Writing [Tutorial] When & How to Smut

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
i personally like smut that is both funny, surreal and erotic :D
Smut can be very humorous when one is not a participant. People do the strangest things when chasing orgasms.

...maybe i'm kinda weird but i like to see a story about a couple cosplaying as gorillas in public park and intrude on group of old people practicing tai'chi, they kept shouting 'hai ya' in the background.

but yea, i can't post it myself since i'm afraid people will get mind broken and they'll hack me. i prefer to just stick to normal stories to post :/
Screw other people! You should write what makes you happy! Sure, you'll probably have a small reading audience for that sort of story, but I guarantee that some people will read it -- even if it's just to see what the heck kind of crazy story you came up with.

...i feel that some of the weirdest smut ideas actually come from the news site. i still remember the family where the mom is actually the dad, and the dad is the mom.
No argument there! On the news, I've seen some truly horrifying (yet hilarious,) results of the crazy things that people do to make themselves happy.

...when things were just regular smut that made to get me hot and bothered, i often get bored. i was like, where's the funny part? well i just heard that sex and laughter makes a great combo, i forgot the source tho
Smut does get boring after a while, whether you're writing it or doing it because smut is a repetitive action. It's the psychological and emotional aspects that make smut refreshing and different -- especially in stories.

Smut and laughter are a great combo. You should write some.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i think i see smut in a different context, or even sex in webnovels in general. to me, they're like the cheese to a cheeseburger. you got the bun that is the characters, the meat that is the emotional investment, the lettuce that is the development, and the aforementioned cheese that is da sex. sure, some can do without others but not me; they're like a holy communion.

all too many times I see myself reading ecchi manga and go "why don't they just fuck? don't blue ball, just fuck. you BOTH want to pipe. go for it". it wasn't long until I realized that essentially, the reason that feeling persists is that the payoff isn't equivalent to the build-up. you showed me ass and tits In a sexual way for seven chapters and expect me to be okay with an "oopsie i fell down and now you're sniffing my ovary <3"? that's like swinging a horse dick in front of a chick for four straight hours and telling her she can only kiss it twice. at times, it just becomes a cop out, and the manga's entire development just stagnates to "i want to fuck her i want to fuck her" or "i want to fuck him i want to fuck him".

i believe sex is a gateway for characters to open up. the entire appeal of smut is the sex, yes, and what I'm saying is personal taste, but the aftercare is just as important. it's what separates the one night stand to a, well, better one night stand. fucking a big tiddy shy chick missionary is cool and all, but getting Amazonian mating pressed by the same big tiddy shy chick after she becomes more confident and starts to trust herself just gets the ol' meat shaft a tad harder than the former scenario.

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
i think i see smut in a different context, or even sex in webnovels in general. to me, they're like the cheese to a cheeseburger. you got the bun that is the characters, the meat that is the emotional investment, the lettuce that is the development, and the aforementioned cheese that is da sex. sure, some can do without others but not me; they're like a holy communion.
I'm going to have to agree 100%. ☕

all too many times I see myself reading ecchi manga and go "why don't they just fuck? ..." it wasn't long until I realized that essentially, the reason that feeling persists is that the payoff isn't equivalent to the build-up.
This happens when there is too much sexual tension and not enough Action and/or Emotional Content (angst/affection/hate) to balance that sexual tension out.

Horror novels and movies, believe it or not, run into a similar problem. Fear --like sexual tension-- can only be maintained for so long before the reader/viewer gets frustrated.

And you're right -- the payoff needs to match the level of tension built up to keep the reader/viewer satisfied, whether it's a gruesome murder in a horror story or a 10 page / 10,000 word smut scene.

Balancing out the tension is actually why so many American horror novels have some smut content.

Smut and Fear both invoke strong physical and visceral reactions in their readers. Because of this, the payoff of one can easily be swapped with a payment of the other.

i believe sex is a gateway for characters to open up. the entire appeal of smut is the sex, yes, and what I'm saying is personal taste, but the aftercare is just as important. it's what separates the one night stand to a, well, better one night stand. fucking a big tiddy shy chick missionary is cool and all, but getting Amazonian mating pressed by the same big tiddy shy chick after she becomes more confident and starts to trust herself just gets the ol' meat shaft a tad harder than the former scenario.
I'm just going to have to agree with this too. ☕

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Oh, if it is that hard, I can make it easier for you:

Now you'll also see, how I didn't agree with you. To think, that fiction has any bearings on reality is just... idiotic. It's like saying "That person liked a slasher movie, he is a mass murderer", "That person likes ego-shooters, he will become a school shooter", or the like.

The consume of fiction/media and the act in real life work on completely different areas of the brain, which also explains, why there are people who love brutal videos, but faint when they see three drops of real blood. Because it is not the same and it doesn't reflect anything.

I really hope, you don't like any kind of fiction or media where the MC kills a person (or there is any bad stuff in the novel you write yourself). Because, oh god, would that reflect badly on you. I guess, we should then throw you in jail, just to be sure :blob_cookie:

Maybe it is a bit clearer now? If not, feel free to send me a private message. Would be a shame to fil this thread with more useless discussion about a topic, that is proven to be wrong.
Hmm? In private? Maybe you should’ve thought of sending me a dm before right out insulting me? I’ll finish this and let the others complain if they want to. This is a public forum after all.

Now if you use those two round stuff on your face, I think it’s called eyes? If you use those eyes of yours, see how somone clarified it for me and I accepted it? Do you find it that satisfying dragging someone through the mud afterwards? That’s why I literally asked “oh it’s like this and that?”

Now don’t waste my time unless you want to go for useless banter. I admit my mistake but not to someone as condescending as you.
Ayo what in god's name is this shit. It's like a surface-level judgement for why people enjoy taboo fiction. In fact, this just reflects the priority you put about media's influence on the public in general. that's akin to saying women enjoyed 50 shades because they glorify being dominated by a wealthy individual. no wonder they're all vapid and shallow. it reflects a person a lot, right? hell no, of course not.

i can't believe we're about to have our monthly episode of "guess who can't separate fiction from reality". rape fics are about as influential as a masochist one shot. it appeals to various types of sexual dynamics with a splash of wank material to compliment the taste. they, and I emphasize this greatly, do not bring about any real-life consequences. people who beat the meat or slap the clam to rape fics will most likely disagree with the notion of rape because of the permanent effect it'll have on the victim. it's terrible and shitty, I don't think I need to tell you that.

rape fics, on the other hand, acknowledges this by bringing the appeal of domination onto words and pages where the most it'll harm are the trees and ink used to print the book out. in fact, it reflects a person positively when they opt to wank it out to rape fic, because if men were to TRULY glorify rape, they wouldn't read it from a webnovel. there's already plenty of fish out there in the sea. all they need is a van and a cloth wet with chloroform.

fiction is like a gate where the payment through it is rationality and empathy. it's optional, but you don't need to give them any, because at the end of the day, it's all fake, wrong, and inconsequential. if anything, I worry more about those who complain about proshippers or lolicons. if they're so convinced that fiction would indefinitely leak out into the real world and affect actual people, who's to say they themselves won't become the catalyst?

see? you even understood this in your next post. getting kidnapped by Don Joe would be horrible. this is why people write it out instead.
Then just delete that damn chapter you wrote to me. I literally had it clarified. You didn’t think to read all the comments? Just take a hot pile of shit on my comment and go?

LostLibrarian

Maybe you should’ve thought of sending me a dm before right out insulting me?
"if you use those two round stuff on your face" you would see, that I didn't insult you, but the utterly wrong stuff you were writing. Which, yeah, is a difference ;)

I admit my mistake but not to someone as condescending as you.
Oh yeah. "I talked utterly bullshit about something I had no idea of, making a broad asumption about all men in general, actually insulting them. But now I still need some way to play the victim card here, because I think someone was mean to me because of it."

Are you, by chance, discussing a lot of stuff on twitter? :blobrofl:

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
"if you use those two round stuff on your face" you would see, that I didn't insult you, but the utterly wrong stuff you were writing. Which, yeah, is a difference ;)

Oh yeah. "I talked utterly bullshit about something I had no idea of, making a broad asumption about all men in general, actually insulting them. But now I still need some way to play the victim card here, because I think someone was mean to me because of it."

Are you, by chance, discussing a lot of stuff on twitter? :blobrofl:
Eh is it bad for people to be wrong and learn that they were wrong and accept that?

BenJepheneT

Then just delete that damn chapter you wrote to me. I literally had it clarified. You didn’t think to read all the comments? Just take a hot pile of shit on my comment and go?
No, no I wouldn't. You went ahead, created a mass assumption regarding people's preferences on fiction, related it to a real-life statistics and drew parallels between the two. Just because you had an Eureka moment doesn't mean you're exempt from the responsibility of what you said. If you were to interpret my response to that as "taking a hot pile of shit on my comment", then yeah, I'm probably doing that, because claiming that men glorify rape and contribute to rape statistics via rape fics is something that deserves to get shit on, regardless of whether you "clarified". And that clarification doesn't even come close to the severity of your previous statement. "Men who read rape fics glorify them and that's probably why women are afraid of them. What you read/watch reflects on yourself" can't be excused with a "I guess people enjoy taboo things in fiction because they don't need to suffer the consequences". You just graced across the second half of the former like you didn't paint a broad stroke across fiction in general.

Once again I emphasize, you claimed a parallel between a demographic of a taboo fictional subject to a demographic of a crime statistic. That's a parallel I can take bigger and hotter piles of shit on.

LostLibrarian

Eh is it bad for people to be wrong and learn that they were wrong and accept that?
I never said that?
But "I didn't know" makes the stupid thing you did not any better either.

I personally just dislike people who have no idea what they are talking about, spout utter nonsense, and afterwards play the victim card because "you aren't nice to them." It's the perfect mix of "twitter discussion style" and "post-trump - my feelings are more important than scientific facts".

Sweet, the thread that started as a tutorial now might be locked due to drama. :blob_popcorn:
True that, I'll refrain myself from posting again. Maybe that can still save the thread from :blob_thor:

SailusGebel

I hope not... I'm trying to help people here.
I'm not accusing you. It's just the nature of this forum(forums in general?) when people derive the original topic. Smut is one of the themes that is rather sensitive, so it always invites a lot of discussions, and sometimes it's a very heated discussion.

LostLibrarian

Then let me get the thread a bit more back to topic:
I'm glad you liked the bit about Romance. It was one of the first genres I learned to write. However, I'm awful at writing emotions. No patience for proper angst.
Oh, I'm actually the same. "Proper romance" has a lot to do with "stalling". Either through society, or a third party, or just plain stupid characters. The typical "Just kiss already" reaction while reading it. I tried and failed miserable because all my stories ended too early :blobrofl:

On the other hand, I really like "romance" (and following that also "smut") as sub-genres to my stories. There you can stall it a lot easier through the actual main plot and the romance episodes are just a "fun interlude". Which is why I probably agree so much with your "romance smut" part as the actual "smut" is less... uhm... dominant in the writing. So those tips are directly usable for the romance-subgenre "after the kiss".

When I write a sex-scene (or parts of it), it's part of character development (or relationship development). So more than the physical description of every move, the actual emotions (or changing feelings) are the important part you build on afterwards.

BenJepheneT

That's just one half of the discussion. The other half comes when the "learn that they were wrong and accept that" amounts of nothing more than "well shit guess I'm wrong" without so much so acknowledging the severity of said wrong in the first place.

True that, I'll refrain myself from posting again. Maybe that can still save the thread from
Yeah I probably should too, BUT ON GOD is it testing me

When I write a sex-scene (or parts of it), it's part of character development (or relationship development). So more than the physical description of every move, the actual emotions (or changing feelings) are the important part you build on afterwards.
"I've learned to be more accepting of outsiders and different perspectives. Now jam that horse cock so far up my ass that it doubles as a spinal column."

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
No, no I wouldn't. You went ahead, created a mass assumption regarding people's preferences on fiction, related it to a real-life statistics and drew parallels between the two. Just because you had an Eureka moment doesn't mean you're exempt from the responsibility of what you said. If you were to interpret my response to that as "taking a hot pile of shit on my comment", then yeah, I'm probably doing that, because claiming that men glorify rape and contribute to rape statistics via rape fics is something that deserves to get shit on, regardless of whether you "clarified". And that clarification doesn't even come close to the severity of your previous statement. "Men who read rape fics glorify them and that's probably why women are afraid of them. What you read/watch reflects on yourself" can't be excused with a "I guess people enjoy taboo things in fiction because they don't need to suffer the consequences". You just graced across the second half of the former like you didn't paint a broad stroke across fiction in general.

Once again I emphasize, you claimed a parallel between a demographic of a taboo fictional subject to a demographic of a crime statistic. That's a parallel I can take bigger and hotter piles of shit on.
I’m literally not going to read all of that. Shoo, I’m talking to someone else.

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
I'm not accusing you. It's just the nature of this forum(forums in general?) when people derive the original topic. Smut is one of the themes that is rather sensitive, so it always invites a lot of discussions, and sometimes it's a very heated discussion.
LOL! I didn't think you were making accusations, I was just pouting.
-- It's kind of hard to answer questions on a thread if that thread is locked.

I don't mind heated discussions at all, as long as we stay on topic.

LostLibrarian

Exactly. Like I literally wrote ”my bad” or apologized in some way and this dude can’t seem to grasp it. He just insulted me and left.
No, you didn't. Stop making stuff up.
You said "I guess I understand a bit more..." minutes before my post came out, which was already being typed at that time. Nowhere in the entire discussion was there a "My bad" or "apologized in some way". Your posts were just:
A: "All man who like rape are rapists"
B: "I understand a bit more"
C: "No, you are an idiot!"
D: "People, don't be so mean to me!!!!!"

So yeah, don't play the victim card.
Yeah I probably should too, BUT ON GOD is it testing me
I already failed :( xD

But here we go, back to topic:
"I've learned to be more accepting of outsiders and different perspectives. Now jam that horse cock so far up my ass that it doubles as a spinal column."
I mean, that counts as character development.
Not what I had in mind for my MC, but it gets you thinking... xP

BenJepheneT

SailusGebel

Holy fuck Google search for Mr. Hands came up with a GOLD MINE thank you for that. Who knew horse sex crime was so prolific?
I am SOOOOO surprised right now. How come you didn't know about this whole thing? Or is it my expectations of you that are so biased and wrong? :blob_pat_sad: