Thoughts on "unwanted" feedback

KuruKinaar

Many times, people post their stories for people to read. Some readers take it upon themselves to critique and make corrections, without asking beforehand.
In my experience, this upsets writers at times because they didn't ask to be told what they've done wrong in their writing. I have also had someone correct my work without asking me, and it has it's negative effects.

One thing I find is when you start editing your work while writing it, it ruins the creative flow and causes the mind to focus more on writing properly rather than just having fun writing. That most likely is one of the reasons why people don't like unwanted feedback.

But basically, what are your thoughts? Should people ask the author if they want feedback, or do you think its fine that someone just gives feedback regardless the situation?

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
On my case, depends on how they are giving me feedback. Since English is not my first language, is normal that I have gramatical mistake here and there, some times people comment things like: this word should be this one, this other should be written on past in this way, feedback like that is always welcome

Now if is the same situation, but the comment is just: grammar errors everywhere, if the author cannot even write on the glorious English Language of my loved American , I am not going to even read it, also he uses kilometer instead of miles per eagles, also he writes a harem novel and I despite that theme, despite being correctly Tag, so negative review and 1 start, also I am going to insult every decision you make for your story

Yeah, fuck you, you are just making the problem worse and not helping

Sylver

I'm a bit starved for attention, so i too wonder how I'd react to this kind of feedback. I might appreciate their time instead of feeling cranky or crossed :blob_evil_two:

But I can see it becoming an issue, and I 100% agree with what you said about editing and proofreading killing the flow of writing. I need me an editor to do that for me :blob_sweat: because I keep hearing that the early portion of my novel needs proofreading.

It doesn't help that I'm dyslexic either so :blob_teehee:

BernKatstel

Witch of miracles/Miracle feline
Depends. I love receiving harsh, unforgiving critique of all sorts, even if it doesn’t tell me much. I always assume my writing has plenty of errors. That’s why I am grateful to receive what basically amounts to free editing or feedback from people that took the time to spot/mention any mistakes. If they are assholes about it, I’ll tell them to fuck off, but not without taking their words into consideration anyways.

prognastat

As long as it's polite and constructive feedback I more than welcome it. There are plenty of times I typo something or make a grammatical error. if someone can call it out so I can fix it without having to pay for an actual editor I'm more than happy to take the feedback. Doesn't mean I'm always going to act on or implement the feedback, but more often than not it's still helpful.

If they're rude I just ignore them. Or if I'm in a petty mood shit talk them.

Being able to separate useful and not useful criticism is a useful skill to cultivate as a content creator of any type.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
I did grow from criticism so my writting improved.. heck just keep yourself open.. as long as it's readable enough to be 80- 85% you can pretty much ignore the critique of the nitpicks from others. I actually do go back read what I wrote and correct it if I find it bothersome.

Sometimes they really help out with issues that you somehow ignored to clean out...

It does not take away your creative output tbh.. just don't get discouraged.. I was roasted so damn hard for my very first novel writing attempt and it

rightfully so on royal road.. the amount of hate and 1 star review I got was bruh.. soul crushing. Stil it just made me what to write better.

The recent series of mine like journey to Eden prime was far better attempt.. I just have issues maintaining a schedule because of my office..

Just be open broad minded about it.. my first story still is like 3.2 on royal road.. but there was this one guy that commended me for what I had the vision for..

People are assholes true but you can't let theor blind you. Rating don't matter as much. Unless your trying to be a pro .. people are also really supportive as well... You will find your audience.. soon.. just keep writing stories..

Obsoleteness

I don't have an issue if someone points out any spelling errors so I can fix them. Free proofreaders? Yes, please. Constructive feedback that can help me improve is also welcome, I can't write for shit after all. That doesn't mean that I will change anything, but it always helps to get another perspective.

However, if someone just comes along and complains that the story didn't happen the way they imagined then they can just sod off. They obviously have a keyboard since they put in the effort to complain, so they can just write their own story the way they want. Just ignore it and relish the fact that you now live rent-free in their head. :blob_cookie:

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
I did grow from criticism so my writting improved.. heck just keep yourself open.. as long as it's readable enough to be 80- 85% you can pretty much ignore the critique of the nitpicks from others. I actually do go back read what I wrote and correct it if I find it bothersome.

Sometimes they really help out with issues that you somehow ignored to clean out...

It does not take away your creative output tbh.. just don't get discouraged.. I was roasted so damn hard for my very first novel writing attempt and it

rightfully so on royal road.. the amount of hate and 1 star review I got was bruh.. soul crushing. Stil it just made me what to write better.

The recent series of mine like journey to Eden prime was far better attempt.. I just have issues maintaining a schedule because of my office..

Just be open broad minded about it.. my first story still is like 3.2 on royal road.. but there was this one guy that commended me for what I had the vision for..

People are assholes true but you can't let theor blind you. Rating don't matter as much. Unless your trying to be a pro .. people are also really supportive as well... You will find your audience.. soon.. just keep writing stories..

If you take out the feedback then it pretty much takes the fun out it.. it a give and take you publish a story, people will Definitely give you input because they might like it enough.. nobody gives feedback unless they find it interesting..

BlackKnightX

It's within the reader's right to leave whatever comment they want. If you don't like it or think it leaves a negative impact on new readers, you can just delete it.

Personally, I value every criticism, but that doesn't mean I take every one of them to heart. As an author, I have my own goal and purpose. I know exactly the kind of story I want to write, so if a criticism can help me improve in the direction I'm going, then I welcome it fully. If it goes against what I'm trying to do in the first place, then I can just ignore it.

Like I said, I truly believe readers have the right to comment whatever the hell they want to comment. And you, the author, also have the right to choose whether to take something to heart or not. You also have the right to delete whatever you deem as bad for your story. That's why that option exists in the first place.

It's fair game.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
As an author who receives plenty of unasked for negative feedback on royalroad, I can say unequivocally that if I choose to publish something I have no right to control the speech of others, nor should they police their own speech by catering to my ego.

This is one of the oldest and most thought about philosophical ideas. One's ego (in this case the author's) wishes to believe they are always correct and righteous. The ego will fight, struggle, and demand that any negative criticism is wrong and unjust as a defense mechanism to try to prevent self change. By learning to control the ego response one more easily grows as an individual to be better than they used to be.

Learning to read harsh, unrequested criticisms is an important skill. The first few I received made me incredibly angry, to the degree that I thought about quiting writing. Now I take them in stride, and my writing is significantly better for it. I want to tell my story as best I can, that is my goal. My goal is not to be ego stroked by random strangers online.

Daitengu

Sounds like an ego problem to me.

If they really don't care what people say, why are they reading comments at all? There are many authors who at least act like they don't read what their readers say and keep on doing their thing.

As such I think it's purely narcissistic to read comments and get mad about it when people aren't being flying monkeys to echo chamber some false greatness.

doravg

106/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
Many times, people post their stories for people to read. Some readers take it upon themselves to critique and make corrections, without asking beforehand.
In my experience, this upsets writers at times because they didn't ask to be told what they've done wrong in their writing. I have also had someone correct my work without asking me, and it has it's negative effects.

One thing I find is when you start editing your work while writing it, it ruins the creative flow and causes the mind to focus more on writing properly rather than just having fun writing. That most likely is one of the reasons why people don't like unwanted feedback.

But basically, what are your thoughts? Should people ask the author if they want feedback, or do you think its fine that someone just gives feedback regardless the situation?
I know how you feel, it is why I left RR. One thing I figured out as the time went by, though:

Ignore the readers. If they give a correction, like if you have made a typo, correct it and move on. They are not pointing it out to hurt you or because they want to be mean. They feel that they need to get the most buck for their time. Nothing more, nothing less.

That said, if anyone asked me to rewrite something, I'd ignore their asses. As if I'd waste my time with rewriting...

ATRUNA

I find every criticism to be good criticism in a way, it just has to make sense. So i don't mind unwanted feedback. :)

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
It mostly depend how they said it, if it's to help or not, a few helped me correct some mistake I made and didn't ask before doing it. i'm happy they did it since that make the experience for the next reader better.
But if they start the edit suggestion/correction by saying that I'm a piece of shit who can't write properly and made a mistake there and there and there, then they can just fuck off.
Well, that never happen to me yet.

There was no problem on any feedback I get for now, the only "problem" I got was a review (I don't think you can consider that a feedback) when the reviewer litteraly write bullshit that prove how much he/she had read the story and didn't understand it at all, but that happen and we can't do anything about them, so just let them be, anoying you help them have a better day.

Glitched

Moth Mommy
Idc tbh. Read it, make change if needed, move on. Anon's will stay anonymous so I could care less.

Daitengu

I know how you feel, it is why I left RR. One thing I figured out as the time went by, though:

Ignore the readers. If they give a correction, like if you have made a typo, correct it and move on. They are not pointing it out to hurt you or because they want to be mean. They feel that they need to get the most buck for their time. Nothing more, nothing less.

That said, if anyone asked me to rewrite something, I'd ignore their asses. As if I'd waste my time with rewriting...
Dunno about others, but for me, I only start doing spelling and grammar corrections when I'm invested in the story and would like others to enjoy it more.

doravg

106/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
Dunno about others, but for me, I only start doing spelling and grammar corrections when I'm invested in the story and would like others to enjoy it more.
I do those before posting the chapter. But whatever works for you, Daitengu.