Unique Characters

SailusGebel

I observe people, their behaviors and attitudes. Then write those down, including how they swear, get pissed, become happy, etc.

While character consistency is always recommended, going out of character occasionally is part of human complexities, so I write those as well.
Now that I think about it, did you use any of SH users as prototypes for your characters?

D

Deleted member 54065

Now that I think about it, did you use any of SH users as prototypes for your characters?
A few of SH denizens, yes, and how they react to some situations.

Though, the Saint Series is mostly focused on Kuro, and his interactions with others from Chersea (most of the major characters I based on my students and co-workers' behaviors). I mean, I only found ScribbleHub in the middle of writing Volume 3, so the SH denizens (or at least a sliver of them) appear on later chapters.

@SailusGebel in fact, I based one of my minor villains on some peeps here. Not because I hate them, but I impressed with their 'salty' behavior.

D

Deleted member 54065

Yep. She's that Russian.

(Sorry one of my old drawings >.<)

miyoga

Everything said so far is absolutely right. Writing my current short, I simply thought about different films I've watched, different people I know and their mannerisms and even what kind of characteristics and qualities I wanted them to have in their personalities. I'm not afraid of making crappy dialogue because the only other thing that I could possibly add is having beta readers/editors who can and are willing to help with any issues.

I gave my first story to at least 3 people before posting it here, just to see what they thought of it. I'll probably end up giving this one to the same people once it's finished. I've got confidence in my dialogue, but I'd rather be told how bad I fucked it up before I post so that I can go back and make any changes that are necessary (unless the intent is for fucked up dialogue because that's just how your character is).

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Figure out what a character's pov during a conversation is. What angle do they take on topics, what is their end goal for the convo?

That will help each char feel real.

Last edited:

BlurryMoon

I am no expert I didn’t even start writing my first story but currently I’m writing character Template for all my major characters so you can make that and look at it if you don’t know how your character would respond.

Keep their Personality in mind, flaws, verbal tics, and physical tics. But for physical tics you probably shouldn’t mention everytime your character makes them.

That was all. But again I’m not an expert I didn’t even write my first novel.

TotallyHuman

I observe people, their behaviors and attitudes. Then write those down, including how they swear, get pissed, become happy, etc.

While character consistency is always recommended, going out of character occasionally is part of human complexities, so I write those as well.
As an educator you are quite suited to observing human characterss, come to think of it

D

Deleted member 54065

As an educator you are quite suited to observing human characterss, come to think of it
Well, I have to use that skill to 'prevent' lots of suicide attempts among my students. Although...I still lost two.
It's nice of you to immortalize Anon and Lloyd like that.
Eh, Anon is a tsun, so he's not salty. And Lloyd is a latecomer here though...

I based that character on much earlier peeps. Some of them are inactive when I returned.

D

Deleted member 113259

Well, I have to use that skill to 'prevent' lots of suicide attempts among my students. Although...I still lost two.

Eh, Anon is a tsun, so he's not salty. And Lloyd is a latecomer here though...

I based that character on much earlier peeps. Some of them are inactive when I returned.
Tone of your these two replies is very different, Hans.

KrakenRiderEmma

It’s already been said, but… yes, observing people, whether real people or very well-written fictional characters, is the way. Great actors (including voice actors) who bring characters to life are good too.

Goal should be to get to the point where you can “hear those people and their personality in your head” — your friend, your favorite character, a quirky side character, a coworker. Once you can imagine how they’d react and what they would be feeling, dialogue and non-verbal expression comes much more easily. (Maybe unless you have a cognitive atypicality in this area.) For new, original characters, you combine, change, imagine different life circumstances.

Of course then you get to something very difficult: how do you imagine someone’s reaction when it’s affected by some kind of life circumstances and experiences that you have never seen anything like. Sole survivor of a genocide, or something. It’s hard for almost anyone to do “realistically.”

D

Deleted member 54065

Tone of your these two replies is very different, Hans.
Ah, don't worry much about it.

I just answered both of you.

Well, that's why I always tell myself the bad stuff stops with me. Tried playing the hero before but I ended up traumatized. Lol

I treat my students as my close friends, see?

Any case, I apologize to OP for hijacking the thread with my drama. :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely:

D

Deleted member 54065

OP already got all the answers anyway.
Use informal language, think out conversations as if you were having them, be a creep. What other advice could anyone possibly give?
Documentaries can help. Especially for people who can't be reached normally (like people in prison).

Interviewing people can help. Brother, sister, any other person you have in mind. Ask them their experiences and how they react to situations.

This is quite difficult to do, but 'putting yourself in someone's shoes' can also help.

I read someone mentioned here that they are watching movies and shows, that can help as well. Though one must back it up with personal experience, since shows (especially comedy or fantasy stuff) can be misleading.

Oh and also, researching about certain conditions can help an author write a more authentic, 'human' character.

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
Now, imagine that the character you're writing lives in a nation that has formal and informal language, and said difference doesn't exactly translate well
Informal writing, mainly. Swearing, back and forward banter, starting sentences with conjunctions, using contractions.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Idk how to make other characters talk like they are there own person. Isn't it just me thinking what they would say? It's not actually what a person like that would talk like. Idk wtf I'm doing tbh been stuck awhile just because I feel like its not that person talking but me. How do you guys go about this?

Maybe I just need to go out and touch grass and talk to people idk. But I'm looking for certain kinds of people this is just really confusing and frustrating looking at words on a computer or book is a lot different than actual people talking in the moment.

What I'm trying to say is how do you make your characters feel like they are people.
If you are wanting to distinguish between different characters in speaking styles (I’m not sure if that is what you are asking, so sorry if I miss what you meant) then giving one a formal manner of speech vs informal could help. Only using various onomatopoeia for certain people (like differing laughter, swears, sighs, groans, etc) as well as consistent accents or word choices characteristic of friends you have who speak or choose different words than you normally would to describe (or if you are friendless, then just look online in argument threads).