Writing Types of Characters You Like Writing About.

Dearest_Violet

I am curious as to what types of characters an author would find most enjoyable to write in their story.

And perhaps compare that with characters that you find it difficult to write but include anyway.

ArchlordZero

Stage 4 Cancer Shitposter
I love writing about cute airhead klutzy girls, they make me show my inner silliness and stupidity. Plus, it warms my lonely heart 🥲

I have trouble writing bland cardboard MCs, but sometimes I had to do it for self-insert reasons (for the reader's immersion)

Tenebram

I like writing expressive (side) characters/ comedic duos the most, it's a bit of light fun for me midst the rather serious plot.

As for Main Characters..., that's a bit harder but I think strong but vulnerable characters that don't take themselves too seriously? So, pretty much the opposite of the dark and brooding type.

Dearest_Violet

cute airhead klutzy girls
Oh, I have a little trouble with this one as I can't seem to be able to make their clumsiness organic.

I have trouble writing bland cardboard MC
That's certainly one of the better troubles to have.

strong but vulnerable characters that don't take themselves too seriously
Oh! That's rather specific. Is it that they are hard to write because you don't understand them or something else?

Tenebram

Ah, no, I like writing those characters as they're a breath of fresh air to me. Especially for female MCs as they often fall into either of two types, the damsel in distress or the ruthless ice queen.

So I try my best to write balanced (?) characters, same goes for Love Interests because they're often only plot devices to save the protagonist or make them look better.

Characters I do have difficulties writing is overly serious characters. It kinda bores me, I guess?

Last edited:

LilRora

Mostly formless
Gap moe, I say.

Also, inhuman characters.

And I find it really hard to write characters whose beliefs and reasonings are significantly different from my own.

D

Deleted member 54065

I am curious as to what types of characters an author would find most enjoyable to write in their story.

And perhaps compare that with characters that you find it difficult to write but include anyway.
Brainy, sensible types. I mean, a character with a few ideals, though he can compromise if needed.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I always find myself writing a group of friends with ton of quips and banter between them while the MC is an easy going character who isn't afraid to tell it as is.

TotallyHuman

I like psychopaths. No, it came out wrong, I like writing characters who are socio/psychopaths. People with no empathy.
But ones who are driven by something outside of themselves, whether it be freedom, magic or whatever. And if they have no compromises or bottomlines to their goal.
I don't like characters who begin and end at their own personal world and stand for no idea. Especially if they are proud of it for some reason.
I will hate to write a characters who decides that they are fed up and don't want to work and want to live the slow life, but will adore the same character who will withdraw from the rat race as a protest against the unfair or wrong institution/establishment and will live the slow life to abide by their philosophy.

Last edited:

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
Competent people, those who are actually good at their job. There is something amazing and attractive about those who had the job done. But I tend to give them a very bad personality, being an incel or psychopathic.

I like to call this the Perturabo Effect.

MissAlbedo

I like to write about quirky and silly characters so there's lot of comedy in my story.

My main character is a female lead who has OCD and a crazy personality xD

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
One thing I noticed about a lot of the characters I tend to write, as well as roleplay; they all seem to be seeking a kind of freedom. They can serve another cause as long as it serves them, but also are willing to fight and bear some pretty terrible consequences if their freewill is restricted. It's pretty flexible, but has a tendency to produce tragic heroes, or chaotic (and somewhat charismatic) villains. They all deeply care about something, but the concept of "freedom" seems to be their core.

Jemini

Brainy, sensible types. I mean, a character with a few ideals, though he can compromise if needed.

Pretty much stole the words from my mouth, except replace "brainy" with "world wise." I'd rather write a character who can think on their feet and navigate all the political and social pit-falls over someone who can solve a complex math equation.

Conversely, I have a very hard time writing the kind of character who would actually fall into those pit-falls, especially since my worlds tend to be very unforgiving toward the naive and idealistic types who would foolishly take the "stand up against the world" approach and rewards them by making them very quickly die in vain while clutching to their ideals.

Standing up for your ideals is admirable, but only if you find some solid and defensible ground first before making your stand.

ACertainPassingUser

The type that was easy to read and predictable, but it has its own quirk.

Those kind of character were easy to make because they're just 2D characters with flat personality, but they have predetermined reaction toward certain stuff.

They're just some people MC talks about insignificant slice-of-life topics to sometimes serious Canon topic, depending on the NPC status. They can simply in the idle times when both coincidentally met. A.k.a in classroom, in hallway, in market, in mall, in the bus, in the neighborhood, etc. And then both may not met again for another chapters, arcs, volumes, or even books.

It helps so much to increase the presence of character with small role, easy to replicate by changing little details, and the best of all : No need to worry about keeping tracks of their complex mental issue and personality depth, as they're just predetermined NPC with clear pattern.

Just make sure to make they still interact with MC on the future arc of Story Canon timeline. Keeping notes about their future presence isn't as hard as keeping track of Main Cast's psychology status for the whole volume. Probably something like "Joe became owner of materials store and met MC on the hotel in Volume xx", and ignore it until the volume started.

The thing we don't like is when we add too much of them, or when we forget their scheduled appearance on the current volume. Or even worse, we already past one or even two volume from the supposed appearance of them. It's not like they're that important, but small missed details that have been prepared so long would be wasted opportunity.