Using POV's in the plot

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Forgive me if I sound like an idiot, lol. I'm quite literally talking out of my behind. But I do think this idea is nice.

So here's the gist. In my story, eyes play a very important part in the world. Just the MC and the FeMC alone have eye powers, and I plan to add more. But I want to focus on the MC here.

My MC has a flaw. He has a superiority complex. Although it doesn't show much at this point in the story, he always has that desire to prove himself as the best.

I plan to improve his vision powers throughout the duration of the plot, as well as weaken it in accordance with how much his flaw will affect him.

Like say, at some point in the story, he thinks himself the only one worthy of focus and attention, and as such reducing the power of his all-encompassing gaze. I think using POV's to highlight his shortsightedness just sounds neat.

But idk, what do ya'll think?

Ssthat

Boo Tao Main
Do you mean using a pov of another character that is viewing mc? if so it can be good if used correctly. If you are asking what pov we write in I use first person.

ACertainPassingUser

Its kinda normal compared to some horrible idea I've ever seen.

POV with distinct characteristics is actually a good thing, but you will have hard time with limiting the amount of info and adjusting the thought process of each character. Especially if the character has some kind of accent or quirk of sort.

Especially if you want to show how MC has some bad habit, strange mannerisms, lazyness, and how shitty or anoyying MC were in the view of the Main Cast. Especially when MC accidentally do thing that cause other characters to hate MC because of MC's ignorance that we won't see in MC's POV since MC think they're already doing the right thing.

One of the most unique example of how POV are treated exclusively come from Re:Zero, where the author never showed any POV from the strongest, smartest, kindest, and most handsome character in the series : Reinhard.

In Rezero, we've seen POV from lots of character and it also contain lots of infoabout their past, their history, their thoughts, and how those thing shape them who they're right now, and how they would look into the future.

The past history of the characters affect to how they become the person right now, and how a character behaves right now is connected to the past they have.

It applies easily to every character in Re Zero, due to the careful world building and character writing. Most people simply write

It's a psychological show, every character is 3D and "have their own personality".

Casuals can only saw that Rem figurines sold really fast due to how cute her design were, especially when we only saw the observe lover actions she do to MC.

But as character, even without seeing her design, you can see that she has her past, her insecurities to be compared older sister her feeling, her sis-con complex, her obsession, her bias, her own trauma, her hatred against witch-cultist, her genuine reason for misunderstanding MC, and how MC genuinely help her with the genuinely right word and get to love MC.

Her obsession is not normal, but understandable, because she was never sane to begin with. It's only in current chapters after she get memory loss that she start to act more normal and analytical.

Once the author of Re:Zero were asked why he never showed Reinhard POV, he said that "Reinhard's POV is a Spoiler". Possibly due to all the hundreds of OP blessing he has, his eye POV could unfold the material of the whole Re:Zero story.

As now we've been shown about the existence of Stargazer (those who read fates (?)), and how it connected to Observer (those being that observe the whole world (?)), While Now we're we're delving into new territory of know power and unknown behind the scene in Re:Zero.

And Reinhardt's POV being shown right now might broke that spoiler before it's Ready to be shown, as Reinhard could probably see the lines of fates and whatever plot devices that might ruin the show story if shown too early.

Last edited:

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Do you mean using a pov of another character that is viewing mc? if so it can be good if used correctly. If you are asking what pov we write in I use first person.
I mean the pov shifts between first and third to highlight how much the mc focuses on himself and others. But yes, it also works for other characters, lol

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
So I use 1st person for any scene that my MC is present in. Then it switches to 3rd person when the MC isn't around
Lastly, I use 2nd person when the time deity is alone, talking to themselves/the reader. It's very effective but a lot of stories shouldn't do this as a lot of people dislike it if it used incorrectly.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I mean the pov shifts between first and third to highlight how much the mc focuses on himself and others. But yes, it also works for other characters, lol
As long as you are not sacrificing clarity. If readers keep leaving comments saying it makes it difficult to read I'd say it isn't serving the intended purpose.

Like for example: One of the fictions on RR has first person point of view sometimes. Though it isn't always the main character's POV. I found myself assuming the stuff in first person was the MC only to be wrong but not figure it out right away. Doing that ruins the flow of the story.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
If it's from a separate character, make sure to show it's not the main character. I make mine super obvious, since I do a lot of POVs in my novel. It might also be good to throw an Unreliable Narrator tag on the story if your MC's worldview isn't realistic.

yes. different perspectives give deeper meaning. it's a great way to highlight elements and explain things in different contexts

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Forgive me if I sound like an idiot, lol. I'm quite literally talking out of my behind. But I do think this idea is nice.

So here's the gist. In my story, eyes play a very important part in the world. Just the MC and the FeMC alone have eye powers, and I plan to add more. But I want to focus on the MC here.

My MC has a flaw. He has a superiority complex. Although it doesn't show much at this point in the story, he always has that desire to prove himself as the best.

I plan to improve his vision powers throughout the duration of the plot, as well as weaken it in accordance with how much his flaw will affect him.

Like say, at some point in the story, he thinks himself the only one worthy of focus and attention, and as such reducing the power of his all-encompassing gaze. I think using POV's to highlight his shortsightedness just sounds neat.

But idk, what do ya'll think?
I have zero stuff to say about it. Sounds like a great premise. Definitely difficult to handle, but go you!
Second reply connected to the thread but also not really (though I bet this'll be fused): I use first-person in "Charisma" because the narrator is unreliable and I want their inner view to color the world. They have a unique perspective, so I want the reader to know their thoughts. I typically use first-person for everyone else too in the story, and use a title and make that chapter an "Interlude" for a pov change. But I'll use 3rd-person in a different just as a stylistic choice to see if I can do it well in a different story.

Last edited:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Will there be eyes with extra dimensions? The number of eyes you need to allow one to see in 4+ dimensions is of interest to me.