immersive for the reader.

Of course, it depends on the genre: they work better in fantasy and science fiction, while in more serious or literary genres, their use should be more measured.

TwistedRomcom

I think they work in the right context, but they should be used sparingly. Here's an example of something I did in a chapter.

Rattle, rattle.

A sound came from behind me. It took a moment to register, but then the hairs on the nape of my neck rose. I turned my head slowly towards the door, praying that the sound had been another trick my mind was playing on me.

Rattle, rattle, rattle.

Someone was trying to twist the handle from the other side and found it locked just as I had. I froze, attempting to remain absolutely silent. It was probably just a student coming back late… But just in case, I didn’t want them to know I was here.

PancakesWitch

It being an action scene doesn't change anything, it carries the same flaws, there are the same, better options, and it conveys the same feeling of awkwardness to the reader. Novels are not comic books. It is impossible (or, nigh impossible at least, just to cover my ass) to integrate onomatopoeia naturally into the medium, and it WILL feel weird to readers.
Well its not impossible for me. Ive read very beloved webnovels and light novels full of these that have sold millions... So I believe its fine

Cosmictapestry

An example of how I use it:

Ignoring her words, Theomund lunged, his blade poised to end the fight. But instead, a thunderous CRACK split the sky open. Theomund crumpled, clutching his chest, blood blooming against his pristine white suit. Everyone held their breath as the only sound was the click of high heels echoing through the ruines. Theomund's gaze shot up. Above him, Eydis stood, a rifle smoking in her hand. Her golden eyes, usually radiant, flickered with an unfamiliar pang of pain.

But I have a low tolerance for onomatopoeias in smut scenes. That’s just my personal preference; many readers don’t mind them.

GlassRose

Well its not impossible for me. Ive read very beloved webnovels and light novels full of these that have sold millions... So I believe its fine
Popularity does not equal quality. And I believe we should aim for the best out of principle, rather than just good enough. If you're not striving for an ideal, then why bother living?
An example of how I use it:

Ignoring her words, Theomund lunged, his blade poised to end the fight. But instead, a thunderous CRACK split the sky open. Theomund crumpled, clutching his chest, blood blooming against his pristine white suit. Everyone held their breath as the only sound was the click of high heels echoing through the ruines. Theomund's gaze shot up. Above him, Eydis stood, a rifle smoking in her hand. Her golden eyes, usually radiant, flickered with an unfamiliar pang of pain.

But I have a low tolerance for onomatopoeias in smut scenes. That’s just my personal preference; many readers don’t mind them.
That doesn't read like a mere onomatopoeia, it reads like a descriptive sentence, with a word emphasized in a somewhat uncommon but ultimately not particularly detrimental manner.

PancakesWitch

Popularity does not equal quality. And I believe we should aim for the best out of principle, rather than just good enough. If you're not striving for an ideal, then why bother living?

That doesn't read like a mere onomatopoeia, it reads like a descriptive sentence, with a word emphasized in a somewhat uncommon but ultimately not particularly detrimental manner.
Shut up man, damn!
👊
BAAM!
👊
BAAM!
👊
BAAM!

3guanoff

It depends on the genre. I believe a good action novel needs them. But a philosophical contemporary fiction maybe not.

GlassRose

Shut up man, damn!
👊
BAAM!
👊
BAAM!
👊
BAAM!
Nay, knave!

Fists flew, whistling as they met naught but air. Heralded by nothing but a crisp clink, there was a flash. The attacker stumbled forward, boots scuffing as they kicked up dust. The attacker's body, divested of it's lower half, toppled, hitting the ground with a sickening, wet thud. Standing over the warm corpse, was a black-haired figure. The only sound came from the wiping of cloth on steel, as the figure calmly cleaned their sword, before re-sheathing it with the same click that heralded it's bare-ing.

MDupree

Something like “Tick...tick...tick.” being used in a tense scene where a clock on the wall of the room the MC is being held is in the only sound (s)he can hear, won't bother me even though it is still onomatopoeia, since it serves a purpose of indicating repetition, I guess, so it's more the use case and frequency than a hard yes or no for me.

GlassRose

I feel like I should adjust my stance. Onomatopoeia isn't a problem, stand-alone onomatopoeia is. You can use it in a sentence just fine, eg "the door opened with a bang", "clanging of swords being bashed against each other", but just going "bang" "clang" is lazy and poor writing and it doesn't read well at all. Even if you follow it up with a visual that conveys the same information it's a loss, the problem is that it isn't integrated into the text, so it feels out-of-context, which disrupts the flow in a clumsy way that throws the reader out of the writing.

Last edited: