Writing Prompt We need more CYOA type prompts

Yamemai

So, I'm currently obsessed with CYOA, having discovered some point based ones. One of them stood out, Fantasy Friend, having inspired me to write a bit. -- Not much, since it was while I was in a groggy state, from waking up.

Not sure why, but decided to share it with you guys, and see what you could come up with using the same set of choices.
Note: The image is kinda long, so couldn't attach it, but found it here: Fantasy Friends CYOA v1.1 - cyoa post - Imgur
Edit: May contain suggestive images; recommended for 13+

@Story: [groceries & purse? Male=shoulder sling]
Feeling around, as the light blinds my sleep weary eyes, my hands search for my blanket. As my eyes slowing accumulate, I see a field of green and brown. Startled awake by this discovery, I hastily get up, checking my bearings.

I was besides some dirt road, on a field of grass, with a forest off to the distance. On my person were:
1. Some of my outdoor clothes -- "When did I get changed?" I wondered.
2. A shoulder bag I don't remember owning -- It only had my phone in it!
3. And a bag of groceries, that I couldn't have bought. -- Sighing, "At least I have some food."

With nothing better to do, I picked a direction and walked. Following the road, I soon came up some walls and a line of people waiting to enter. As time progressed and the line moved, a man and woman arrived behind me. Nervous from being in a new place, or something else, I try asking them if there is a toll, but was ignored. No idea why, maybe a nervous tick or something, I decided to pull out my phone to check the time, and maybe see if I can call/text home. This seems to have caught the male pair's attention, "What is that artifact in your hands!?"

After an introduction--where I found out they were half-elves! And he was an enchanter--and explaining to him it's utility, he became intrigued. Maybe it's the nerves, the tone, or even how his gaze bore at the phone, but I saw an opportunity. "I wouldn't mind letting you play with it a bit, if you could teach me how to enchant." He explained how enchanting would consume too much of his time, but offered to teach me some utility magic. Thus I learnt some Lifestyle spells as we moved through the line. Somehow--Don't ask me, I'm still wondering. Maybe it was some training montage effect?--was able to learn all of them by the time we got into the walled city.

As we were to part--I needed to find some place to sleep, and a way to make money--I asked for my phone back. He was very reluctant to return it, and offered to buy it, listing prices, ending with his sister. "Uhh, sure I'll sell it-" before I could even finish my sentence, he had already run off. Turning to the sister, baring an equally exaggerated expression, "Did he just run off with my phone? Before negotiations even started?" I was very upset, but was somehow still calm enough to stir the conversation the direction I wanted: negotiations, with some threats of going to the guards about this.--Reminding her I could provide the phone was mine, having not mentioned how to turn it on/off, not showed them the passcode. There's even some pictures of me in there. Along with some emails to provide it belongs to my name.

As negotiations progress, and I was mentioned learning more magic and enchanting, we were interrupted by some Eccentric Old Wizard. Having overheard our conversation, he offered to take me as an apprentice, seeing as how I haven't been 'tainted' by the elements yet. He seemed crazy, so I didn't want to, but he was persistent, refusing to acknowledge my "No thanks."

In the end, I relented, and asked what he could teach me. They were all interesting, but the two that really stood out were Arcane Shield and Scroll Crafting. "I had read a story, Shell Mage, of someone using something similar to great purposes." was my explanation on why I wasn't interested in arcane missile as well. "As for Scroll crafting, I had an item, which the negotiations were for, that I feel could make much money, if I had this knowledge. Speaking of, would you mind another mentee?" He didn't seem to mind, thus, I had another card for the negotiations.

In the end, the enchanter was "too busy" to even hear our deal, thus it fell to his sister. All it took was a joking comment about how he did offer her up, and she might be able to make something similar with the wizards tutorage, one-upping him if he took too long. "Yes." She had decisively said. When asked to which, training or offer of her, she just repeated "yes." Even when joking that he hadn't specify: as a slave, sister, servant, or wife; all she answered was "yes."

"Uhh, okay." I cringed back, "Well, I should probably go find some food and board then." That seemed to snap her out, and after some hesitation recommended me an inn. Since I still didn't know my way around, the wizard had offered to take me there; not sure if he was equally put off, didn't want to lose me his apprentice, or what.

Thus, I was lead to the inn. As we sat, I remembered the bag of groceries; I had been carrying it around all this time! How could I forget about it!? I reprimanded myself. Opening it, as I don't remember what is inside, I found 10 Japanese bentos. "Huh, enough for 3~5 days." "Refrigerated." I mentally reminded myself, before mentally sighing, "How did I even buy these? I don't even live in Japan." As I was taking one out, I touched the table, and it was stained! Hurriedly I cast clean, on both my hands and the table. This seemed to have gotten the attention of the Inn-keep, who sent his daughter over. "What was that light? Were you casting a spell?" Before seeing the boxed lunch "Did you conjure that!?"

Not off to a great start, I hurriedly explained it was just some utility magic to clean the tables, and I had brought the boxes and bag with me, before offering an apology about the light show. After hearing my piece, and giving me and company a once over, she screamed "Dad!" It nearly gave me a fright, when a grizzled man came, smacking a club into his hand all the while. "Put that thing away dad, this gentleman just said something interesting." she then repeated my explanation of the boxed lunch. This got his interest, thus I heated two--me and wizard, they'd take--up and show them the process. "Ha! Selling packed food, why didn't I think of that!" he said while clapping me on the shoulder and heading back to the kitchen.

"Can I get you anything?" the girl continued.
"Uh, just a room or two for my companion here," I motioned to the old wizard.
She gave me the price, and nervously, I rubbed the back of my neck while replying, I didn't actually have any from here, and explained how I had something to sell, but the negotiation had stalled a bit. When I had stated who I was selling to, and how I came to the establishment, she commented with an "Ohh, yeah she comes here to get a drink and complain about him all the time~" and sitting down besides me, "How are you going to pay for the room and board?"

"Uhh, well, you two seemed interested in the bentos, so how about I give you two as a sample for a couple days. And, as I've just shown you, I know some utility magic. Maybe I could use it to help with the tables and such as fare?" To my shenanigan, I was pulled to the father, and entered another set of negotiations. Was even handed some ale when my voice cracked. "Bleh" was my reaction to it. Before the innkeeper could be off put, I hurriedly explained I'm use to cold ones, before using magic to chill it. Interested, he asked for a taste, and not wanting to make a big deal, I said, "Sure, go ahead." He took a couple swigs, before downing the mug. "[Daughter] get this fine young man another mug." he called, and thus negotiations continued.

In the end, I only drank one mug, commenting "Thanks, but I don't usually drink this type of alcohol." when asked. The inn-keep, with a glint in his eyes, asked me to elaborate. "Uhh, I don't know much on how it's made, but..." and so I explained what I knew about alcohol making--Mainly how yeast is cultivated for the specific purpose and how it converts sugar into alcohol; and how different alcohol is made using different ingredients/processes--and distillation. "Haha, just a font of knowledge aren't you!" and a couple more claps on the shoulders was his response.

The discussions ended, and an agreement finalized. This month/week's board was free, if I wanted food I'd need to help chill some ale and clean some for some room and board. Further recompense would be up for discussion at the end of the month.

I went back to our table, hungrier, only to find two bentos had been consumed, with a third in the process. Looking at the wizard, his only response was, "What?"
Shaking my head, I replied, "Nothing, got us some rooms for the month." Before heating & digging into my own food, mentally sighing, "Already lost 6 boxes." After the meal, we were guided to our rooms. For the rest of the day, I was taught to cast Arcane shield.

[... And the juice/flow is peppering off; just needed a seduction bit--inn girl comes to pick up the bentos, deciding to stop lessons there & sleep.

[Maybe:
Got woken up by her later on, wanting to be taught utility magic. Candle was some aphrodisiacs incense, so we ended up bumping uglies. Didn't want to marry yet, and being smart enough to realize the candle trick. -- duration extended to month here?

Something about: Looking back, I can see why they'd do this. They probably thought I was some journeying nobleman, looking for worldly experience, traveling with a mentor/grandfather. Thought me not drinking was because I was onto their game--getting me drunk for a better deal-- and knew I wouldn't blow, with how I stirred the convo to help them. May have even been interested in the daughter, with how much knowledge/ideas I gave & how little I asked for.]

Day 2 I'd visit elven maid and ask her to help me sell the 'trash': grocery bag + boxes. And study the scroll crafting w/.

Progress on studies for a couple days before going to adventure guild, to earn money. Sooner or later meet the talented loli and/or the Jovial Skeleton boss.
Companions: 5 [perks:8; 1 per comp+3]
#1. Half-Elven Enchanter
Utility Magic Helps clean; Inn syn
Half-Elven Maid Need a perk for this?
- Wonder if sister know's magic.
- wonder the list are the only ones; ex. does he know how to conjure light? Seems useful for allnighters.
[Notenough: Ring of Succubus; combo + extra friend]
[Wonder if I can negotiate for the mobile;
Eg. Teach me utility + artefact to replace it, along with maid, since it's so unique. And I'm gonna need money
Or have him train w/ during Old Wiz' training, to help along the research.]
#2. Old Wizard
Arcane Shield* Shell Mage
Scroll Crafting Copy tutorage is useful.
[Note: Wonder if we can copy phone's effects; whoops?]
[Turn the shield into wires, hexagonal aegis, shards, etc]
[notenough: Arcane Missile]
#3. Innkeeper's Daughter
FwB ancestry=take her away?
[notenough:goodnighter] club.
[Extra: But what is in the middle?]
#4. Talented loli
Family Trouble Moonshade elixir?/ancestry
[Wonder if I can 'clean' the waste sickness, since they 'caught' it. Not sure if it's contagious because she doesn't seem as affected.... Though.
1. Would extract some blood samples, using arcane shield as a petri dish
2. Targeted clean spell to only clean the 'pure' sample out of the 'tainted' one, leaving behind, hopefully, samples of the disease.
3. Targeted clean of the disease]
[notenough: Slip]
#5. Jovial [May swap bone w/ succubus.]
Bone Charm
Surprising Ancestry* Innkeeper's daughter
[Not enough: Pimped Up]
[Maybe]
# Curious Mermaid
Sunken Treasure
Love between worlds Scroll?/Q:customize
5. Captured Fairy
Familiar
[maybe]
Size Envy Scroll?/Skin deep quest
Fairy Dust Empowers Moonshade elixir even more!
# Werebear Hermit
Moonshade Elixir scroll=unlimited healing?
# Cheeky thief
Steal
Trap Mastery
# Tome of the Inner World
Sacrifice Combos with succubus & quest
[Wonder if I can copy the tome]
# Exotic Elven Ambass
Aura Reading
Radial Magic
Business Insider
Price of Love

Quests:4
4. Hell's Gate > Woe to the Vanquished
- Not sure what 'honorably like a dwarf' entails.
2. Dark Shadows > Bless hoe; Ancesty+Lich would help
3. Royal Switcheroo> Royal Apology>marriage&land4lich
- Arcane shield to capture the potion?
1. Lich Returns > Littlest Lich [Heist/royal]
[lol, probably by design, when paired w/ switcheroo]
[maybe]
# Living Fortress > Spoils[weapon]/explosion=wizard
# Turbulent Sea > Waterbender staff +mermaid=amulet
# Depths of Greed > Stone of reincarn +dwarfvet
Edit: Bleh, format from copying from text.

Attachments

• Fanfriend.txt
    11.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Well, there is a website dedicated entirely to that. I put my story up there in case anybody wants to write alternate plots for it:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Well, there is a website dedicated entirely to that. I put my story up there in case anybody wants to write alternate plots for it:
I shall take it upon myself to write her meeting one hot brother pair after the other, but make them all divorcees.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
So, I'm currently obsessed with CYOA, having discovered some point based ones. One of them stood out, Fantasy Friend, having inspired me to write a bit. -- Not much, since it was while I was in a groggy state, from waking up.

Not sure why, but decided to share it with you guys, and see what you could come up with using the same set of choices.
Note: The image is kinda long, so couldn't attach it, but found it here: Fantasy Friends CYOA v1.1 - cyoa post - Imgur
Edit: May contain suggestive images; recommended for 13+

@Story: [groceries & purse? Male=shoulder sling]
Feeling around, as the light blinds my sleep weary eyes, my hands search for my blanket. As my eyes slowing accumulate, I see a field of green and brown. Startled awake by this discovery, I hastily get up, checking my bearings.

I was besides some dirt road, on a field of grass, with a forest off to the distance. On my person were:
1. Some of my outdoor clothes -- "When did I get changed?" I wondered.
2. A shoulder bag I don't remember owning -- It only had my phone in it!
3. And a bag of groceries, that I couldn't have bought. -- Sighing, "At least I have some food."

With nothing better to do, I picked a direction and walked. Following the road, I soon came up some walls and a line of people waiting to enter. As time progressed and the line moved, a man and woman arrived behind me. Nervous from being in a new place, or something else, I try asking them if there is a toll, but was ignored. No idea why, maybe a nervous tick or something, I decided to pull out my phone to check the time, and maybe see if I can call/text home. This seems to have caught the male pair's attention, "What is that artifact in your hands!?"

After an introduction--where I found out they were half-elves! And he was an enchanter--and explaining to him it's utility, he became intrigued. Maybe it's the nerves, the tone, or even how his gaze bore at the phone, but I saw an opportunity. "I wouldn't mind letting you play with it a bit, if you could teach me how to enchant." He explained how enchanting would consume too much of his time, but offered to teach me some utility magic. Thus I learnt some Lifestyle spells as we moved through the line. Somehow--Don't ask me, I'm still wondering. Maybe it was some training montage effect?--was able to learn all of them by the time we got into the walled city.

As we were to part--I needed to find some place to sleep, and a way to make money--I asked for my phone back. He was very reluctant to return it, and offered to buy it, listing prices, ending with his sister. "Uhh, sure I'll sell it-" before I could even finish my sentence, he had already run off. Turning to the sister, baring an equally exaggerated expression, "Did he just run off with my phone? Before negotiations even started?" I was very upset, but was somehow still calm enough to stir the conversation the direction I wanted: negotiations, with some threats of going to the guards about this.--Reminding her I could provide the phone was mine, having not mentioned how to turn it on/off, not showed them the passcode. There's even some pictures of me in there. Along with some emails to provide it belongs to my name.

As negotiations progress, and I was mentioned learning more magic and enchanting, we were interrupted by some Eccentric Old Wizard. Having overheard our conversation, he offered to take me as an apprentice, seeing as how I haven't been 'tainted' by the elements yet. He seemed crazy, so I didn't want to, but he was persistent, refusing to acknowledge my "No thanks."

In the end, I relented, and asked what he could teach me. They were all interesting, but the two that really stood out were Arcane Shield and Scroll Crafting. "I had read a story, Shell Mage, of someone using something similar to great purposes." was my explanation on why I wasn't interested in arcane missile as well. "As for Scroll crafting, I had an item, which the negotiations were for, that I feel could make much money, if I had this knowledge. Speaking of, would you mind another mentee?" He didn't seem to mind, thus, I had another card for the negotiations.

In the end, the enchanter was "too busy" to even hear our deal, thus it fell to his sister. All it took was a joking comment about how he did offer her up, and she might be able to make something similar with the wizards tutorage, one-upping him if he took too long. "Yes." She had decisively said. When asked to which, training or offer of her, she just repeated "yes." Even when joking that he hadn't specify: as a slave, sister, servant, or wife; all she answered was "yes."

"Uhh, okay." I cringed back, "Well, I should probably go find some food and board then." That seemed to snap her out, and after some hesitation recommended me an inn. Since I still didn't know my way around, the wizard had offered to take me there; not sure if he was equally put off, didn't want to lose me his apprentice, or what.

Thus, I was lead to the inn. As we sat, I remembered the bag of groceries; I had been carrying it around all this time! How could I forget about it!? I reprimanded myself. Opening it, as I don't remember what is inside, I found 10 Japanese bentos. "Huh, enough for 3~5 days." "Refrigerated." I mentally reminded myself, before mentally sighing, "How did I even buy these? I don't even live in Japan." As I was taking one out, I touched the table, and it was stained! Hurriedly I cast clean, on both my hands and the table. This seemed to have gotten the attention of the Inn-keep, who sent his daughter over. "What was that light? Were you casting a spell?" Before seeing the boxed lunch "Did you conjure that!?"

Not off to a great start, I hurriedly explained it was just some utility magic to clean the tables, and I had brought the boxes and bag with me, before offering an apology about the light show. After hearing my piece, and giving me and company a once over, she screamed "Dad!" It nearly gave me a fright, when a grizzled man came, smacking a club into his hand all the while. "Put that thing away dad, this gentleman just said something interesting." she then repeated my explanation of the boxed lunch. This got his interest, thus I heated two--me and wizard, they'd take--up and show them the process. "Ha! Selling packed food, why didn't I think of that!" he said while clapping me on the shoulder and heading back to the kitchen.

"Can I get you anything?" the girl continued.
"Uh, just a room or two for my companion here," I motioned to the old wizard.
She gave me the price, and nervously, I rubbed the back of my neck while replying, I didn't actually have any from here, and explained how I had something to sell, but the negotiation had stalled a bit. When I had stated who I was selling to, and how I came to the establishment, she commented with an "Ohh, yeah she comes here to get a drink and complain about him all the time~" and sitting down besides me, "How are you going to pay for the room and board?"

"Uhh, well, you two seemed interested in the bentos, so how about I give you two as a sample for a couple days. And, as I've just shown you, I know some utility magic. Maybe I could use it to help with the tables and such as fare?" To my shenanigan, I was pulled to the father, and entered another set of negotiations. Was even handed some ale when my voice cracked. "Bleh" was my reaction to it. Before the innkeeper could be off put, I hurriedly explained I'm use to cold ones, before using magic to chill it. Interested, he asked for a taste, and not wanting to make a big deal, I said, "Sure, go ahead." He took a couple swigs, before downing the mug. "[Daughter] get this fine young man another mug." he called, and thus negotiations continued.

In the end, I only drank one mug, commenting "Thanks, but I don't usually drink this type of alcohol." when asked. The inn-keep, with a glint in his eyes, asked me to elaborate. "Uhh, I don't know much on how it's made, but..." and so I explained what I knew about alcohol making--Mainly how yeast is cultivated for the specific purpose and how it converts sugar into alcohol; and how different alcohol is made using different ingredients/processes--and distillation. "Haha, just a font of knowledge aren't you!" and a couple more claps on the shoulders was his response.

The discussions ended, and an agreement finalized. This month/week's board was free, if I wanted food I'd need to help chill some ale and clean some for some room and board. Further recompense would be up for discussion at the end of the month.

I went back to our table, hungrier, only to find two bentos had been consumed, with a third in the process. Looking at the wizard, his only response was, "What?"
Shaking my head, I replied, "Nothing, got us some rooms for the month." Before heating & digging into my own food, mentally sighing, "Already lost 6 boxes." After the meal, we were guided to our rooms. For the rest of the day, I was taught to cast Arcane shield.

[... And the juice/flow is peppering off; just needed a seduction bit--inn girl comes to pick up the bentos, deciding to stop lessons there & sleep.

[Maybe:
Got woken up by her later on, wanting to be taught utility magic. Candle was some aphrodisiacs incense, so we ended up bumping uglies. Didn't want to marry yet, and being smart enough to realize the candle trick. -- duration extended to month here?

Something about: Looking back, I can see why they'd do this. They probably thought I was some journeying nobleman, looking for worldly experience, traveling with a mentor/grandfather. Thought me not drinking was because I was onto their game--getting me drunk for a better deal-- and knew I wouldn't blow, with how I stirred the convo to help them. May have even been interested in the daughter, with how much knowledge/ideas I gave & how little I asked for.]

Day 2 I'd visit elven maid and ask her to help me sell the 'trash': grocery bag + boxes. And study the scroll crafting w/.

Progress on studies for a couple days before going to adventure guild, to earn money. Sooner or later meet the talented loli and/or the Jovial Skeleton boss.
Companions: 5 [perks:8; 1 per comp+3]
#1. Half-Elven Enchanter
Utility Magic Helps clean; Inn syn
Half-Elven Maid Need a perk for this?
- Wonder if sister know's magic.
- wonder the list are the only ones; ex. does he know how to conjure light? Seems useful for allnighters.
[Notenough: Ring of Succubus; combo + extra friend]
[Wonder if I can negotiate for the mobile;
Eg. Teach me utility + artefact to replace it, along with maid, since it's so unique. And I'm gonna need money
Or have him train w/ during Old Wiz' training, to help along the research.]
#2. Old Wizard
Arcane Shield* Shell Mage
Scroll Crafting Copy tutorage is useful.
[Note: Wonder if we can copy phone's effects; whoops?]
[Turn the shield into wires, hexagonal aegis, shards, etc]
[notenough: Arcane Missile]
#3. Innkeeper's Daughter
FwB ancestry=take her away?
[notenough:goodnighter] club.
[Extra: But what is in the middle?]
#4. Talented loli
Family Trouble Moonshade elixir?/ancestry
[Wonder if I can 'clean' the waste sickness, since they 'caught' it. Not sure if it's contagious because she doesn't seem as affected.... Though.
1. Would extract some blood samples, using arcane shield as a petri dish
2. Targeted clean spell to only clean the 'pure' sample out of the 'tainted' one, leaving behind, hopefully, samples of the disease.
3. Targeted clean of the disease]
[notenough: Slip]
#5. Jovial [May swap bone w/ succubus.]
Bone Charm
Surprising Ancestry* Innkeeper's daughter
[Not enough: Pimped Up]
[Maybe]
# Curious Mermaid
Sunken Treasure
Love between worlds Scroll?/Q:customize
5. Captured Fairy
Familiar
[maybe]
Size Envy Scroll?/Skin deep quest
Fairy Dust Empowers Moonshade elixir even more!
# Werebear Hermit
Moonshade Elixir scroll=unlimited healing?
# Cheeky thief
Steal
Trap Mastery
# Tome of the Inner World
Sacrifice Combos with succubus & quest
[Wonder if I can copy the tome]
# Exotic Elven Ambass
Aura Reading
Radial Magic
Business Insider
Price of Love

Quests:4
4. Hell's Gate > Woe to the Vanquished
- Not sure what 'honorably like a dwarf' entails.
2. Dark Shadows > Bless hoe; Ancesty+Lich would help
3. Royal Switcheroo> Royal Apology>marriage&land4lich
- Arcane shield to capture the potion?
1. Lich Returns > Littlest Lich [Heist/royal]
[lol, probably by design, when paired w/ switcheroo]
[maybe]
# Living Fortress > Spoils[weapon]/explosion=wizard
# Turbulent Sea > Waterbender staff +mermaid=amulet
# Depths of Greed > Stone of reincarn +dwarfvet
Edit: Bleh, format from copying from text.
Cool, as if I carried my mother bag of groceries I might as well be able to survive for years In the other world

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Grab tome of the inner world, and realize you don't need anything else- tho bonus points if you also chose skin deep for making new friends more easily~~

SuperHeiyan

Thing that many people mistakenly call CYOA this day is merely "character generator". It doesn't have anything after that part. Supplementary material? Fine. I even had some fun with interactive ones on Neocities, but writing book with that CYOA character/world generators where you pick options but then also write challenges for yourself is like being player and DM at the same time in the tabletop RPG game, weird way to mentally masturbate on your own power fantasy.
Almost any of such "point buy" systems are massively broken too. So even if something else will help you write with you separating "player" and "DM" it's tend to be all about loopholes.
At that point, it's much better to just play video games like Pathfinder: Wright of the Righterous or read actual Choose Your Own Adventure books. Choice of Games/Hosted Games have massive collection of interactive stories.

Last edited: