Tipping culture

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I mean, I think tipping is a good thing, at least from the POV of an American. People in the service industry don't get paid as much as they deserve, and that's all because the government wanted to promote tipping by lowering minimum wage for waiters, cashiers, and the like so that companies don't have to pay their employees. It's a screwed system, and I don't know why we haven't ammended that law yet.

However, now tips are starting to get out of hand. Now every business that doesn't even employ a service is trying to get tips out of people. Tips have also become mandatory deductions on certain online sites that you have to opt out of instead of it being the other way around as it should be.

So my answer to this question is yes and no, but mostly leaning to yes.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I'm old fashioned.
If I buy the product directly from you and I go and pick it up, no tip. Sorry, that's baked into the price.
if someone else transports the food to me, they get a tip. This includes anyone from UberEats to a waitress. I don't care if it's 10 feet or ten miles.

However, asking me to tip WHEN I PICK UP MY MEDICATION FROM THE PHARMACY IS FUCKIN' INSANE.
ASKING ME TO TIP BECAUSE YOU ARE MAKING MY SUB IS INSANE.

DO I HAVE THE FUCKIN' OPTION TO GO BACK THERE AND MAKE IT MYSELF? NO. They you have not EARNED a tip.
A TIP is when someone DOES SOMETHING FOR YOU THAT YOU COULD HAVE DONE YOURSELF BUT YOU WERE TOO DAMN LAZY TO DO IT.

If I DO NOT HAVE THE OPTION TO DO IT INSTEAD OF SOMEONE ELSE, GET FUCKED FOR ASKING ME TO TIP.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Do you think tipping culture is getting out of hand?
Not that I know of. In your case, there shouldn't be any issue, judging by your profile pic. Unless you are Murican.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

As a Southeast Asian, I can't relate.

Like other non-Muricans say: if you can't pay your workers regular wage (and rely on tips for them to get by), then why do business?

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
As someone who has worked in the service industry for a while, tipping is a blessing. It has allowed me to pay the bills at times when I couldn't. However, I think that tipping is stupid because it makes it so that businesses don't have to pay their employees a livable wage, especially in this time of inflation. Though I still tip when I go to restaurants because I know that they ain't getting paid enough otherwise

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
As a Southeast Asian, I can't relate.

Like other non-Muricans say: if you can't pay your workers regular wage (and rely on tips for them to get by), then why do business?
The big issue is this, restaurant profit margin in america is 1-6% on average.

This has a lot to do with red tape, government fees, etc… so hiring workers in some states (not all states) requires they pay the least possible to stay competitive with the market.

Also, if dining out costs more then people eat out less so workers will be fired.

The issue is like American Healthcare, the established powers have their money and the best way to fix the system (which is resetting it) is impossible because people don’t understand why it’s so messed up in the first place.

Restaurant industry isn’t as complicated as healthcare by the way.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
No such thing as tipping in Australia or SEA. Unless you use Uber or something, but I genuinely don't know a single person that's used the tipping feature.
this. no such thing as tipping culture in Aus. people might tip some spare change at a bar or cafe on a rare occasion but that's about it in my experience. because we pay a decent, and legally enforced, minimum wage compared to America.

SailusGebel

You won't have any problems with tips and tipping culture if you are poor.

D

Deleted member 54065

The big issue is this, restaurant profit margin in america is 1-6% on average.

This has a lot to do with red tape, government fees, etc… so hiring workers in some states (not all states) requires they pay the least possible to stay competitive with the market.
From the looks of it, this is a consequence of unrestricted capitalism.

Also, if dining out costs more then people eat out less so workers will be fired.

The issue is like American Healthcare, the established powers have their money and the best way to fix the system (which is resetting it) is impossible because people don’t understand why it’s so messed up in the first place.

Restaurant industry isn’t as complicated as healthcare by the way.
My question is this, does US have something like a wage board? Because if this is in the Philippines, that business would be long closed down.

I mean, I'm not saying our system is better off, but at least there's some sense of regulation, and we tip people because we genuinely love their service (if provided). Otherwise, it's normal for us not to tip because employers should be paying their employees regular wages.

Paul_Tromba

this. no such thing as tipping culture in Aus. people might tip some spare change at a bar or cafe on a rare occasion but that's about it in my experience. because we pay a decent, and legally enforced, minimum wage compared to America.
Our minimum wage is legally enforced but it's hilariously low. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour while the average of most states is $9 an hour. The highest is $15.74 an hour but the living wage of that state is $19.58 an hour.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
legit did my senior project about tipping in America and tldr it mostly stemmed from bribes happening during the prohibition and businesses saw that they could pay their workers less and encourage tipping to pick up the slack so I'm pro-tipping but much more pro-pay a decent GD wage so we can stop tipping as a whole, at least how it is.
I would pull up slides or something from my project but the literal second I graduated I basically burned or buried all my schoolwork away like ding dong the witch is dead type a deal

Paul_Tromba

From the looks of it, this is a consequence of unrestricted capitalism.

My question is this, does US have something like a wage board? Because if this is in the Philippines, that business would be long closed down.

I mean, I'm not saying our system is better off, but at least there's some sense of regulation, and we tip people because we genuinely love their service (if provided). Otherwise, it's normal for us not to tip because employers should be paying their employees regular wages.
What America has can't even be called capitalism anymore because of how it's run and managed.