Unique Characters

SomethingStuffHappend

Just say it
Idk how to make other characters talk like they are there own person. Isn't it just me thinking what they would say? It's not actually what a person like that would talk like. Idk wtf I'm doing tbh been stuck awhile just because I feel like its not that person talking but me. How do you guys go about this?

Maybe I just need to go out and touch grass and talk to people idk. But I'm looking for certain kinds of people this is just really confusing and frustrating looking at words on a computer or book is a lot different than actual people talking in the moment.

What I'm trying to say is how do you make your characters feel like they are people.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Give them certain quirks.

The simplest way to make a character stand out is to give them 'hallmarks'. Someone could always be scoffing, another could only occasionally give valuable input, someone could always be angry, a person might stutter or beat around the bush, someone always folding their arms or is known to be stoic, etc.

Another is motivation and ideals. If they're always on board with the MC or the general consensus, then no one's unique. It'll be very homogeneous.

These can also serve as devices for character arcs, so it's a win-win.

D

Deleted member 54065

Idk how to make other characters talk like they are there own person. Isn't it just me thinking what they would say? It's not actually what a person like that would talk like. Idk wtf I'm doing tbh been stuck awhile just because I feel like its not that person talking but me. How do you guys go about this?

Maybe I just need to go out and touch grass and talk to people idk. But I'm looking for certain kinds of people this is just really confusing and frustrating looking at words on a computer or book is a lot different than actual people talking in the moment.

What I'm trying to say is how do you make your characters feel like they are people.
I observe people, their behaviors and attitudes. Then write those down, including how they swear, get pissed, become happy, etc.

While character consistency is always recommended, going out of character occasionally is part of human complexities, so I write those as well.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
It is hard to explain.

My best advice would be, play it out in your head, like a real conversation between two people. Or as if you, watching others talk, like watching a tv show.

If it turns out satisfying then it should be good to write down. As @Syringe said, give them personality that shows on how they talk and act with your other characters. Which remains consistent until their personality evolves, matures or devolves into villains, whatever you come up with.

LilRora

Mostly formless
One advice I've to give is to focus on emotions, not on words - if you know how each character feels about a topic, their dialogues will come out much more naturally. If you are just writing a dialogue about a topic without considering emotions, it will feel flat, because there is no interaction.

Even something as insignificant as a twitching eyebrow after some statement can give life to a character, although if you just get a twitching eyebrow, it still needs emotion. So think what emotion is behind that reaction; is it disgust, surprise, irritation, or some past personal experience that causes them to react that way. If you have that, you automatically have what a character feels about the previous statement and you can easily come up with a suitable reaction - be it indifference, questioning, lashing out, or trying to cover up their feelings.

Although, honestly, writing truly good dialogues would require you to have a near-perfect grasp on the personality of each character, which can be really hard to create and stay consistent with.

If you want to improve in long term, then just read more and watch movies.

SomethingStuffHappend

Just say it
One advice I've to give is to focus on emotions, not on words - if you know how each character feels about a topic, their dialogues will come out much more naturally. If you are just writing a dialogue about a topic without considering emotions, it will feel flat, because there is no interaction.

Even something as insignificant as a twitching eyebrow after some statement can give life to a character, although if you just get a twitching eyebrow, it still needs emotion. So think what emotion is behind that reaction; is it disgust, surprise, irritation, or some past personal experience that causes them to react that way. If you have that, you automatically have what a character feels about the previous statement and you can easily come up with a suitable reaction - be it indifference, questioning, lashing out, or trying to cover up their feelings.

Although, honestly, writing truly good dialogues would require you to have a near-perfect grasp on the personality of each character, which can be really hard to create and stay consistent with.

If you want to improve in long term, then just read more and watch movies.
I'm legit having trouble having the mc interact with someone at a convivence store. But I like what you said not using words much but expression. Thanks

RobBanks

Not to sound like a jerk, but...

You can't do it.
You can't just suddenly "switch on" and write realístic dialogue because you want to.
There's no secret technique.
There's no particular method.

That's because all these characters that are talking are actually YOU. You're making them up, and unless you have lots of experience writing, I or anyone else will be able to tell you fucked up and made it sound really scripted.

But the only way you can ever get experience is to just get your hands on it and fuck up a bunch of times until you get good.

You're not talking to professionals here, mostly. 99% of this site is hobbyists and beginners, and anyone who looks down on you for failing is probably an even worse failure who is trying to make themselves feel better.

So just stop ruminating and go fuck it up, already. This is the place to do it.
You won't gain much from dicking around trying to find some secret formula, no matter how helpful we try to be to you. A bunch of us probably in the exact same boat, after all.
My honest advice.

BlackKnightX

In fiction, you can exaggerate the character a bit to make them more interesting. Exaggeration makes the image clear in your head as well.

So, what's your character's personality? Are they shy? A tsundere, maybe? Flirtatious and smooth? Give them a clear trait first and keep that in mind when you write.

SomethingStuffHappend

Just say it
So just stop ruminating and go fuck it up, already. This is the place to do it.
You won't gain much from dicking around trying to find some secret formula, no matter how helpful we try to be to you. A bunch of us probably in the exact same boat, after all.
My honest advice.
This is very hard for me for some reason. The only time I don't care when I fuck up is when I actually don't care if I fuck up. And writing like that contradicts why I am writing. If I'm going to fuck up I'm going to do it while trying.
The advice does seem more realistic out of the other than
I observe people, their behaviors and attitudes. Then write those down, including how they swear, get pissed, become happy, etc.
but that's just creepy, but funny and quirky he/she is exactly the kind of characters I'm interested in writing about but not something I think I can do without going to jail or something.

