Weird Cultivation Insults

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
"Katow one million times and call me Grandpa!" -- Every Young Master trope ever.

I don't understand how this is considered insulting at all. Is it because elders are highly venerated in many Asian cultures?

Can someone help me understand these supposed insults?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I don't know man. Cultivation stories always seem to turn common sense on its head before dropping it down thirty flights of stairs and setting it on fire for "cultivation points". Never made any sense to me.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
"Katow one million times and call me Grandpa!" -- Every Young Master trope ever.

I don't understand how this is considered insulting at all. Is it because elders are highly venerated in many Asian cultures?

"From now on, your cultivation name will be Wang. (Desire)"
"Your sister's Desire!"

I guess it's mostly language differences and cultures. I mean everyone curses different. My mother tongue, which is an African language, you basically insult someone's intelligence and their family... :blob_catflip:

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
"From now on, your cultivation name will be Wang. (Desire)"
"Your sister's Desire!"

I guess it's mostly language differences and cultures. I mean everyone curses different. My mother tongue, which is an African language, you basically insult someone's intelligence and their family... :blob_catflip:
Do you speak Afrikaans?

SailusGebel

Here's a somewhat silly explanation. When a young master tells you to call him a grandpa, it means that he fucked your grandma and impregnated her. It makes your blood grandpa a cuckold. And as Chinese are respectful to their elders to the point of reverence(at least in novels), it's not only insulting your elder(grandpa), no-no. It makes you look as if you are from a heritage of cucks. It's the greatest insult to insecure men.

eun_

Pretty much yes. The older someone's age, the more respected/venerated he should be.

If I recall what's the reason behind those kind of insults, it because of the implication that aside from the speaker (The one who calls himself older), everyone around him are simple brats who doesn't know about the world or experienced harsh moments in life.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
COUR

COURTING DEATH PINEAPPLE PARADOX!

longer

Balls
Katow one million times
Since the second half of the insult was already explained, I'll give a totally accurate explanation of this.

So in East Asian culture, kowtowing is an act to show respect and display that you are subservient to someone, though a million would be beyond humiliating. Here are some equivalents to a million kowtows: putting on a collar with a leash and barking for the person holding your leash, letting someone use your back as a footrest or straight up chair, letting someone fuck your wife, mom, father, and maybe the dog as well.

Amok

grblbrbl
doing a million anythings for the sake of social graces would be absurd in any society... let's say a kowtow takes 6 seconds, so a million of 'em would take one about 69 and a half days. I mean sure, someone fucking my dog is unfortunate, but rather that than wasting more than two months of my life enacting some kinda useless gesture.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Rather than a direct insult, you coerce the other into giving up their dignity.
The knowtowing should be clear. Lowering your body as sign of submission is pretty universal.

As for the latter: In a society where your elders are a near absolute authority with immense prestige, acknowledging a stranger your age as on par with them in turn makes you admit your vast inferiority.
In addition, your elders' dignity is also your responsibility to uphold, which you would fail by caving.

(This is how I understand the values presented in fiction, I do not mean to make any statement about present culture)

D

Deleted member 54065

At least for my culture, I can confirm that when we are called 'grandpa' is quite an annoying, if not insulting, moment (unless we are old enough to be called one, i.e. 60 years old).

I think the proper word there is 'kowtow'? That's an extreme way of prostrating one's self in submission to a 'superior' person. Alexander the Great tried to have it implemented in his empire, but got rebuff instead.