Votes: 25 71.4%
  • no

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

HungrySheep

I like yuri
This is a boring trolly problem.

THERE IS A CIRCULAR TRACK.

On the track is a trolly. It is powered by electricity. It will never run out of power. It goes around and around. You have a switch. If you flip the switch, the trolly comes to a stop, then reverses direction. If you keep flipping it constantly, you can basically keep it still. If you stop, it takes about three minutes to complete a circle.

They chain a five year old girl on the tracks.
They lock you in a room with the switch and a window that lets you look right at the girl.
At best, you can time it so you can wait two minutes 59 seconds before flipping the switch, or she dies at 3 minutes.

They will not let you out until the girl is dead.
No Food. No water. No breaks.

So. What do you do?
Will you be convicted of murder if you do not flip the switch?

Jet

The hell? Isn't it the most obvious thing ever? I'm scared of the people here...
I don't care who's the one on the track. Be it my mother, best friend, whatever. I mean, sure it would feel quite sour... I also don't care how evil the 5 people are. Even if the one is an infant and those five are 80+ years olds. You always save five. Anyway, I'd always do. I'm not the one to judge the circumstances here. Saving 5 lives is better than one any day. How do we ensure the survival of our species if people can't solve something that simple... Jesus!

Last edited:

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
And thus we come to the problem with trolley problems. Reality rarely is binary. Everything has flaws, everything is subject to entropy, there is always a chance for a miracle.

You can never truly get an answer to the question, because its not the answer that matters. Are you a fatalistic who gives up, or are you someone who spends every moment looking for flaws in the system to exploit.
That's (I think) is the point of the trolley problem, it shows that sometimes you just can't apply morals to a situation or that there is sometimes no good answer at all, irl the man would have a problem no matter what he did.