Desustar

I totally get that feeling too. like you start writing a bunch of dialogues with absolutely no context, and when you read it again, it feels like it's a discussion of a character with themselves.
you just have to fuck it up, try again, repeat. and as an added bonus, go touch grass. but be aware when you touch grass. think about why the grass is how it, why it does what it does, why not do the same differently.

and I realise I probably had no advice that you weren't already aware, so yeah...

SomethingStuffHappend

Just say it
In fiction, you can exaggerate the character a bit to make them more interesting. Exaggeration makes the image clear in your head as well.

So, what's your character's personality? Are they shy? A tsundere, maybe? Flirtatious and smooth? Give them a clear trait first and keep that in mind when you write.
I'm not sure what I even want of this character they are supposed to be feeling existential dread currently and they are rather laid back but hardworking in the world they are in. I'd say shy but secretly rebellious or something like that.

D

Deleted member 54065

but that's just creepy, but funny and quirky he/she is exactly the kind of characters I'm interested in writing about but not something I think I can do without going to jail or something.
It's not. The people I'm talking about are your friends, close acquaintances and family members. You don't have to go out and stare at people like you intend to melt their souls. Or you may, indeed, go out and casually listen to people having discussions; the creepy part is always avoidable. A simple observation/listening in the middle of a subway (or in my country's case, metro rails) should do the trick too.

Eating out alone in the middle of a busy restaurant can also net you with information that you need to make your characters 'believably' human.

For my case, I'm a teacher, so I observe my students' and co-workers' behavior and take mental notes which I later used in my stories. In some cases, I also work as a legal consultant, so I have access to some legal cases (and how people react to stuff related to that).

Edit: if I may add, if you're looking for a believably human, yet illegal, behavior, documentaries can help you as well.

This is very hard for me for some reason. The only time I don't care when I fuck up is when I actually don't care if I fuck up. And writing like that contradicts why I am writing. If I'm going to fuck up I'm going to do it while trying.
The advice does seem more realistic out of the other than
Also, @RobBanks advice is actually true to some degree. Most of us here are hobbyists, or newbies as well. There are cases of self-made authors, but that's after they committed lots of failures that they used it as a stepping stone to their success.

So yeah, I somewhat agree with RobBanks and just wing it (after seeking a few advices and suggestions). You'll learn to develop your style and the basics as you write.

And to encourage you (even for a bit), I also decided to 'wing' my work years ago (after looking for some advice and basic rules online). This is how some of my readers received it.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 113259

It's not. The people I'm talking about are your friends, close acquaintances and family members. You don't have to go out and stare at people like you intend to melt their souls. Or you may, indeed, go out and casually listen to people having discussions; the creepy part is always avoidable. A simple observation/listening in the middle of a subway (or in my country's case, metro rails) should do the trick too.

Eating out alone in the middle of a busy restaurant can also net you with information that you need to make your characters 'believably' human.

For my case, I'm a teacher, so I observe my students' and co-workers' behavior and take mental notes which I later used in my stories. In some cases, I also work as a legal consultant, so I have access to some legal cases (and how people react to stuff related to that).

Edit: if I may add, if you're looking for a believably human, yet illegal, behavior, documentaries can help you as well.

Also, @RobBanks advice is actually true to some degree. Most of us here are hobbyists, or newbies as well. There are cases of self-made authors, but that's after they committed lots of failures that they used it as a stepping stone to their success.

So yeah, I somewhat agree with RobBanks and just wing it (after seeking a few advices and suggestions). You'll learn to develop your style and the basics as you write.

And to encourage you (even for a bit), I also decided to 'wing' my work years ago (after looking for some advice and basics online). This is how some of my readers received it.
Yo, that reader had us in the first half had us in the first half not gonna lie.
"This reminds me of this really shallow piece of work that made all of its characters dumb...

but it's better in every possible way and isn't terribly written"

D

Deleted member 54065

Yo, that reader had us in the first half had us in the first half not gonna lie.
"This reminds me of this really shallow piece of work that made all of its characters dumb...

but it's better in every possible way and isn't terribly written"
Well, I got more feedback on HoneyFeed than the time I was posting back here. I think the only ones I got here are negative feedbacks and ratings; so I guess it's more on the issue of audience preference than bad writing (I did my best for my main project after all).

use chatgpt / other ai to generate their dialogues and actions while you write everyone else just to create a contrast :D

D

Deleted member 113259

Well, I got more feedback on HoneyFeed than the time I was posting back here. I think the only ones I got here are negative feedbacks and ratings; so I guess it's more on the issue of audience preference than bad writing (I did my best for my main project after all).
Dude your audience bothers telling you the problems they have with your work? Lucky.

D

Deleted member 54065

Dude your audience bothers telling you the problems they have with your work? Lucky.
Yep...at least in HoneyFeed and Syosetu. With how long my story's been running (I'm currently writing Volume 17), I consider those 'investment' on their side, so I take those complaints seriously.

Let me show you samples...

This is from an avid reader from HoneyFeed.

And this is from a reader in Syosetu...

As for ScribbleHub and RoyalRoad feedbacks? Meh. Most is for my MC's apparent 'beta-ness', because in the early arcs of the story, he has no powers and he has to focus on his survival in a world with magic, conspiracy and arrogant nobility.

A few are for 'I could not take bullying in your story because I was bullied before, so have a low rating for that matter."

And...the most memorable of all...

That Melvin Wong who complained about my story not having sex at all.

120072219_2413465555625451_1163416435340143832_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: