Trending ranking awareness

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I don't know if this has already been requested nor do I know if there is already a way to do this so if there is just let me know. What I would like to request is an area in the rankings part of the statistics page that tells you and any readers looking at the statistics page when a story is ranked in trending. This wouldn't appear unless if the story is within the top 100 or so in trending so authors can know when they get to trending rather than finding out from another source, seeing it on accident, or just not learning about their achievement at all. It would also allow for readers to know if a story they are looking at is popular at the moment.

Erys

Her Highness
Isn't this already implemented?
Screenshot_2022-05-28-21-03-40-05.jpg

Katsuya

So, pretty much, finding out that you're on the trending list? I very much agree with that. I know I won't be on it, but I look everyday just in case, you know? so yeah, I agree with this one.

Thanks, Paul-kun.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
This is an awful idea. When you do this you’ll have authors who start obsessing over trending and rankings to a toxic degree the way they do on Royal Road. Where a single number is all they ever look at or care about when it’s really just a meaningless metric. It’s plastered in your face the second you open up the dashboard on RR so it becomes implanted and reinforced in your mind. It’s best if you aren’t aware. Ignorance is bliss.

BluePheasant

This is an awful idea. When you do this you’ll have authors who start obsessing over trending and rankings to a toxic degree the way they do on Royal Road. Where a single number is all they ever look at or care about when it’s really just a meaningless metric. It’s plastered in your face the second you open up the dashboard on RR so it becomes implanted and reinforced in your mind. It’s best if you aren’t aware. Ignorance is bliss.
Okay, then how about only authors knowing the rankings, not the readers. That way authors will know where they are and how much they have to go through. It will help authors to get motivated to write more. Tag rankings don't really help much for the newer writers cz it depends on the view.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Okay, then how about only authors knowing the rankings, not the readers. That way authors will know where they are and how much they have to go through. It will help authors to get motivated to write more. Tag rankings don't really help much for the newer writers cz it depends on the view.
Authors knowing is the problem. Readers typically don’t even really care about the rankings, it’s the authors that care because it gives them visibility. But then constantly seeing that ranking all the time ends up becoming their focus. It leads to paranoia where some authors are obsessed with that single number and are constantly checking it multiple times a day to the point it’s unhealthy. It ends up affecting their mood and even hindering their ability to write rather than serving as motivation because all it takes when ranking is heavily weighted on overall rating is a single one star to slip many positions down the rankings. But in ScribbleHub’s trending case, its even more volatile as it can jump all over the place from one day to the next.

Imagine being a day trader and the stress that comes with the volatility in the markets. That’s the final destination of rankings for many authors who can’t forget the rankings. Pushing it in their face in the author’s stats dashboard or just anywhere in general for them to easily check is a bad idea for that reason. It’s better if it’s a pain in the ass to check.

Paul_Tromba

Authors knowing is the problem. Readers typically don’t even really care about the rankings, it’s the authors that care because it gives them visibility. But then constantly seeing that ranking all the time ends up becoming their focus. It leads to paranoia where some authors are obsessed with that single number and are constantly checking it multiple times a day to the point it’s unhealthy. It ends up affecting their mood and even hindering their ability to write rather than serving as motivation because all it takes when ranking is heavily weighted on overall rating is a single one star to slip many positions down the rankings. But in ScribbleHub’s trending case, its even more volatile as it can jump all over the place from one day to the next.

Imagine being a day trader and the stress that comes with the volatility in the markets. That’s the final destination of rankings for many authors who can’t forget the rankings. Pushing it in their face in the author’s stats dashboard or just anywhere in general for them to easily check is a bad idea for that reason. It’s better if it’s a pain in the ass to check.
I see your point and agree with you. However, I think that there is some miscommunication on my part. I just want a function to tell people that they made it to trending. Trending isn't something that people get all the time. Maybe they'll be trending once or never at all. What I want is just a simple notification to tell them that they are on the trending list. There are a few stories that get trending all the time but most people will never know if they accomplished that so I want them to know that they were good enough to get to trending. For some that could be all that they needed to continue writing. Plus, there is already a ranking system that most authors on this site check daily.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
I see your point and agree with you. However, I think that there is some miscommunication on my part. I just want a function to tell people that they made it to trending. Trending isn't something that people get all the time. Maybe they'll be trending once or never at all. What I want is just a simple notification to tell them that they are on the trending list. There are a few stories that get trending all the time but most people will never know if they accomplished that so I want them to know that they were good enough to get to trending. For some that could be all that they needed to continue writing. Plus, there is already a ranking system that most authors on this site check daily.
If people just want to know whether they’re on trending they can just filter out and exclude all the genres that aren’t on their story and include all the genres for their story. That will sort trending as well and they’ll likely show in the top 9 spots on the home page if they are anywhere on trending that day. If they are not and it has zero results it will just show normal trending.

As for getting any spots on trending that aren’t the top 9, it typically doesn’t do anything much in terms of traffic.

Paul_Tromba

If people just want to know whether they’re on trending they can just filter out and exclude all the genres that aren’t on their story and include all the genres for their story. That will sort trending as well and they’ll likely show in the top 9 spots on the home page if they are anywhere on trending that day. If they are not and it has zero results it will just show normal trending.

As for getting any spots on trending that aren’t the top 9, it typically doesn’t do anything much in terms of traffic.
You are correct about it not meaning much in terms of traffic but whether someone gets to trending is decided by an algorithm set up by Tony and no one knows how it works so filtering out genres wouldn't show that. It also would be too much work to filter out the other genres. Not that it would tell you if you were trending or not anyways.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger

The suggestion is to free the authors of the grind to check that

You are correct about it not meaning much in terms of traffic but whether someone gets to trending is decided by an algorithm set up by Tony and no one knows how it works so filtering out genres wouldn't show that. It also would be too much work to filter out the other genres. Not that it would tell you if you were trending or not anyways.
I think the idea is to search the trending list for your own work. You can sort by trending

Paul_Tromba

I think the idea is to search the trending list for your own work. You can sort by trending
True, but that can take a while and most people don't check it because it doesn't matter. It's really just an accomplishment with nothing else bound to it. That's why I put this in feature requests. Because most people want to know if they accomplished something.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
It also would be too much work to filter out the other genres. Not that it would tell you if you were trending or not anyways.
No, filtering out genres will limit what YOU personally see on the trending list specifically on the home page which is already implemented. So YOU will be able to at the very least KNOW if you’re on trending the day you log in and are at the home page when you limit it to specifically the genres in your story and exclude any genres not included in your story. If you show up alone or with a few others on the home page you know you’re on it that day.

It also isn’t any work at all, once you’ve applied the genre filters on your account once it stays that way for as long as you leave it like that.

To know when you’re not on trending is simple, either you will see less than nine stories on the home page without yours there which you most likely will or you see all nine slots filled. You’ll see the real trending list when the results of your genre filtering yields zero results for stories on trending.

This method does depend to a degree on how many genres you’ve listed in your story, but typically it works. But if you’re not even ranked above nine stories after filtering out the genres, what does it even matter whether you were 100+ on trending?

Last edited:

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
I will never get on trending, but I think that is a good idea for the people who have stories written in the popular genres. A trending for reviews would be nice, though. With the best daily review. It will help advertise stories.