Welcome thread for the newbies!

VictorDLopez

Hi Folks,

My name is Victor and I only publish non-fiction and fiction under my real name--likewise on other writers' sites. I'm a professor of legal studies at a research university so most of my professional writing is non-fiction related to my primary field. But I started writing fiction and poetry in my early teens. My output is modest (two books of poetry, three short story collections and most recently a novel).

I prefer classic poetry to modern poetry, though I write both. In fiction, my favorite authors are primarily in hard and soft science fiction (Niven, Heinlein, Pournelle, Clarke, Barnes, Frank Herbert, . . .) and fantasy/sword and sorcery (Roger Zelazny, Robert Jordan, Ursula Le Guin, Terry Goodkind, Anne McCaffrey, George RR Martin, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, . . .). My preference runs to authors whose stories have depth and characters that are relatable (the good, the bad and the downright ugly) and will leave us thinking once their story is done.

On a personal level, my interests are wide ranging as is my formal and informal education (natural science, social sciences, liberal arts and law). I am a very good cook who primarily gravitates to the cuisine of Italy and Spain but enjoys every food group and appreciates the wonderful diversity in food and all things the world offers--save for bugs of any kind as a protein source. Music is also important to me, though my hearing is limited these days, and I love to sing and play music though not in public. I am a decent mechanic and built computers from parts in the early days of the PC revolution, and still maintain and upgrade my computers and electronic gadgets.

What I post here is a bit off the beaten path for this site. My novel, Hire Lernin', is fiction based on my actual experience at the start of my academic career as the dean of a for-profit school of business in New York City in the late 1980s in circumstances that closely parallel those of the protagonist. It has drama, romance, humor and a personal quest from a protagonist who sets out to accomplish what he is repeatedly told is impossible. I am porting it online here after having uploaded the complete novel to Royal Road in both the original English and my new Spanish translation. I also ported my latest complete book of short stories to Royal Road (Echoes of the Mind's Eye) which is an eclectic mix of speculative fiction that includes hard and soft SF, psychological thrillers, romance, humor, with connecting threads to the nature of reality and the interplay between the duality of human nature with our feet firmly planted in clay and our eyes always looking skyward yearning to fly. I am posting a number of the short stories here individually as well. When permitted to do so based on an acceptable number of posts, I will add these to my signature line. For now, if you read any of my fiction here I would welcome your comments, ratings and/or reviews.

My fiction is widely available in book form at most book sellers, but as I'm sure is true of most of us here, I just want to be read. As a New York attorney, writing (including my textbooks published through traditional publishers) is the least productive use of my time in terms of earning income. If I choose to go back to my law practice tomorrow, I will bill my time at more than $400 an hour and have more clients than I can serve. Writing is a labor of love and perhaps a sign of mental illness or at least impaired judgment. But I would not have it any other way.

Jacks

Hi, my name is Jacks. I named myself that because it's short and easy to remember :D
You can call me anything Jack related. Jackal, Jackie, Jack O' Lantern, whatever you like. Oh, except the bad ones like j**k off." :((

I recently joined Scribble Hub to share my first series with the readers and authors of Scribble Hub.

I love fantasy/action/isekai genres on anime, novels and manga.

If you are interested in reading a fantasy/isekai genre that started its story in the modern world.
Feel free to check out: Jade Edge

Thebluedoo

Hi I am Thebluedoo or blue as my nickname
I like games and sometimes dip my toes in coding
I mostly read Adventure but also romance if I feel like being empty
Currently it is the beginning after the end, I like it because the MC does not get op out of nowhere it slowly builds up to the power he has
I am currently waiting for my laptop to be fixed to work on Relics of time

While I know most of the users here are migrating from Novel Update Forums but I'm pretty sure along with the ones from the other forum there will be members that are completely new so that's the purpose of this thread! To welcome the newbies.

An example of the intro would probably be good so here's mine
I'm called Ophious but people here usually call me Ophi or Phiphi for short
Well since I'm here you can probably tell I have a deep interest in reading novels, games anime and manga are also things I like, basically I'm like an average person. I do like cooking a little and gardening is starting to become a boom in my family and I might join
Current favourite has got to be my sister the villainess by cupcake ninja, there will be r18 scenes later but it'll be indicated in the chapter title and isn't necessary to read for the plot! I like it since it's quote funny
Genres I prefer are fantasy, comedy and slice of life
Not really into deep dark stuff
Hi, I am new to this website. I come from wattpad and I'm looking for people to talk to and hopefully some readers!
My name is Kayla Paige, you can call me Kaye.
I like to write, draw, and make music.
I typically read gay fiction, erotic and romantic.
My favorite novel I've read was called '1994' by a Archive of Our Own writer named 'Vee'. It was an Eren Jaeger x Levi Ackerman fanfiction. Not exactly a fan of the ship now for multiple reasons, but that story stuck out in my head. It's about Levi being a drag queen and Eren falling for him. It's a really interesting read. Other than that, I don't actually read much. But, I'd like to change that. Hopefully I can find some good erotica with fun plots. :3

Kittylovely

Nickname: Kittylovely

Hobbies/interests: Reading and writing novels, reading manwhas, studying

Genres you read often: BL quick transmigration novels, System action novels, no romance + hardcore action novel

Your favorite novel/read; My Vampire system (because a weak to strong MC type is cool) and Better to be a beta (i like quick transmigration bls)

My Story (ies): https://www.scribblehub.com/series/829184/this-transmigration-seems-somewhat-strange/

Raymann

Da_Villainess™ (¬‿¬)ψ
Hello,
Name/Nickname --- Ray.... RayRay..... Arayray....Ara.Ara... :-]

Hobbies/interests --- thinking and writing.

Genres you read often/tags you often look for --- isekai, villainess, fantasy, game-system, reincarnated.

Your favourite novel/read and WHY; --- villainess and grimorie.
This was the novel I came looking for on the site to read. Plus, I like revenge stories

My stories :: I tried to write few isekai myself but then dropped.
Currently working on a transmigrated villainess story.
"They laughed when villainess died"

Raysena

So just introduce yourselves with basic stuff like:

Name/Nickname you want us to call you
Hobbies/interests
Genres you read often/tags you often look for
Your favourite novel/read and WHY; please state why at least since we wanna know more about what type of reads you like and it might help people to find out if they can contribute to your reading list
and even some of the stories you wrote on scribble hub.
Then add anything you like

Notes Please read first!

I think it would be advisable to note that we shouldn't divulge too much personal information other than necessary like your age and address. I know I wouldn't.

Name: my username is fine.
Hobbies: lately reading manga, playing games, watching youtube, just standard generic things.

Genres: Ugly Bastard (distinguish it from somewhat related but not quite the same: Chonky Gentleman), **R, r*p*, isekai cheat (this one is a must for a novel).

Favorite novel: Smartphone isekai, ***ve harem in labyrinth of another world, shinka no mi, mushoku tensei, unique job [Tanedzuke Ojisan].

Why? I love isekai cheat, note that the cheat part is important. But I'm fairly open minded on what can be considered a cheat: normal cheat, modern world knowledge cheat, plot knowledge cheat, past life memory cheat, formerly adult reborn/young again cheat, even implicit plot armor cheat in that new-ish "realistic" isekai doctor manga. Other than that, for hentai, I'm mostly into Ugly Bastard (UB), which is distinct to Chonky Gentleman(CG), e.g UB Hypnoblink vs CG Enkou Ojisan.

My story on SH:
Reincarnated into Mecha Game World (isekai cheat)
Ankle-Deep into the dungeon (isekai cheat + UB)

Jay_stylez

My name is jay

I mostly read and make novels check. Out my most recent one

"I prefer novels with women leads, but they have to be either GL (girls' love) or have no romance at all. I enjoy reading novels with male leads if they are BL (boys' love), as long as that is the only way they are portrayed. Additionally, I prefer novels that include action and fantasy elements. After a while, stories focused solely on romance can become boring, so I appreciate some excitement, and perhaps even some tragedy with characters facing death." also would love to make so author and friends that like be reading.

What I'm reading

Immortal Ice empress and her path to vengeance.

I love dark shit, and this just Hits that spot.

The spider Queen

I love spiders, and the idea of spider and cutivation together, just sounds like a match made in heaven to me.

Last edited:

kaisei

Hi everyone, I'm Kaisei.

I usually write short stories and novellas, but I've been branching out to work on longer term projects. My current project involves a story about an author who ends their life to unleash their ouevre on the world and his literary theorist ex-wife who has to clean up his mess.

Happy to be here!

Vainancholy

Uhh, howdy there, I’m Vainancholy, but you can call me Vain.

I’m a hobbyist writer, and I grew up with JRPG’s and Anime as a kid, which sorta shaped my tastes in story and style.

I’m not a very big reader of stories, I usually prefer more visual mediums like manga and such, but I can’t exactly draw, so I take what I can get.

I’m doubling down here from Royal Road to kinda get my story a bit more of an audience. I’m not the most social, but I’ll try my best to talk around here, meet new people, and such.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
Hobbies/interests
Your favourite novel/read and WHY; please state why at least since we wanna know more about what type of reads you like and it might help people to find out if they can contribute to your reading list
MtgWolfie, feel free to call me Wolfie or Wolf if it's easier to type
I usually read fantasy or romance, but I write fantasy/smut.
Favorite novel - I've got 3. A child Called 'It' (for the overcoming abuse aspect), Tuesdays with Morrie (I read it in high school, and it clicked with me. i reread it at least once a year), and No Man's Land (Historical fiction novel about the american civil war, and underage kids lying to fight, and the troubles and issues they face).
Stories I wrote on scribble hub - DragonBound, a fantasy smut novel about a half-dragon (Smut scenes aren't involving the main cast yet, as 2/3 of them are underage), and A Succubus' Love, a fantasy smut novel about a guy who accidentally summons a succubus and declines any and all aspects of sex. They eventually decide to date. and a handful of one shots in my one shot novel. links for these are below. finally, Lay the Dragon, my first novel that desperately needs a rewrite (it's rough and unpolished, as I was kind of just rushing through it, but that's planned for it's anniversary).

finally, anything i like? Well, I've been here a while but I've only been active on the forums for about a month or so now. but I didn't realize this thread was here. other than that, I like music, games, and movies, and I don't really get embarrassed, so feel free to chat with me about anything.

LadyKitty

Name/Nickname: Kitty
Hobbies/interests: Writing, drawing, listening to music
Genres you read often/tags you often look for:
fantasy, GL, Sci-fi, Modern time
Your favourite novel/read:
My favorite novel on SH is Fiends for Hire. The author has talent and the story is slice of life and action pack with anti-heros. Also, of course The Song of Wings, for its high fantasy in modern time and has a lot of awesome fighting scenes.
Meow

ACNP000

Hey howdy, I'm Pickles aka AlmostCertainlyNotPickles aka ACNP000

Hobbies/interests
I'm an industrial engineer by trade, but I enjoy card games like Magic, Dominion, and Keyforge, and video games like Torchlight II and Dwarf Fortress. I also enjoy cooking, reading, writing, and playing with cats.

I like nonstandard writing like satire and comedy, and I'm always chasing elements of that writing style described by Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, and Robert Rankin where the writer seems to be telling the world like they're recollecting a joke.

Your favourite novel/read and WHY

My favorite novel is either Nation or Small Gods, both are by Terry Pratchett. If it's Small Gods, it's because I like the risk he took to write a one-off story about the humbling of a huge god who has to join forces with his one remaining true follower. Of course, it's more than that. It's also a commentary on how religion in our world likely formed, told in a way that it doesn't matter if you believe in any specific god, and it also doesn't take itself seriously.
If it's Nation, it's for many of the same reasons above, but also applied to the formation of civilization. It does take itself a little more seriously, but it's got a pass considering I've invested so much time in reading his other works.

...and even some of the stories you wrote on scribble hub.

The story I'm currently publishing on Scribblehub is a work of mine I've spent a few years cultivating and drafting. It's called Natural Magic, and it's about a kobold named Chicken who has a huge destiny that no one can see properly. The orc tribes are uniting under an indestructible leader, and this guy has some weird ideas. At the same time, the orc Penelope, exiled for not being an orc, must fight for her right to live among them and prove to them and herself that they're wrong. And to the south, the coral reef tended to by Amerigo is getting overrun by migrating merfolk.

I'd be appreciative if you check it out and give me some opinions, even if it's not your cup of tea/kettle of fish/crawlspace full of onions.

Hello! I'm SomeAwkwardFlame but you can call me Flame i guess!

Hobbies/interests
Other than writing, gaming, painting, games development, Ilike to climb and have a dog.

Smut :blob_cringe: Mostly Isekai/Fantasy, Girls Love, Futa, but dabble in a lot of stuff. I like variety.

Your favourite novel/read and WHY; please state why at least since we wanna know more about what type of reads you like and it might

All time lifetime favourite is Terry Pratchett - Small gods, but anything by the master. I love the characters, how real they feel and the world they live in, how they talk about very serious things in easy way. I don't know everyone just feels like a real, funny person.

I've just started publishing my first story which is an isekai about a software dev who becomes her roleplaying character and gets some interesting abilities. She is a very shy nervous person, who gets put into the body of a berserker futa, who have to interact with people in various ways. Hilarity and hijinks ensue.

I've been writing for a really long time but never actually published or shown my work to a wider audience. I'm super nervous about it, but really willing to do feedback swaps and connect with other new authors! I hope to make some friends on here!