Was there the time that happened when a certain publishing serialization company seeks to imprint the novel (with better editing) in ScribbleHub?

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
I'm kinda curious if some company would do the same as publishers gets the fiction from the "Let's become a novelist" website in Japan. For example, Re: Zero came from web novel that somehow caught by Kadokawa company to imprint the work for marketing purpose. Other is Youjo senki which has grammar problems to begin with yet it has good quality in terms of the story itself.

Jemini

I have it from some publishing agents that this simply does not happen in the US market. It only happens in the Japanese market because their webnovel community has become a prime recruitment site, the US market has yet to develop in this direction. (We would need to have somebody become a break-out hit in order to inspire publishers to do this, but most webnovelists who do publish tend to self publish.)

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Syosetu is a not a good comparison, the entire point of publishing in Syosetu is to get your novel adapted into a LN if it becomes popular... The west simply uses a different model.

D4isuke

Syosetu is a not a good comparison, the entire point of publishing in Syosetu is to get your novel adapted into a LN if it becomes popular... The west simply uses a different model.

I wish that would be a thing too in the western part. Although there is actually a thing called "Orignal English Light Novel" (OELN) community where most western light novelist mostly spend time convening to each other, but there are short number of them though. One of the popular west light novelist guy is Brandon Varnell. He does self-publishing too,and his writing is quite proper and entertaining.

AliceShiki

I wish that would be a thing too in the western part. Although there is actually a thing called "Orignal English Light Novel" (OELN) community where most western light novelist mostly spend time convening to each other, but there are short number of them though. One of the popular west light novelist guy is Brandon Varnell. He does self-publishing too,and his writing is quite proper and entertaining.
Well, that name makes 0 sense, because a Light Novel is a novel written in Japanese that has low amount of Kanjis and doesn't use many complex kanjis, making it a light read that children and teenagers can easily enjoy... >.>

So... An English Light Novel is plain and simply impossible to exist by the very definition of what is a Light Novel... >.>

D4isuke

Well, that name makes 0 sense, because a Light Novel is a novel written in Japanese that has low amount of Kanjis and doesn't use many complex kanjis, making it a light read that children and teenagers can easily enjoy... >.>

So... An English Light Novel is plain and simply impossible to exist by the very definition of what is a Light Novel... >.>

Hmmm, ok , even though it does make 0 sense, it does exist whether you believe it or not, but it is underrated and less recognizable since the Light Novel style isn't quite adaptable to Western or any English literature during the past.

AliceShiki

Hmmm, ok , even though it does make 0 sense, it does exist whether you believe it or not, but it is underrated and less recognizable since the Light Novel style isn't quite adaptable to Western or any English literature during the past.
I believe you, I'm just saying they had a terrible naming sense because they didn't bother to do the 5 minutes of googling necessary to learn the definition of Light Novel... >.>

D4isuke

I believe you, I'm just saying they had a terrible naming sense because they didn't bother to do the 5 minutes of googling necessary to learn the definition of Light Novel... >.>

Hmmm ok... I understand your point... it seemed that you stand for the definition of the Light Novel which is only for the Japanese literature in modern times. It's quite sad for a weeb writer like me to demand for the Light Novel influence in the Western market.

Well at least... novel is a novel

Vaerama

'A bit of light reading.' vs War and Peace.

I was under the impression that when people were using 'Light Novel' to refer to western books, they meant 'young adult' ie Harry Potter, which it has to be admitted is a remarkably easy read. Yes, there is a movie scene where the 'resident brainiac' of said successful series says such a thing while holding a terribly thick and archaic-looking tome.

That is to say: similarly to how the japanese use it to refer to works done in 'the simpler tongue', most people aren't actually too put out by 'basic' instances of english language usage, and thus those books seem to rise just fine. Never mind how cringe-worthy they can be to read.

If I was 'successful', I'd likely be inclined toward self-publishment/patreon/sell-on-amazon anyway, even if I had the option of having some publishing company absolutely come screaming in pursuit of me. I absolutely hate the idea of some megacorp owning me and mine... and I don't imagine their terms would be so delightful as to make it worth taking their offer. That isn't to say there's no price, for there's usually a price, but I simply don't believe that they or I could negotiate a workable compromise.

D4isuke

'A bit of light reading.' vs War and Peace.

That isn't to say there's no price, for there's usually a price, but I simply don't believe that they or I could negotiate a workable compromise.

That is sometimes true since company only aims for marketing sales other than the importance of literary works, but it's quite conflicting since marketing and literary works are the main objective to accomplish the economical standing of both publishing company and 'you' as a author.

Self- publishing companies can also share the similarities if they could adapt the physical supplies to the designated bookstores.

But it all depends if the consumers alike are also majorly adaptable to a certain publishing network.

AliceShiki

I was under the impression that when people were using 'Light Novel' to refer to western books, they meant 'young adult' ie Harry Potter, which it has to be admitted is a remarkably easy read.
That's the same impression I have! Though they could just call it YA novel instead of LN then! >.<

CautiousTitan

Tentacle, Merchant, and Telekinesis Expert
It'll be interesting to see how the Western Market Develops